RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,671
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 516
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 7 2008, 06:30 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Yes On 'Prop. 8' Disappoints Takei

While the passing of the controversial California Proposition 8 seems to reverse the recent trend towards offering marriage for homosexuals, recently-married George Takei vows to carry on the fight.

As reported by The Boston Herald, Takei was disappointed, but determined to go forward. "There are going to be heartbreaks, setbacks and sacrifices to be made," he said, "but we will soldier on."

Proposition 8 was meant to amend the California Constitution to eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry in California. Furthermore, it provided that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California. Passage of the proposition is not expected to invalidate marriages already conducted.

A map of the voting results can be seen here (select "Proposition 8" where it says "Available Races" in the drop-down box,) where it can be seen that the Proposition was defeated in many of the coastal counties, including most of the counties around San Francisco. More rural areas and the counties which are home to both Los Angeles and San Diego voted for Prop. 8.

As reported by US Magazine, passage of Prop. 8 cast a pall over a day which had been a celebration for those who had supported Barack Obama for President. "Last night, I was filled with pride to be an American," said Takei. "It was an exhilarating night of celebration. Barack Obama's victory was a miraculous moment in our history. It was a night of joy, yet, President-elect Obama reminded us of the longroad, the steep road, that lies ahead for us as a nation," added Takei. "And indeed, as a Californian, I was profoundly mindful of the challenges ahead. It was astounding to think that the hard-won equality that made my recent marriage to Brad Altman would no longer be possible for others. The evening became bittersweet."

To read more, head to the articles located here and here.

Old November 7 2008, 06:56 AM   #2
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: Yes On 'Prop. 8' Disappoints Takei

It disappoints me too. I don't know what's worse: the fact Prop 8 passed or the fact that people came out to vote for it. It was a very selfish smack in the face for a portion of society who simply wants to enjoy the same priveledges that heterosexual couples do. I am disgusted that this type of legislation can be passed in the 21st century. I thought we were better than this.
Old November 7 2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Harvey
Admiral

It may be the 21st century, but there's a lot of people who have lived most of their lives in the 20th. It's hard for them to change. Demographics show that. Which means--in the ten years, maybe twenty--this will finally go the other way. But it's a long time to wait for something that shouldn't even be an issue to change.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old November 7 2008, 12:26 PM   #4
USS Intrepid
Commodore

It's a complete disgrace that Prop 8 passed. Those who voted for it should be ashamed of themselves for giving in to fear and bigotry.
Old November 7 2008, 02:22 PM   #5
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

^Exactly, deeply ashamed of themsevles. Who honestly gets up in the morning and thinks "Oh what a lovely day, I think I'll trot down to the voting booth and trample on someones rights today."
Old November 7 2008, 05:17 PM   #6
fennrysha
Commander

Well, just an objective analysis here but, like it or not, the majority of the public is not in favor of gay marriage. (And both presidential candidates were not even in favor of it). And the fact that Prop 8 passed is as much a vote against legislation from the judicial branch (as making gay marriage legal was) as it is against gay marriage itself (and maybe more).
Old November 7 2008, 06:20 PM   #7
NCC621
Lieutenant Commander

fennrysha wrote: View Post
Well, just an objective analysis here but, like it or not, the majority of the public is not in favor of gay marriage.

You may be correct about the opinion of the majority, but remember that this nation was founded on the principle of liberty for all, including minorities.

The majority has no right to tell me whom I may marry, just as I am not entitled to tell you how to live your life. The right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" is firmly established in the Declaration of Independence.

I am a straight man and I am outraged at this un-American attempt to take away basic human rights from fellow Americans.
Old November 7 2008, 06:53 PM   #8
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I was very upset about it as well.
Old November 7 2008, 07:06 PM   #9
USS Intrepid
Commodore

fennrysha wrote: View Post
Well, just an objective analysis here but, like it or not, the majority of the public is not in favor of gay marriage. (And both presidential candidates were not even in favor of it). And the fact that Prop 8 passed is as much a vote against legislation from the judicial branch (as making gay marriage legal was) as it is against gay marriage itself (and maybe more).
The opinion of the majority is utterly irrelevant. This is an issue that should never have been put to the vote.
Old November 7 2008, 07:52 PM   #10
upinout
Lieutenant Junior Grade

You know, the majority of people used to think the world was flat. Even though most people believed that, it didn't make them right.

The majority of people used to beleive that the earth was the center of the universe. But just because they were the majority, it didn't make them right.

The majority of people used to think slavery was an acceptable practice. But just because they were the majority it didn't make them right.

As such, even though a majority of people think being gay is wrong, it doesn't make them right, either.

The constitution is supposed to ensure equal rights for all people, it's not supposed to be used as a tool by the majority to suppress the rights of a minority group.

I thought this country was founded on the principle of freedom to believe what you want without fear of persecution and punishment, yet gay people are persecuted by the religous right, and punished by society as a whole by being denied equal rights.
Old November 7 2008, 08:13 PM   #11
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

It ain't over yet.
Old November 7 2008, 08:54 PM   #12
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Life is full of disappointments...

Get used to it.
Old November 7 2008, 09:19 PM   #13
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Let's also not forget, it's a pretty slim majority that voted for. So while it's sad that hate and fear won this one, it's worth remembering that the walls are still crumbling, just not as quickly as we'd like.
Old November 7 2008, 09:26 PM   #14
upinout
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PKerr wrote: View Post

Get used to it.

That kind of remark would be appropriate to a child who didn't get the toy he wanted on Christmas morning.

Applying that statement to the loss of equal rights for an entire group of people is just callous and rude.
Old November 7 2008, 09:42 PM   #15
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

upinout wrote: View Post
PKerr wrote: View Post

Get used to it.

That kind of remark would be appropriate to a child who didn't get the toy he wanted on Christmas morning.

Applying that statement to the loss of equal rights for an entire group of people is just callous and rude.
Hasn't stopped about half a dozen other bigots on this site jumping with glee.

How anyone can be so callous I have no idea.