Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 2 2008, 09:11 PM   #376
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Empire Magazine pics!

Great post further up, Cary L. Brown, and I must say I agree wholeheartedly with your remarks. In particular:

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
I suspect that it's going to be a good movie. Not a GREAT movie, but a good one... one that the majority of people who shell out their $10 for a ticket will not feel cheated to have seen. But also, most likely, not one that the average moviegoer will feel all that enthused about after they walk out of the theater. Some movies "change everything" for the audience, but that's rare. This is almost certainly not going to be one of those movies.

On the other hand, I really expect to come out of the theater thinking "that wasn't Star Trek." I'm hopeful, still, that this may turn out to not be the case, but I think it's more likely to be this way. I suspect we're going to be shown stuff that's "A new take on Star Trek" rather than something that is "Star Trek" (aka, something which doesn't tell us to forget what we've spent the past 40+ years getting familiar with).
That's more or less where I'm at now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go see and enjoy this movie either way, but I feel that it may not feel like the Star Trek we've come to know over the years... particularly now that I've read the comments Jon Povill made kindly posted by The God Thing.

[quote}
The way I've always described it is like this... imagine that there's a "real Star Trek reality" that the original series was trying to replicate and reflect. In some ways, they deviated from that "reality" but they were still trying to reflect something "real." The new movie, ideally, would take the approach that the original series was a cost-limited attempt to do exactly that, and that with the more advanced (but still not 23rd-century) tech we have now, and the larger budget, they can get closer to that mythical "reality" than they could do in the 1960s. But both are trying to approximate the same thing, and thus should have the same GENERAL appearance, the same general feel, and shouldn't cause the audience to say "waitaminute, that's not what it used to look like."

Instead, they audience should find themselves not really noticing the difference at all, until they go back and watch the old stuff and say "well, now I've seen what it REALLY looked like, and I can see the flaws in the old stuff now."
I think that's the mindset all purists should go in having, myself included. If it's a bad movie, it's a bad movie.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2008, 09:20 PM   #377
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

^ Praetor, I think you'll want to check your quote tags on that post.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 02:02 AM   #378
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

trekkerguy wrote: View Post
Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
To ST-One and Trekkerguy: Sorry, gentlemen, but that simply is not true. Some people (you guys) look at this stuff and say "looks good." Others--myself, say--look at it and say "looks bad." Neither of us are neutral. Saying that you are does not make you so. It just makes you a liar.
Again wrong. Saying something looks good does not mean the I have decided
the movie itself is going to be good. But the material so far looks good to me.
If you havn't decided it won't be good but simply don't find the released material
apealing, that's cool, but most the naysayers have not kept from doing that.

Thanks for trying to "call me out" but no thanks.
I have and I was the one you were you were speaking to.

Again: I have not decided that this movie will be bad. I have decided that the indictors--primarily the resumes and the attitudes of the people behind the camera--look bad to me. And that's all I've ever said. You can decline my "calling you out, " whatever that means. You are still posting untruths and misrepresentations.

Last edited by Brutal Strudel; November 3 2008 at 03:59 AM.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 09:23 AM   #379
CommanderTrip
Captain

Hmm.. I would say it's not that big of a deal.
Old November 3 2008, 09:32 AM   #380
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

From Mr. Povill:

I admit that I avoid participating in BBS of any kind as I really don't have the time to become embroiled in the volume of discussions I would inevitably wind up commenting upon, but I appreciate the members thanks. If you like, I would appreciate it if you let the members know that I have just finished directing a new version of Jaron Summers and my version of "The Child" that was (in my opinion) badly adapted for Next Gen. It is now heading into post production and should be available for viewing some time next year on startrekphase2.com I'm very excited about finally getting "The Child" out in a form that is in keeping with its original themes and intent and I hope Trek fans will watch and enjoy it.

Thanks very much,
JP
TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 05:39 PM   #381
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

The God Thing wrote: View Post
From Mr. Povill:

I admit that I avoid participating in BBS of any kind as I really don't have the time to become embroiled in the volume of discussions I would inevitably wind up commenting upon, but I appreciate the members thanks. If you like, I would appreciate it if you let the members know that I have just finished directing a new version of Jaron Summers and my version of "The Child" that was (in my opinion) badly adapted for Next Gen. It is now heading into post production and should be available for viewing some time next year on startrekphase2.com I'm very excited about finally getting "The Child" out in a form that is in keeping with its original themes and intent and I hope Trek fans will watch and enjoy it.

Thanks very much,
JP
TGT
Thanks, TGT. I've been a follower of that particular fan production and I'm glad to see it heading more and more into the aborted PII scripts.
IIRC, Povill is also a consultant on the fan series.

The next one up, FYI, is John Merideth Lucas' "Kitumba." (see:http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/fo...p?topic=6250.0)

Thesis' uniform varients for the PII series have also been incorporated into the fan production as well as Jefferies' ship modifications.
Old November 4 2008, 06:10 PM   #382
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Cryogenic wrote: View Post
Does anyone else get a bad feeling about any of this?
Nope, it all looks great.
Technically, the correct answer to his question is: Yes.
Old November 6 2008, 01:51 AM   #383
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

MadMan1701A wrote: View Post
You know, I think we can see part of the saucer right outside. I see an NCC. So, it's a window.

I like to know why they decided to go that route. It might be very, very cool if they can throw all kind of other images up there, like I see the HUD is, so then you get a window and a Viewscreen.

-=MadMan=-
I think this too, that is both a window and an active screen with HUD so they can put images onto it that are semi-transparent. This is a natural progression of today's technology, I see this being a reality in our future, and it makes sense.

I like it.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote