Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 29 2008, 01:38 AM   #151
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: Empire Magazine pics!

JoeRalat wrote: View Post

As for the window, why are the star streaks going to right to left. If the windows is in the front of the ship, then we would see them coming towards the screen. I think the window is for a tos style readyroom. Someone posted a photo of the bridge and if you look at the left of the bridge model, you see something sticking out...It maybe the new readyroom.
They're actually overhead lights or a light by a console thats bent because behind Spock is the curved part of the ship
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 01:39 AM   #152
TK421
Commodore

Oh, I absolutely LOVE this. This is the first shot of the bridge I actually like!

And sure, it's a window. But who says it's a real window? My Mac has the desktop picture of the view out my window making it look like I'm looking outside, so I'm sure they can do the same in Star trek.
Old October 29 2008, 01:54 AM   #153
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

JuanBOOlio wrote: View Post
James Hussein Bond wrote: View Post
I'd have to disagree. I think this is exactly the kind of attitude needed to make Star Trek viable again.
So long as he doesn't unintentionally make a spoof, yes.
Actually, if you read all of his remarks in context it's clear that his concern with stuff like "Galaxy Quest" is to avoid making a spoof or parody or something self-consciously ironic.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 02:07 AM   #154
JuanBolio
Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Actually, if you read all of his remarks in context it's clear that his concern with stuff like "Galaxy Quest" is to avoid making a spoof or parody or something self-consciously ironic.
Yes, his intent seems good. I'm optimistic about this - the stills look good, the reactions so far have been great, its written by Trek fans, etc...

I guess his view of Trek just sets me ill at ease, is all.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 02:09 AM   #155
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

T J wrote: View Post
So I guess this is fake too?

http://i36.tinypic.com/2mg591f.jpg

T J, at widths of 1282 and 1600, the images you posted above were causing some pretty drastic screen-stretching, so I've converted them to links. If you were to resize them to no more than 800 pixels in width* or to post thumbnails linking to the larger images, then you're welcome to repost them.

Thanks!

* board policy stipulates a maximum of 640 x 480, but since this is a thread about the pictures, I think we can stretch it a little.
Old October 29 2008, 02:13 AM   #156
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Ah, you can see the window on the bridge dome in that photo -- it is in the shadow but is there.
Old October 29 2008, 02:18 AM   #157
JuanBolio
Admiral

SonicRanger wrote: View Post

Ah, you can see the window on the bridge dome in that photo -- it is in the shadow but is there.
If so, then there's more than one.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
Old October 29 2008, 02:20 AM   #158
Sheridan
Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to Sheridan

The image of the really wide viewscreen/window or whatever it is really reminds me of the concept art for the TOS Enterprise bridge. If you have The Art of Star Trek you'll see a concept sketch on the first 2 pages of chapter one of the bridge. Notice that it has a really wide viewscreen just like in the newly released picture.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 02:37 AM   #159
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

steveman wrote: View Post
There really hasn't been an instance where I've read something that J.J. Abrams said and thought "Wow. That was really insightful."
Neither has any of the other directors who has directed Star Trek.

But, point is: Ron Moore, he's not.
Of course not. Abrams has had three successful shows on TV and Ron Moore has had none. Abrams is now going to headline two major motion pictures, Ron Moore has never done so. Abrams is a household name, Ron Moore isn't.

As for the topic: the viewscreen, the poses, the shots are absolutely wonderful! This will be one of the first truly creative Trek movies in a long, long time, feeling like a thorough movie and not an extended TV episode.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 02:49 AM   #160
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

If I may point out...

If you look here the front of the bridge on the outside appears to be solid hull.

http://i34.tinypic.com/1hdky.jpg

Perhaps the exterior hull slides away to show the window and the HUD comes up. When the window is covered by the exterior hull there is just a view screen there. Maybe?!
What? Where'd you get that pic from?
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 03:18 AM   #161
JuanBolio
Admiral

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
If I may point out...

If you look here the front of the bridge on the outside appears to be solid hull.

http://i34.tinypic.com/1hdky.jpg

Perhaps the exterior hull slides away to show the window and the HUD comes up. When the window is covered by the exterior hull there is just a view screen there. Maybe?!
What? Where'd you get that pic from?
Its from a fan trailer. See this thread:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=59317

Old October 29 2008, 03:27 AM   #162
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

SonicRanger wrote: View Post

I don't think so ... I copied that picture and amped-up the brightness and contrast and all I see are "bridge clamps" on the front and sides of the dome and aren't the right aspect ratio to match the main viewer behind Spock. I also notice that this Enterprise has a smooth hull, whereas the tiny piece visible behind Spock has several raised plates not unlike the Kelvin. Finally, the deflector grid doesn't cut through the middle of the dash in "NCC-1701" ... it's off center.

These are minor differences, but they suggest the Enterprise seen in the first trailer doesn't match the actual movie ship.
Old October 29 2008, 03:51 AM   #163
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

RIP-1701 wrote: View Post
That wonderful rendering of the new old Enterprise was done by Daniel Broadway aka PixelMagic. Looky here.
Wow! How did I miss that thread? The first thing I thought of when I saw that picture in this thread was PixelMagic's work on the shuttle from the spy pics and the TrekMovie.com contest for fake footage.

It's an excellent and accurate extrapolations as always.
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 04:04 AM   #164
steveman
Fleet Captain

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
There really hasn't been an instance where I've read something that J.J. Abrams said and thought "Wow. That was really insightful."
Neither has any of the other directors who has directed Star Trek.

Of course not. Abrams has had three successful shows on TV and Ron Moore has had none. Abrams is now going to headline two major motion pictures, Ron Moore has never done so. Abrams is a household name, Ron Moore isn't.
Judging by what you've posted and the tone of it, I'm afraid that you've mischaracterized me as an Abrams "hater."

I was simply pointing out that I didn't think he was particularly well-spoken. Not a knock on him as a director. Just an observation.

You neglected to post that I qualified those statements with:

The guy may be one of the most creative, talented people in Hollywood, but he doesn't really strike me as being particularly well-spoken. Just an observation. Of course, this won't matter one lick if Trek turns out to be as good as it has looked so far.

Truthfully, Abrams is probably more of a visual communicator than a verbal one.
I downplay my original claim, and even present a reason for why he may not be particularly well-spoken; he's a visual person.

Abrams "hater," I'm not. Never was.

That was clear in my original post until it was manipulated into something it wasn't.
steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 06:47 AM   #165
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

[quote=StarTrek1701;2230909]
Of course not. Abrams has had three successful shows on TV and Ron Moore has had none.
Depends how you define "successful", I suppose.

Anyway, the new pics look great. I'm loving the one with Spock in front of the viewscreen\window\thing.