RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 146,450
Posts: 5,771,498
Members: 25,958
Currently online: 704
Newest member: hupioouspp

TrekToday headlines

Working Star Trek Communicator
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Deep Space Nine Coins Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Two New Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Elba: Trek’s New Villain
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Deep Space Nine Frisbee
By: T'Bonz on Jul 6

Star Trek Attack Wing Wave 16
By: T'Bonz on Jul 6

Best of Both Worlds: The Daring Cliffhanger
By: T'Bonz on Jul 6

Trekonomics Book
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Shore Leave 37 Convention
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Two New ThinkGeek Trek-themed Items
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 28 2008, 09:14 PM   #76
Disco Bones
Lieutenant Commander
 
Disco Bones's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, 1979
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

Kirk's insignia looks metallic-speckled to me... like the material of Finnegan's academy tunic seen here.
Is it a re-imagined version of the academy tunic?
__________________
"Well, what do you know! I finally got the last word." -- McCoy, Journey to Babel
Disco Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:14 PM   #77
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

Would it really have killed them to put Kirk in a gold uniform for the promotional pics?
It's not like they're giving away some big "secret" that he eventually becomes the Captain, after all.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:17 PM   #78
ancient
Vice Admiral
 
ancient's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

ST-One wrote: View Post
ancient wrote: View Post
Ok, I see two frames, one in front of the other. If the thing in the back is supposed to be a window frame, why is the starfield extending all the way in front of the frame to the forward frame (look at the far right & along the top)? That doesn't make sense unless you believe they are showing a picture of a starfield imposed on top of another starfield.

It just don't add up.
Look closer.
This is just the reflection of the set on the glass.
Maybe I wasn't clear, this is what I mean:

Why is there starfield on top of the 'window frame'?
__________________
----------------------------
Time Travel was and will be confusing
ancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:18 PM   #79
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral
 
SonicRanger's Avatar
 
Location: Sheffield, England
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

There was a window (or at least a large black rectangle) on the Enterprise studio model for "The Cage":

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...thecage011.jpg

Therefore, the window must be there, or certain posters will be unhappy
__________________
"STAR TREK is... Action - Adventure - Science Fiction."
-- Gene Roddenberry, 1964, top of the first page of his original pitch and outline for Star Trek
SonicRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:19 PM   #80
Balthier the Great
Fleet Captain
 
Balthier the Great's Avatar
 
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

ancient wrote: View Post

Ok, I see two frames, one in front of the other. If the thing in the back is supposed to be a window frame, why is the starfield extending all the way in front of the frame to the forward frame (look at the far right & along the top)? That doesn't make sense unless you believe they are showing a picture of a starfield imposed on top of another starfield.

It just don't add up.

If you mean the streaks, I think that's a reflection. Glass can reflect stuff behind it if the light is real bright on the inside.
__________________
Styles tend to not only separate men — because they have their own doctrines and then the doctrine became the gospel truth that you cannot change.
Balthier the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:20 PM   #81
Jon1701
Rear Admiral
 
Jon1701's Avatar
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

Fucking awesome.
__________________
www.moviebreadbin.com
Movie reviews sponsored by that toupee that Patrick Stewart had sent over from London that time.
Jon1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:20 PM   #82
Darth_Pinche
Captain
 
Darth_Pinche's Avatar
 
Location: grabbing my gun and bringing in the cat
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

Disco Bones wrote: View Post
Kirk's insignia looks metallic-speckled to me... like the material of Finnegan's academy tunic seen here.
Is it a re-imagined version of the academy tunic?
Jimmy! You plebe!!!!

This stuff looks better and better. The slow release of photos will allow us to ease into the new Trek aesthetic slowly. Genius.
__________________
"One man can make a difference"--Wilton Knight
Darth_Pinche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:23 PM   #83
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

ancient wrote: View Post
ST-One wrote: View Post
ancient wrote: View Post
Ok, I see two frames, one in front of the other. If the thing in the back is supposed to be a window frame, why is the starfield extending all the way in front of the frame to the forward frame (look at the far right & along the top)? That doesn't make sense unless you believe they are showing a picture of a starfield imposed on top of another starfield.

It just don't add up.
Look closer.
This is just the reflection of the set on the glass.
Maybe I wasn't clear, this is what I mean:

Why is there starfield on top of the 'window frame'?
That is the reflection I was talking about
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:25 PM   #84
ancient
Vice Admiral
 
ancient's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

Reflection off of what, exactly?
__________________
----------------------------
Time Travel was and will be confusing
ancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:27 PM   #85
Disco Bones
Lieutenant Commander
 
Disco Bones's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, 1979
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

ancient wrote: View Post
Reflection off of what, exactly?
It's the cove and light band directly in front of the screen / window on the inside.
__________________
"Well, what do you know! I finally got the last word." -- McCoy, Journey to Babel
Disco Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:27 PM   #86
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

ancient wrote: View Post
Reflection off of what, exactly?
Of the frame around the window/screen. It's right there.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:28 PM   #87
ancient
Vice Admiral
 
ancient's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

AAGGH! I'm talking about the starfield not the f***ing light strip.

EDIT: Ok, the frame, I see. Damn thee, english.

If that's a reflection, then there is no window. It's just a viewer.
__________________
----------------------------
Time Travel was and will be confusing
ancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:29 PM   #88
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

ancient wrote: View Post
AAGGH! I'm talking about the starfield not the f***ing light strip.
Yes, you are seeing the starfield through the reflected inside of the window-frame. It's not that difficult to see...
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:29 PM   #89
THE CHEBB
Captain
 
THE CHEBB's Avatar
 
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

Groovy!
__________________
Living large on the interwebs....
www.pbase.com/thechebb
THE CHEBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 09:31 PM   #90
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: House by the Lake, NC
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Empire Magazine pics!

ancient wrote: View Post
ST-One wrote: View Post
ancient wrote: View Post
Ok, I see two frames, one in front of the other. If the thing in the back is supposed to be a window frame, why is the starfield extending all the way in front of the frame to the forward frame (look at the far right & along the top)? That doesn't make sense unless you believe they are showing a picture of a starfield imposed on top of another starfield.

It just don't add up.
Look closer.
This is just the reflection of the set on the glass.
Maybe I wasn't clear, this is what I mean:

Why is there starfield on top of the 'window frame'?

ancient wrote: View Post
Reflection off of what, exactly?
Go look at the sides of the glass on a mirror. This will show the same effect. Even the frame will reflect onto the mirror. Hope this helps, my friend.
davejames wrote: View Post
Would it really have killed them to put Kirk in a gold uniform for the promotional pics?
It's not like they're giving away some big "secret" that he eventually becomes the Captain, after all.
The MTV site which first posted a pic of Pine without the gold shirt said "it is part of the plot". We don't know what that plot is yet, but I also think it makes Pine stand out as different from Kirk while being Kirk.
A good example of Shat wearing the black, long-sleeve undershirt is on Arena. Evidently it was chilly where they filmed it in the desert.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bridge

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.