Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old November 15 2008, 07:02 AM   #1
SLWatson
Captain

Send a message via AIM to SLWatson
Still On-Topic: Story Illustration?

Yes, this is more about the fiction than it is the artwork. So, I'm not gonna post this in the art forum -- this is about specific fanfiction illustration.

I know there are artists on the site, but most of the ones I've seen have been model-builders or 3-D renderers. There are a handful of traditional artists too. But my question, is how many people HERE on the fanfiction forum have story art that goes with their tales? Do you draw it yourself? Do you commission someone else to? Do you trade for pictures?

Tell me about it!
SLWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Still On-Topic: Story Illustration?

I have a few drawings that go with my work, yes.

Here are three for The Thirteenth Order...

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=63026 (Large cast ensemble--final version is at the bottom of the thread.)

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=71547 (Mathenite species design)

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=72547 (An experiment in clothing design--Daro is the subject. He'll wear this in a short story to follow The Thirteenth Order.)

I've also requested two very cool photomanips from Rabbitooth...I'll have to get permission to post them, though.
Old November 15 2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, my child-scrawl stick figures are not in high demand. Besides, all I can manage to draw is a poor rendition of a burning Constitution-class starship... burning... always burning... I just can't get it out of my head.

Sorry, too much coffee tonight.
Old November 15 2008, 07:22 AM   #4
SLWatson
Captain

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I have a few drawings that go with my work, yes.

Here are three for The Thirteenth Order...

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=63026 (Large cast ensemble--final version is at the bottom of the thread.)

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=71547 (Mathenite species design)

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=72547 (An experiment in clothing design--Daro is the subject. He'll wear this in a short story to follow The Thirteenth Order.)

I've also requested two very cool photomanips from Rabbitooth...I'll have to get permission to post them, though.
I remembered the last one, because I had commented on it; the Mathenite is a pretty neat design. Reminds me of a critter you would find perfectly comfortable outside of a pyramid, with the elegant nose.

And geez, that first one is awesome in the tiny details you put in. I can't imagine how tired you had to be when that was done! I can sincerely believe you spent fifteen hours on it -- I woulda been sobbing after a half hour!

Gibraltar wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, my child-scrawl stick figures are not in high demand. Besides, all I can manage to draw is a poor rendition of a burning Constitution-class starship... burning... always burning... I just can't get it out of my head.

Sorry, too much coffee tonight.
LMAO! Poor Gibralter. The little ship that can't catch a break. But, really, if you can draw a stick-figure, you can draw anything. Have you ever looked into rendering her in 3D, or no?

I draw some, both gift art (or trade art) for other peoples' stories, and some for my own. I haven't bothered posting any of those yet, but here's one that I drew of Scotty for someone else's story (I know, someone else?! But she's a friend and did a good job writing him.); Wacom, Photoshop CS2 and about an hour or so.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...iorities1a.jpg

The story is pretty good, too; called, loosely, It Went Bang.
Old November 16 2008, 11:59 AM   #5
CeJay
Commodore

Star Eagle Adventures was always going to be a series of novels and as such I wanted them to have some form of cover art.

Additionally each novel also has a teaser poster. (You can find them all at StarEagleAdventures.com).

Unfortunately I'm not an artist myself and so the covers tend to be a mixture of different images combined in Photoshop. They might not always look it but I do spend a fair amount of time on those, including getting permissions from the original artists. (Time probably better invested in writing the damn things)

I've been thinking about commissioning some images for the main characters to adore future covers. I'm not a big fan of photo-manipulations so I would have to think of other, more costly formats. Not sure that will ever happen.

Now with complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 01:18 PM   #6
Mistral
Vice Admiral

CeJay-just find a true artist that can render your images for you-then use a scanner and go from there-mucho cheap.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 06:50 PM   #7
SLWatson
Captain

CeJay wrote: View Post
Star Eagle Adventures was always going to be a series of novels and as such I wanted them to have some form of cover art.

Additionally each novel also has a teaser poster. (You can find them all at StarEagleAdventures.com).

Unfortunately I'm not an artist myself and so the covers tend to be a mixture of different images combined in Photoshop. They might not always look it but I do spend a fair amount of time on those, including getting permissions from the original artists. (Time probably better invested in writing the damn things)
Photoshop rules. It's my favorite program.

I've been thinking about commissioning some images for the main characters to adore future covers. I'm not a big fan of photo-manipulations so I would have to think of other, more costly formats. Not sure that will ever happen.
You can look around DeviantArt; there are a lot of artists there with a lot of talent who work cheap. Depending on the style you want, of course. My friend Mel asks for $15 for a full-color portrait, and her style tends into the hyper-realistic style. I'd offer to trade with you, but I have a feeling my more comic-bookish style would probably not be what you're after. ;-)
Old November 16 2008, 09:14 PM   #8
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Actually, I had a whole thread of drawings I did for Star Trek: MY Way posted in the Art forum...but I didn't update often enough and it got nuked in one of the cleanups in the old forum. (shrug)

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 09:29 PM   #9
SLWatson
Captain

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Actually, I had a whole thread of drawings I did for Star Trek: MY Way posted in the Art forum...but I didn't update often enough and it got nuked in one of the cleanups in the old forum. (shrug)
That's kind of a shame; have you ever thought of posting them elsewhere?
Old November 16 2008, 09:40 PM   #10
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

SLWatson wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
That's kind of a shame; have you ever thought of posting them elsewhere?
Actually, my thinking was I'd do better story-related work and post them in a new thread here...I just haven't got around to it yet.

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 10:33 PM   #11
captcalhoun
Admiral

Starscape, Gandalf and ...another guy (heh) did some photo manipulations of the main characters for me. they're available in the encyclopaedia on my site.

i hacked together some crappy profile shots of the TOS era ships from my stories.

i also made a Wraith-class development patch and Rat Boy (IIRC) did a dediction plaque for the Wraith.

i also made a ship-patch for the USS Taurus, like the Enterprsie-null's arrowhead.

and a Special Ops patch

they can also be found in the encyclopaedia.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote