Star Trek Uniform Laptop Bag And Fanny Pack
By: T'Bonz on May 26

Star Trek: The Fifty Year Mission
By: T'Bonz on May 26

Where No Garden Gnome Has Gone Before
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Scotland Yard Trekkie Fear
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 30 2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Mutara Nebula 1967
Captain

Better landlords: The Ropers vs Mr. Furley

THREE's COMPANY was never the same after The Ropers left. They had a better dynamic with the roomies...Mrs. Roper knowing the truth and no doubt suspecting all sorts of goings on while Stanley fell for the Jack is Gay bit.

With Furley he was completly snowed by the ruse and just not a very bright character in general compared to the more realistic Mr. and Mrs. Roper. If this character had not been played by Don Knotts I can imagine him going the way of Lana.

Norman Fell by the way was a very SMART man...he reluctantly agreed to the spin off but only after a clause that he and Audra could return after a year in case the spin off tanked like most spin offs do. Unfortunatly ABC waited an extra half season before canceling the Ropers denying them a chance to return and unfortunatly for fans of the first three seasons having them back as regulars...though that one guest appearance was a nice treat.

"Looks like the good folks of Island Town are roundin' up a possy and I bet Jack leads the charge in a big white hat."
Mutara Nebula 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Re: Better landlords: The Ropers vs Mr. Furley

The Ropers and Furley brought entirely different things to the show, and I liked both equally.

I don't mind the departure of the Ropers for their spinoff (which I STILL haven't seen in its entirety), as there was only so much bickering amongst themselves to be played before it all became more of the same.

Now if you want to talk about one change that I did absolutely hate, it was making Chrissy a complete idiot in the third and fourth seasons of the show. She wasn't the brightest bulb in the early seasons, but her character still lived in the realm of believeable. Later on, she became functionally retarded, probably a result of the writers not liking Suzanne Somers' diva attitude.
Old October 30 2008, 08:55 PM   #3
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Furley was funny. The Ropers were annoying.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2008, 09:38 PM   #4
Good Will Riker
Admiral

As a landlord, I found Mr. Furley to be the better landlord because he wasn't snooping into Jack's business like the way Mr. Roper was all of the time. Who wants a landlord who is prying into your personal affairs all of the time?

However, as a person, I found Mr. Roper to be more interesting to be around, because Mr. Furley was a lovable, but somewhat quirky individual with delusions of grandeur, such as thinking that he is a "know-it-all" ladies man, a master chef, and such.

Overall, I liked them both.
Good Will Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2008, 10:31 PM   #5
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Furley was a cartoon. The Ropers were far better fleshed out.
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 12:17 AM   #6
Praetor
Vice Admiral

You've gotta love Don Knotts, and he did a good job with what they gave him, but I by far prefer the Ropers. Their dynamic was great, and I think that there was a nice contrast between the way they lived their lives and the way the kids lived theirs. The show definitely dumbed down as it went, and I would consider the Ropers' departure as the show's shark jump.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 04:04 AM   #7
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Good Will Riker wrote: View Post
As a landlord, I found Mr. Furley to be the better landlord because he wasn't snooping into Jack's business like the way Mr. Roper was all of the time. Who wants a landlord who is prying into your personal affairs all of the time?
You should ask Sonya about that one chief.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 09:19 AM   #8
Good Will Riker
Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
You've gotta love Don Knotts, and he did a good job with what they gave him, but I by far prefer the Ropers.
Mr. Roper was the only character on that show to "break the fourth wall," who looked directly at the camera and smiled at the audience everytime he made a wisecrack. It was a unique touch that added that extra special "something" to the show (Analogous to Leonard Nimoy's unique contributions to the Spock character.), which sadly was gone when the Ropers were written off of the show.

Praetor wrote: View Post
the show's shark jump.
Cindy Snow

BOO!-tarada wrote: View Post
You should ask Sonya about that one chief.
The girl is 10 years younger than me, and it is best for me to find someone who is closer to my own age.
Good Will Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2008, 01:54 AM   #9
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Oh God, don't even mention Cindy Snow. I think the show was long gone by then. And you're right, Norman Fell was brilliant.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote