Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 29 2008, 08:53 PM   #1
The Wormhole
Admiral

The Pattern Of 9 Says Trek XI Will Fail

Star Trek XI will be released in 2009. Let's take a look at other Trek movies released in years that ended in 9. Star Trek The Motion Picture, released in 1979. Though a financial success, it was a critical failure and remains to this day one of the more unpopular Trek movies with very few supporters. Then there's Star Trek V The Final Frontier, released in 1989. A financial and critical failure with even less supporters than TMP. This is the Pattern of 9, any Trek movie released in a year ending with 9 is doomed to fail. Hell, years ending with 9 aren't good for any movie with the word Star in its title. 1999 didn't have a Trek movie. It did however, have a Star Wars movie, Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace, which is quite possibly one of least popular Star Wars movies. And what do you know, Star Trek XI will be released in 2009. A year ending with 9. Therefore the Pattern of 9 is establised that Star Trek XI will fail. It has to fail. There's no other way of looking at it.

Also, let's take a moment to abbreviate these years to their last two digits. TMP in 79, TFF in 89, SWTPM in 99, and Trek XI in 09. How fitting that this movie be released in a year that abbreviated begins with a zero, given the love affair with the number zero that Abrams and his cohorts seem to have. I'm looking at the direction of the USS Kelvin's registry.
Old October 29 2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Pattern Of 9 Says Trek XI Will Fail

Logical validity of this analysis: 0.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Inane rambling factor: 10

I tend to feel sorry for those nameless persons whose frail grip on reality is loosening based upon one solitary movie.

GO STAR TREK 2009!!
Long live Star Trek!!
Old October 29 2008, 09:06 PM   #4
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Mr. Spook 7 wrote: View Post
Inane rambling factor: 10

I tend to feel sorry for those nameless persons whose frail grip on reality is loosening based upon one solitary movie.
Oh, come on. I kinda liked it.

And let's not get into frail grips on reality, shall we? Not even those of nameless persons -- it's just unnecessary.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 09:07 PM   #5
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Star Trek XI will be released in 2009. Let's take a look at other Trek movies released in years that ended in 9. Star Trek The Motion Picture, released in 1979. Though a financial success, it was a critical failure and remains to this day one of the more unpopular Trek movies with very few supporters. Then there's Star Trek V The Final Frontier, released in 1989. A financial and critical failure with even less supporters than TMP. This is the Pattern of 9, any Trek movie released in a year ending with 9 is doomed to fail. Hell, years ending with 9 aren't good for any movie with the word Star in its title. 1999 didn't have a Trek movie. It did however, have a Star Wars movie, Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace, which is quite possibly one of least popular Star Wars movies. And what do you know, Star Trek XI will be released in 2009. A year ending with 9. Therefore the Pattern of 9 is establised that Star Trek XI will fail. It has to fail. There's no other way of looking at it.

Also, let's take a moment to abbreviate these years to their last two digits. TMP in 79, TFF in 89, SWTPM in 99, and Trek XI in 09. How fitting that this movie be released in a year that abbreviated begins with a zero, given the love affair with the number zero that Abrams and his cohorts seem to have. I'm looking at the direction of the USS Kelvin's registry.
Yeah I came to this conclusion too after reading some pig entrails.

RAMA
Old October 29 2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Well that was a real waste of time.
Old October 29 2008, 09:21 PM   #7
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

You forgot the bit about TOS being cancelled in 1969 and the snoozefest that was Space: 1999...
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 09:23 PM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral

Bring Back Enterprise wrote: View Post
You forgot the bit about TOS being cancelled in 1969 and the snoozefest that was Space: 1999...
Holy shit! You're right! More proof backing up the Pattern of 9!
Old October 29 2008, 09:35 PM   #9
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Epic Fail !

More zeros for the gentleman please...I hear he likes them

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 09:36 PM   #10
Garth Rockett
Commodore

Since past performance is apparently a solid indicator of future performance, I've decided to crunch some numbers.

Star Trek (2009) will be the fourth Trek film released during the summer. I took the combined domestic gross of the previous three releases (TWOK, TSFS, and TFF) and divided them by their combined production budget. I calculated the average rate of return on a summer Trek movie to be 3.72. With an estimated production budget of $150 million, the summer ROR pattern indicates the new movie will gross over $550 million in the US.
Garth Rockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 10:04 PM   #11
Borgminister

And what about 7 of 9?
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 10:05 PM   #12
Kryton
Admiral

More like the pattern of NEIN!

But thanks for playing. We'll send you a copy of the board game and a year's supply of Sombrero-Roni.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 10:24 PM   #13
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Borgminister wrote: View Post
And what about 7 of 9?
Or DS9: Harshly criticized by Trekkies when it came out, then later embraced by those same fans as the Best. Trek. Evah.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 10:29 PM   #14
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

You know, now that I think about it....Could this be The Pattern that Abrams talks about in Fringe ?

Could there be a connection between Fringe and Trek XI ?

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 10:45 PM   #15
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
1999 didn't have a Trek movie. It did however, have a Star Wars movie, Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace, which is quite possibly one of least popular Star Wars movies.
If I liked it, does that mean I will like the new Trek movie? (Hey, all kidding aside, I thought I read that Phantom Menace put up really good box office. Did it really not fare as well as the others??)
JNG is offline   Reply With Quote