Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 8 2009, 11:54 PM   #61
Jax
Admiral

Re: Nolan 'Unsure' about Batman Sequel

The 3rd movie will never beat TDK but it still could be a solid movie inbetween 1 & 2 with a good send off. There will be a 3rd and if Nolan is not there to direct am sure we can hold onto the writing team or enough of it to make a good 3rd movie.

personally I want to see a new batcave and car though I don't mind if we have to wait quite long into the movie to do so. Also no Robin but I would love to see The Riddler who could take his twisted nature from Joker.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 12:05 AM   #62
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Jax wrote: View Post
The 3rd movie will never beat TDK but it still could be a solid movie inbetween 1 & 2 with a good send off. There will be a 3rd and if Nolan is not there to direct am sure we can hold onto the writing team or enough of it to make a good 3rd movie.

personally I want to see a new batcave and car though I don't mind if we have to wait quite long into the movie to do so. Also no Robin but I would love to see The Riddler who could take his twisted nature from Joker.
I think DAVID FINCHER could make a pretty good Batman movie...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 12:50 AM   #63
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Robin, if included should be an amalgam character, with elements of both Dick Grayson and Jason Todd. Start him out as an orphan on the streets, rather than as Bruce Wayne's ward. He's inspired by Batman to take revenge against the evil around him, and does so brutally in the guise of the Red Hood. As Red Hood doesn't have any qualms about killing, an unfortunate consequence of Batman's decision to take the fall for Dent's killings. Batman goes after Red Hood, and finds about that he's only a kid, around 11-13. Instead of turning th ekid over to the police, he takes the kid into his home, and tries to teach him how to fight crime the right way.

As for villains, Riddler should be used as a string-pulling mastermind, the sort of individual that everyone works for, but no one has met. A reptation witout a face. He should be the sort of character who controls the entire playing field, but never sets foot on it. An enigma.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 01:26 AM   #64
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I'm not interested in Robin but I think they could do some very interesting things with a teenage Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. Commissioner Gordon finds that he's losing touch with his daughter but he doesn't know why. She finds herself attracted to crime fighting for a number of conflicting, confusing reasons, not all of them right. Batman, at first, welcomes the help & the company. But as things go on, he realizes that he may simply be contributing to the delinquency of a minor and dragging an innocent down into his madness. Plus, while Batman may have paternal feelings toward Batgirl, things would get really hairy once he realizes that this hormonal teenager may be searching for something more.

It's a twisted, dark way to tell a Batman story that doesn't deevolve into Frank Miller's murderous thug or Tim Burton's broad, gothic interpretation.

(Although, I admit this idea may be too twisted for Hollywood. It would make Batman Returns seem pretty mainstream by comparison.)
Old April 9 2009, 01:36 AM   #65
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Actually, it's already been done. It's canon in the DCAU that Batman and Batgirl had a sexual affair. It ended badly.

It that won't work in Nolan's reboot series because Barbara hasn't even been born yet.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 02:10 AM   #66
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

^No, I'm pretty sure she's been born. She's just an infant right now. But it's an easy fix. Just jump about 14-16 years into the future. The way I figure it, it would only work if Alfred is dead anyhow.
Old April 9 2009, 03:30 AM   #67
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

That is a possibility. Or they could say that Two-Face did somehow survive.
if the 3rd one gets a new director & its not a comeplete reboot I could see WB wanting either Dent or Joker back for the 3rd. I dont know about a recast Joker(it would just feel wrong to me) but I wouldnt mind seeing Two-Face again(even if it would kinda ruin the end of TDK)
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 04:47 AM   #68
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Two Face is dead, Aaron eckhart has said so in past interviews

I think David fincher, alfonso cuaron and possibly a peaul greengrass or darren arsnofsky would be suitable if not Nolan
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 05:07 AM   #69
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

gaith1 wrote: View Post
I certainly can't think of many particularly good chapter three movies, not even BttF and Jedi; though there were wonderful parts to both of those. (Azkaban doesn't really count, since it's part three of seven.)
I'm not quite sure how that doesn't count. I could maybe see an argument that since that was Cuaron's first movie in the franchise it doesn't count.

If Nolan isn't up to the task I'm sure there's a McG, Michael Bay, or Paul Anderson ready to step in. Maybe Steven Sommers . What's Schumacher up to these days?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 05:32 AM   #70
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
^No, I'm pretty sure she's been born. She's just an infant right now. But it's an easy fix. Just jump about 14-16 years into the future. The way I figure it, it would only work if Alfred is dead anyhow.
Well when we saw the Gordan family at the end of The Dark Knight they did have a little girl as well as a little boy, I assumed she was Barbra.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 10:49 AM   #71
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
. Warners on the other hand would just get Paul Anderson or some other step down in talent director and make the movie.

There will be another Batman, count on it.
Oh i can just see Paul Anderson's Batman right now.

Alfred will disappear from the series with no explanation to be replaced by Milla Jovovich, doesnt really matter on the character name she's been playing the same person for years.
Bruce will automatically fall in love with this wonderful woman and do whatever she says, while she develops psychic powers and single-handedly saves Gotham.Bruce looks on in awe wishing he could be that great.

Oh and dont forget the super-kewl laser scene that will be shoved in despite it not fitting the setting.
Old April 9 2009, 02:52 PM   #72
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Get Nolan off this project and get someone who understands the characters. Nolans interpretation of the Joker was dull. Only Ledger made it at all interesting. Far to many opportunities for the Jokers style were passed up in TDK. So if Nolan wants out, theres the door pal I will not be sorry to see you leave.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 06:00 PM   #73
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I'm not necessarily disagreeing but can you elaborate what you didn't like?
Old April 9 2009, 06:52 PM   #74
Crystalline Entity
Lieutenant

Well, if Nolan doesn't have any ideas, here's a few from me!

The third movie should continue Bruce Wayne's struggle with what the Batman persona means for him. I would bring it to a resolution by giving serious consideration to ending the third (or 4th) movie with Bruce stepping away from being Batman. Either due to injury, the personal costs being too high... or because he has a successor. If Year One was the inspiration for Begins, why not have Bruce Wayne's involvement with Batman come to an end like in The Dark Knight Returns?

As for villains, I would make them the corrupt city and police. One of my criticisms of Nolan's Batman movies is that Gotham is too clean, not corrupt-looking enough. Sure people say the city is corrupt, has no hope, but it doesn't look it. For the next movie, turn Gotham into a true urban hellhole. In the third movie, corrupt city officials, like the mayor, or other business elites, want to take over the city and run it the way they think it should be run; i.e., the Golden Rule: those who have the Gold, make the Rules! Part of this plan is to continue making Batman the scapegoat, justifying creating a police state in Gotham.

Having the City be the enemy doesn't mean no cool costumed villains. I would use The Riddler and Bane: Eddie Nygma is an eccentric, crazed genius, who the fatcats bring in to help run the investigation against Batman. Bane is a no-nonsense enforcer, who beats up, tortures or kills anyone (crooks, cops, civilians) they need info from, or gets in the way.

As Bruce struggles against the forces of officialdom, he has to deal with the personal fallout from the end of DKR. Maybe bring in Catwoman or Talia for a love interest. Have Bruce become a detective and spy as he uses his billionaire status to infiltrate the cabal. Meanwhile, Riddler and Bane are closing in on him. If they want to do a fourth movie, you could have Bane break Bruce's back a la Knightfall, and set up the fourth movie being about training Bruce's replacement: not Robin, or Nightwing, but another 'Batman', a la Batman Beyond.

To complicate things, you could have Riddler actually working for two sides: the remnants of the mob as well as the other billionaires. Or he could even be reporting to a mysterious figure who is only revealed at the end as Ra's al Gul!

The point is, if I could come up with some non-sucky ideas, surely Nolan can. Bring us Batman 3!
Crystalline Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 07:53 PM   #75
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Tuln, the Joker as presented by Nolan was way to one dimensional and missed out on a truely insane, warped world view Joker that could have been. I only felt he really captured the Joker once in the whole movie and thats when he pushed the button and the hospital didnt fully explode.
Two parts added in would have made things better for the character.
Scene One when the commisioner was killed drinking the poisoned liquor he should have died laughing and and with the Joker smile on his face.
Scene Two when the cops lifted the shirt of the guy with the bomb sewn into him, it should have been put in like a clown face with the blinking light as the clowns nose.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote