Perth Mint Voyager Coins
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Face Off To Feature Trek Makeup

Pegg Omaze Video Features Outtakes

Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old October 11 2008, 09:46 PM   #1
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny
Myriad Universes - Escape from Reality

Coming soon...

ESCAPE FROM REALITY

Captain Benjamin Sisko sees what should have been after being taken by the Prophets during a crucial battle. He must learn the ways of the Prophets and discover the ability to shape destinies in time to stave off the victory of the Dominion, or everything he cares about, everything that makes him human, will be lost.

Escape from Reality begins during “The Changing Face of Evil” (approx. stardate 52588.9) and continues through to stardate 52941.3.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 01:13 AM   #2
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Re: Myriad Universes - Escape from Reality

Sounds good! I'm a big Sisko fan.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 01:21 AM   #3
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I look forward to it as well!
Old October 14 2008, 03:10 AM   #4
TheLoneRedshirt
Commodore

An interesting premise - it should be good!
Old October 15 2008, 09:10 PM   #5
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Chapter One

Captain Jean-Luc Picard paused on the threshold of his ready room before heading out to the bridge to inform them of the latest update from Command. It certainly didn’t look good for them at the moment and the news continued to get worse. Steeling himself for the shock and disbelief he knew would be forthcoming, Picard moved through the short corridor connecting the ready room and the bridge. All eyes turned toward him. They knew that Admiral Nechayev had called a few days ago to break the news that the Breen had attacked Earth, and that Picard had kept in almost constant contact since then. As the flagship of the fleet, the Enterprise was being held in reserve.

That time was over.

He decided to give the news without preamble. ‘Chin’toka is a total loss. The Breen have a new weapon that obliterated our ships and then the Dominion destroyed every escape pod they could find.’

Counsellor Troi almost fell into Commander Riker’s arms. ‘Thousands of people, gone, in one battle.’

‘Admiral Ross was the lead in that battle, and Captain Sisko is believed to be lost as well, with all hands. The Defiant was completely destroyed.’

‘Worf?’ Doctor Crusher asked.

‘Including Worf,’ Picard replied sombrely and no one said a word for several moments.

‘Captain,’ Riker broke the silence. ‘The Bajorans looked up to Sisko didn’t they, as some kind of emissary.’

‘That’s right, Number One, and the Dominion have taken Deep Space Nine, again. This time I don’t think there’s any way of getting it back. Kai Winn has asked for Starfleet protection but the Federation Council have reluctantly refused.’

‘Captain, the Bajorans only just survived the Cardassians,’ Lieutenant Commander Data added. ‘Even with all the help Captain Sisko has been able to provide, they will be unable to defend themselves against the Dominion.’

‘I agree, and I said as much to Admiral Nechayev.’ Picard paused, choosing his words carefully. ‘We have been tasked with assisting the Bajoran resistance, which sprung up almost instantly.’

‘Let me guess, we’re going to pick up Ensign Ro?’ Riker asked.

Picard nodded. ‘We can’t go directly to Bajor, for obvious reasons, but Ro has been covertly setting up a base outside Dominion-controlled territory.’

‘What about all the ships that the Dominion can now get through the wormhole?’ Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge asked.

‘That is classified, even from me.’

Riker looked at the assembled officers and then back at Picard. ‘Where do we go?’

‘Number One, you and Commander Data will head into the Badlands to pick up Ensign Ro and rendezvous with the Enterprise in the Temecklia system. In the meantime, Starfleet has ordered all starships to pull back from the front lines, to the nearest Federation member world. We’ll do what we can to defend our protectorates but it looks like the Klingons will have to handle things for now unless we can come up with a defence against that weapon.’

‘The Klingon ships are immune to it?’ La Forge asked.

‘Full specifications are being downloaded as we speak, Commander. I’d like you to devote as much time as you can to that project.’

La Forge nodded.

‘Captain, how close is the Temecklia system to the front lines?’ Data asked.

‘Two light years,’ Picard answered.

‘And about the same distance from Tzenkethi space,’ Riker added, looking at the Captain.

‘We’re going to ask the Tzenkethi for assistance?’ Troi looked bemused.

‘We got the Gorn on our side, the Tzenkethi should be easy,’ Riker deadpanned.

‘It is an avenue we’re looking into,’ Picard replied noncommittally.

‘Captain, we’re receiving a general signal from Paris, all Federation frequencies,’ Lieutenant Daniels said.

‘On screen.’

‘On behalf of the United Federation of Planets, I ask all the people of the galaxy to witness the devastation in the Chin’toka system wrought by the Dominion and their new Breen allies,’ President Jaresh-Inyo began. ‘The Federation, the Klingons, the Romulans, the Gorn and many others have put their differences aside to focus on one goal, the Dominion, to drive them from our worlds and to bring peace back into the galaxy. You’re asking yourself why you should get involved, and I have one answer for you. You may be next. If the Federation is defeated, if the Klingon and Romulan empires fall, who will the Dominion conquer next? I ask you all as fellow citizens of the galaxy to join us against a common enemy and fight for the right to survive.’

‘A rousing speech,’ Riker muttered.

‘Captain,’ Daniels interjected. ‘There’s a signal coming from Cardassian space.’

‘A response?’

‘Maybe sir, it’s being broadcast on all frequencies from Cardassia Prime.’

‘Let’s hear it.’

‘Two years ago, our government signed a treaty with the Dominion,’ Legate Damar stated. ‘In it the Dominion promised to extend Cardassia's influence throughout the Alpha Quadrant. In exchange, we pledged ourselves to join the war against the Federation and its allies. Cardassians have never been afraid of war, a fact we've proven time and again over these past two years. Seven million of our brave soldiers have given their lives to fulfil our part of the agreement, and what has the Dominion done in return? Nothing. We've gained no new territories. In fact, our influence throughout the quadrant has diminished. And to make matters worse we are no longer masters in our own home. Travel anywhere on Cardassia and what do you find? Jem'Hadar, Vorta, and now Breen.

‘Instead of the invaders we have become the invaded. Our allies have conquered us without firing a single shot. Well, no longer. This morning detachments of the Cardassian First, Third and Ninth Orders attacked the Dominion outpost on Rondac III. This assault marks the first step towards the liberation of our homeland, from the true oppressors of the Alpha Quadrant. I call upon Cardassians everywhere. Resist. Resist today. Resist tomorrow. Resist till the last Dominion soldier has been driven from our soil!’

‘Well, that was interesting,’ Troi murmured.

‘Captain...’

‘I know, Lieutenant, Admiral Nechayev.’

Daniels grinned. ‘Yes sir.’

‘Number One, we’ll assemble in the observation lounge as soon as I’ve finished with the Admiral.’

Old October 15 2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Mistral
Vice Admiral

All righty then. Let's see where it goes.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2008, 11:06 PM   #7
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

Sounds interesting so far.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2008, 06:04 AM   #8
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Oooh, intriguing...the whole quadrant is going to get screwed if DS9 fell again!

And I'm worried for Damar--if this battle goes worse for Starfleet than the real timeline, I'm concerned he and the rebellion are likely to get squashed like ants before they can make a difference.
Old October 16 2008, 03:09 PM   #9
DavidFalkayn
Commodore

Interesting...and I see Daniels is here...even more intriguing. I'm curious to see where you take this.
Old October 16 2008, 04:06 PM   #10
mirandafave
Fleet Captain

Was expecting the DS9 crowd and we end up with the Enterprise. Quite intriguing really. Especially Daniels being there if he is the Daniels we think him to be ...
mirandafave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2008, 04:49 PM   #11
bigguy
Lieutenant Commander

I think he is not the Daniels your thinking of. In Nemesis I belive, Lt. Daniels was the Tactical officer of the E but I could be wrong.
Old October 16 2008, 04:51 PM   #12
bigguy
Lieutenant Commander

Scratch that looked it up on Memory Alpha, he was the tactical/security officer on the E in First Contact and Insurrection.
Old October 16 2008, 07:28 PM   #13
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

Lieutenant Daniels is the Daniels of FC and INS, not TCW Daniels.

Just to clarify.

Old October 17 2008, 03:56 PM   #14
mirandafave
Fleet Captain

Ah but you can never tell with Xeris stories - he has an uncanny way of reinviting things - for the better more often and certinly in fresh new ways. Seeing as how this was a re-imagining you never could tell - So it's good to get clarification before I start imagining all sorts
mirandafave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2008, 11:07 PM   #15
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

Chapter Two

Captain Benjamin Sisko opened his eyes and saw white all around him.

In an instant he remembered where he was and where he had been. He remembered the escape pod being targeted and then vaporised along with every other pod in the Chin’toka system. His colleagues and friends were dead. He knew that with certainty. The others were not important to the Prophets, not as important as the Emissary. Not worth saving.

‘Why?’ he asked to no one in particular.

Sisko found himself back on the Defiant, the battle going on him.

‘The Sisko is of Bajor,’ the Kira Prophet informed him.

‘His destiny is not yet complete,’ the Worf Prophet added.

‘The Sisko has a new task,’ the Sarah Prophet informed him, touching his ear as Kai Opaka once did.

‘The Sisko must follow his destiny,’ the O’Brien Prophet agreed with the Worf Prophet.

‘The Sisko can follow both paths,’ the Dax Prophet interrupted.

‘We must show the Sisko what will be,’ the Nog Prophet suggested.

‘What will be and what has been,’ the others agreed.

Sisko was confused. Never before had the Prophets spoken in such riddles and in such discord. ‘What is happening?’

‘The Sisko must see what will be,’ the Kira Prophet agreed and the scene changed to the escape pods being picked up by Starfleet, Klingon and Romulan vessels.

In what could have been a few seconds or several weeks, Sisko saw events unfold as they never would. Gowron taking control of the Klingon forces; Worf killing Gowron and Martok becoming Chancellor; Bashir’s hunt for Odo’s cure by luring Section 31 to the station; and Gul Dukat and Kai Winn working with the Pah-wraiths. He saw everything from the Prophets’ perspective. The way the war should have ended.

‘The Sisko must follow another path,’ the Sarah Prophet reminded them.

‘The Sisko must learn to guide people,’ the Kira Prophet told the others. ‘He must learn quickly. We do not have much time.’

Sisko’s eyes widened at the Prophet’s use of linear terminology. ‘What is happening?’ he asked again.

Sisko suddenly found himself in a baseball field with the same action being repeated over and over again. A red-hued figure was hitting home runs with every swing of the bat. The blue-hued figures always scrambled but never reached the ball.

‘The Sisko must protect the game,’ the Sarah Prophet said almost tearfully.

Sisko watched and realised that a Pah-wraith had caused the timeline to change, and that the Prophets were unable to do anything about it. Unable or unwilling, they were passing the job to Their Emissary.

‘What must I learn?’ he asked.

‘The Sisko must choose lives to guide,’ the Nog Prophet stated.

‘The Sisko must guide these lives to protect the game at all costs.’

He sighed. The game was not merely one life anymore, not to Them. It represented Them, the Celestial Temple and the people of Bajor. Perhaps all life. He knew that the Prophets had chosen Sarah once upon a time to create the outcome They desired, that They knew would come to pass. Now They didn’t know what would happen and it scared Them. And he didn’t have the time to breed new people to help them. He needed to choose people who already existed and who already had the capabilities to help.

‘Show me...what is,’ he asked Them.

The scene changed almost too fast for him to see what was happening but he saw enough to be able to choose three people...and then decided on a fourth as a failsafe plan.

‘I have chosen.’

‘You must make sure they are Touched by Us,’ the Kira Prophet informed him. ‘Only then can you guide them.’

Sisko didn’t know what to make of that but was aware of time running out. ‘What do I do?’

As the Prophets explained what he had to do, Sisko turned a small part of his mind to the tactical issues that had served him so well as a Starfleet officer making strategy plans against the Dominion and their allies.

Phaser in hand, Ensign Ro Laren crept through the underbrush of the planetoid on which she had made her base of operations. Officially persona non grata within Starfleet, she had been stockpiling weapons and rations and technology from wherever she could as a starting point for open rebellion which she convinced Nechayev was coming. Although Nechayev had not been able to convince Starfleet Command, she set into motion events which led to Ro’s current situation. Something moved ahead of her and she stopped, listening for the slightest sound.

‘Come on, Ro, I know you’re in the grass,’ a familiar voice said and Ro sighed, knowing the game was up.

‘How did you find me?’ she asked as she stood up and looked up at the tall bearded man that had been her constant companion over the last few months.

Thomas Riker tapped his nose. ‘My secret. Come on, your Starfleet buddies will be here in a few hours and we need to be ready to move out.’

‘We can’t take everything with us. They’re not going to send the Enterprise into the Badlands. It’ll probably just be a shuttlecraft or a runabout.’

‘We’ll pack it full. Where are we headed anyway?’

Ro pointed the phaser at him. ‘I told you before. You’re not a Changeling are you?’

Riker sighed. ‘For Ho’nig’s sake, Laren, don’t you trust me?’

‘No.’

‘Not even after all we’ve been through?’

‘No.’

‘Do you trust anyone?’

Ro considered her response. There was one man she trusted because he was always there in her darkest hour. ‘Picard.’

‘I should have known,’ Riker replied. ‘It always comes back to the Enterprise. What is it about him that inspires such loyalty?’

‘If you have to ask, then you can’t understand,’ she shot back.

He held up his hands in mock surrender. ‘So how long will it take us to get to the Temecklia system then?’

‘That depends on what we run up against,’ Ro muttered in answer and wished that she had not agreed to take Riker from Nechayev’s hands.