CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 14 2009, 09:49 AM   #76
Kaziarl
Commodore

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Kaziarl wrote: View Post
Hmm... wonder whats in sector 000, I would assume there is one.
Emergency Reset Button.
Aha! A way to explain every problem anyone has with the new movie!
Old January 14 2009, 11:41 AM   #77
Ol Scratch
Lieutenant Commander

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
The idea that having a registry starting with zero means the writer and director don't know what they are doing is so laughable, it's not either worth discussing....
Especially since Enterprise made such registry numbers canonical years ago. The final episode of The Next Generation also made odd-numbered nacelles canonical, as did a few kit-bashes throughout the franchise.

I personally think the Kelvin looks silly with only one nacelle, but I don't see anything wrong with it having only one.
Ol Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 12:50 PM   #78
Kaziarl
Commodore

Ol Scratch wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
The idea that having a registry starting with zero means the writer and director don't know what they are doing is so laughable, it's not either worth discussing....
Especially since Enterprise made such registry numbers canonical years ago. The final episode of The Next Generation also made odd-numbered nacelles canonical, as did a few kit-bashes throughout the franchise.

I personally think the Kelvin looks silly with only one nacelle, but I don't see anything wrong with it having only one.
It was cannon long before enterprise went on the air too

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Freedom_class

It's on screen, there for it's legit. The Cannon Bible Thumpers don't have much of an argument for the one nacelle issue.
Old January 14 2009, 03:59 PM   #79
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Psion wrote: View Post
If they weren't supposed to look like uniforms, then why does that Air Force Major recognize Kirk's get-up as a uniform?
He says something like "Is that supposed to be some kind of uniform?" I'd think that the rank braid on the sleeves is what suggested that to him.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 08:15 PM   #80
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Maybe they added the 0 prefix to registry numbers on all ships when the 1000th ship came out.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 08:58 PM   #81
Space Cowboy
Lieutenant Commander

USS Excelsior wrote: View Post
Maybe they added the 0 prefix to registry numbers on all ships when the 1000th ship came out.
And then later thought it looked silly, or they just wanted to change it up again by the time of TSFS. I'm fine with this. Any seconds?
Space Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 12:13 AM   #82
The Wormhole
Admiral

USS Grissom only had a three digit registry, despite being in service after the 1000th ship.
Old January 15 2009, 12:22 AM   #83
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
USS Grissom only had a three digit registry, despite being in service after the 1000th ship.
yawn...same old shit, different day

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 01:01 AM   #84
Praetor
Vice Admiral

So maybe the Kelvin is design # 05, model 14, whereas the Grissom was design # 63, model 8. Or maybe Starfleet requires a minimum 4-digit registry for ships of the line and not for science ships. There are ways to rationalize it. I get your point but I wouldn't get hung on that one thing when there are so many other things to nitpick.

Oh yeah, uniforms.

I wouldn't count on the Kelvin uniforms looking that much like those from 'The Cage.' Just my thought. They probably will seem more sweater-y like 'The Cage' ones did in comparison, but I don't think they'll be direct retreads. I'd also like to echo and agree what Cary L. Brown said upthread about the velour of TOS and its reimagined counterpart being a Class B uniform compared to the fancier stuff.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 01:42 AM   #85
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

Didn't this article already show us what the Kelvin crew will be wearing, as seen on the Intel site?

They don't look like Cage-era uniforms. They look like they're simpler in design than the TOS-era uniforms. They look not unlike the "All Good Things..." uniforms. They're probably a single color, dependent on department color. Blue or black appear to be command, gold or mustard appears to be for helmsmen, and George Kirk appears to be wearing black (definitely a darker shirt than Robau). That might be a clue as to why Jim Kirk is wearing black in much of the movie.
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 01:46 AM   #86
Semah
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Semah Send a message via Yahoo to Semah

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

You really need to let this go, man.
Semah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 02:08 AM   #87
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

The Kelvin uniforms do look like the Cage uniforms, similar those worn by the crew of the SS Colombia. Besides, didn't we already get a good look at these (Kelvin) uniforms way back in the first spy photos? Weren't they the grey SW types?
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 07:01 AM   #88
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
The Kelvin uniforms do look like the Cage uniforms, similar those worn by the crew of the SS Colombia. Besides, didn't we already get a good look at these (Kelvin) uniforms way back in the first spy photos? Weren't they the grey SW types?
You mean the Corporate Headquarters/Starfleet Academy pics, showing people in red, gray and black uniforms? I'd assume that those were supposed to have been set more than two decades after the events involving the Kelvin.

Last edited by M'Sharak; January 15 2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: added links
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 03:33 PM   #89
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

I think TIN_MAN is referring to even earlier spy photos from the previous fall.
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 06:38 PM   #90
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Okay, I remember those. Difficult to make out much, though, and the accompanying article doesn't mention grey in the colors they gave:

All of the “extras” are required to wear long black trench coats to cover the costumes but even then a few details were still revealed. If you look closely you will see some of the colors of the costumes. The colors visible are blue, red, dark green and white. Some one of the costumes’ cuff areas had a yellow or gold band around it. From what we can see they are somewhat reminiscent of the original costumes, at least the colors, just not so bright.
Does make a possible match with what little we've seen of the Kelvin uniform colors, though.

That doesn't look like a soundstage door, but I remember hearing something months back about an "industrial location" being used for the Enterprise Engineering sets. Perhaps the Kelvin sets were also in the same spot?
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote