Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old October 28 2008, 02:32 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Shatner-Takei Grudge Match Take Whatever

William Shatner's latest YouTube video is up and he couldn't resist a small shot at George Takei.

As reported by The Shatner Project, Shatner's new YouTube video, answering several fan email questions has appeared and a sly dig at Takei was part of the short video.

When asked if he preferred to be addressed as "Bill" or "Mr. Shatner," Shatner said, "I don't care. I wish George would call me Mr. Shatner." Shatner went on to explain that even though he didn't care, he preferred to be more formal. "There's a familiarity about 'Bill' that I think is presumption and I wouldn't call somebody walking and say 'Hey Teddy' or 'Hey Ted.' The vernacular, the custom is to say 'mister,' [if] somebody's older, some respect there. The 'mister" denotes a respect, but I don't care about that. You earn your respect, not by name."

Not everyone is enamored of the latest feud between the two. A faux "Leonard Nimoy" has expressed his feelings about the spat in a satirical blog as reported by Newsgroper. According to the blog, "So you guys are mad at each other again. Big news. My inbox is full of septuagenarian whining."

Faux-Nimoy-blogger explained that when he didn't get along with someone, he did something utterly logical. He ignored him! "You know what I don't do thirty years later," asked blogger-Nimoy? "Talk to him!" Faux-Nimoy then gave the benefit of his faux-Vulcan advice. "You guys obviously rub each other the wrong way. Here's my advice. Don't go to couples therapy. Don't go to each other's roasts. Don't snipe at each other in the media. Here's what you do: Leave each other alone!

To read the mock blog, head to the link located here. To see Shatner's vblog, head to the link located here.

Old October 28 2008, 02:43 AM   #2
ancient
Vice Admiral

Re: Shatner-Takei Grudge Match Take Whatever

"...I wish George would call me Mr. Shatner."
He is obviously referring to President George W Bush. Shat does not get enough respect from the leader of the free world, dammit.
Old October 28 2008, 02:49 AM   #3
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Privacy is my middle name. My last name is control. No, my first name ain't "baby." It's William; Mr. Shatner if you're nasty!
Old October 28 2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Tim
Vice Admiral

Petty quarreling, YouTube videos, blog posts...this is Trek news how?
Old October 28 2008, 01:57 PM   #5
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Bonz has to do something to pass the time while waiting for the next batch of Trek XI pics.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
Old October 28 2008, 03:45 PM   #6
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Bill, grow the fuck up.

Mr. Takei, you rock.
Old October 28 2008, 04:11 PM   #7
TerriO
Writer-type human

Well, my respect level for Shatner just dropped to a new all-time low.

I respect George for having the courage to never stop being who he is after what this world did to him, especially the internment in WWII.

Respect isn't granted. It's earned. IMO, Shatner hasn't done squat to earn the respect he's apparently insisting he's given with the "Mister" crap. If you work with someone for three years and six movies decades ago, and still to this day wish that they call you "Mister"? Can we say ego?
Old October 28 2008, 05:55 PM   #8
RobertScorpio
Pariah

The only time any of this gets going is because of Takei opening his pie-hole, corn-hole, whatever, and spews his crap...Shatner finally fired back, and good for him...

No one, not even shatner, will argue that he may have rubbed the 'lower stars' the wrong way. Koenig let it go. But it has been George, Nichelle and the late Jimmy Doohan, that turned it into 40 year war...

stars have egos...deal with it..

Rob
Old October 28 2008, 06:38 PM   #9
T'Devilish
T'Bonz - Romulan Curmudgeon

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Bonz has to do something to pass the time while waiting for the next batch of Trek XI pics.
Which came out today. LOL. When I have to go out in a few minutes.

News always waits until I'm out, never happening when I'm home for the day.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old October 28 2008, 07:18 PM   #10
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
The only time any of this gets going is because of Takei opening his pie-hole, corn-hole, whatever, and spews his crap...Shatner finally fired back, and good for him...

No one, not even shatner, will argue that he may have rubbed the 'lower stars' the wrong way. Koenig let it go. But it has been George, Nichelle and the late Jimmy Doohan, that turned it into 40 year war...

Rob
And once again, Rob proves he doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. Not a new concept, though.
Old October 28 2008, 08:30 PM   #11
TerriO
Writer-type human

Rob
And there's no ego like Shatner's ego, that's for sure.
Old October 28 2008, 08:36 PM   #12
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

The Gill-Man wrote: View Post

Rob
And once again, Rob proves he doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. Not a new concept, though.
And seriously? "Cornhole"? Really?

The man's gay. Let it go.
Old October 28 2008, 11:16 PM   #13
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

"There's a familiarity about 'Bill' that I think is presumption and I wouldn't call somebody walking and say 'Hey Teddy' or 'Hey Ted.' The vernacular, the custom is to say 'mister,' [if] somebody's older, some respect there. The 'mister" denotes a respect, but I don't care about that. You earn your respect, not by name."

He's right about that. I don't think this statement is in context to George Takei, which he's joking about because of recent silliness.
Old October 30 2008, 09:12 PM   #14
slappy
Commodore

The Gill-Man wrote: View Post
Bill, grow the fuck up.

Mr. Takei, you rock.
At least do a google search on the subject before you speak on it.

Takei started this, Takei kept it going for 30 years, Takei should grow up.

Shatner makes one comment and everybody's like "grow up". It reminds me of middle school when the bully attacks the kid and the kid fights back, only for both to be suspended like that's justice.

Old October 30 2008, 10:19 PM   #15
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

They should both grow up.