Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old October 24 2008, 03:29 PM   #46
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: Shatner Calls Takei 'Sick'

brains! wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
^ Because all gay men have secret feelings for the straight men they know, right? Even the assholes like Shatner.
You said it, I didn't. My comment was about one man vs. one man, you took it to extremes.

Thanks for stereotyping the gay male community BTW.
Since George's orientation became known to the general public, every time a discordance comes up, some cheerful waif with no originality will chime in with, "He must have had his advances spurned." Assuming that a gay man cannot have a legitimate grievance with another man without it being sexually driven, that's the stereotype.
Could be because a great many straight men don't hold such grievances for decades on end, unless it does involve someone of the opposite sex. If such things can be true of straight men, why would gay men be any different?

What you may see as stereotyping, I see as a psychological observation of how the male mind works. Besides, you said "all gay men", that's a stereotype. I stated both by name which limited my statement to just those two particular men. That's not stereotyping, you're just taking a statement and turning it too the extreme to include an entire group which I did not.

I hope I've made my point clear now so we can discontinue a pointless disagreement.
Old October 24 2008, 03:35 PM   #47
Brian
Vice Admiral

Then Jimmy Doohan, the king of holding a grudge against Bill Shatner, was gay?

And I'm not interested in a pointless argument, either. I've just seen one too many captions or remarks about all the spurned advances George Takei has had to suffer. Your posting was "that straw", not offensive in and of itself, just reminding me what I think about the trend.

Peace.
Old October 24 2008, 03:43 PM   #48
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Then Jimmy Doohan, the king of holding a grudge against Bill Shatner, was gay?

And I'm not interested in a pointless argument, either. I've just seen one too many captions or remarks about all the spurned advances George Takei has had to suffer. Your posting was "that straw", not offensive in and of itself, just reminding me what I think about the trend.

Peace.
It's called "personal opinion" which doesn't have to be based upon fact, just point of view. I'm sorry you read too much into it and take it personally. Nearly every race & culture has to endure something, Takei or the gay community isn't any acception. Besides, Takei has been throwing stones for years, it's time someone tore his glass house down and gave him a taste of his on medicine.
Old October 24 2008, 04:26 PM   #49
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

Sorry, Exodus, you dug yourself a hole out of which I'm afraid you're not able to escape. You were the one being bigoted and to try to defend it you've only made yourself look worse.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Old October 24 2008, 04:43 PM   #50
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Star Treks wrote: View Post
Sorry, Exodus, you dug yourself a hole out of which I'm afraid you're not able to escape. You were the one being bigoted and to try to defend it you've only made yourself look worse.
If people on a message board that don't know me personally wish to judge my content of character based upon one statement, then they didn't mean shit to me to begin with.

I have a very strong reputation on this board as an equal rights activist which has earned me great respect amoung many. Due to that, many on and off this board would laugh & roll their eyes at your claim that I'm a bigot. Not to mention your definition of the word "bigot" is also wrong because I have shown no intolerance of anyones race, creed or beliefs.

So if you're going to accuse somebody of something next time make sure it's correct.

Last edited by exodus; October 24 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old October 24 2008, 04:46 PM   #51
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Rabittfang wrote: View Post
I really like Mr. Takei, but truthfully... Enough. The guy is relentless in his Shat-bashery. And it's been going on for years. I'm not surprised the Shat felt the need to poke back at least once.
The problem is, that sound bites from some of the supporting cast members aren't quotable and won't make it into the press unless there's some dirt there about the real Star(s) of Star Trek, and that's good 'ol Bill, who is still enjoying a successful acting career.
So it's not surprising that this kinda mud-slinging is frequently included in the things Takei says.
The Shatman is right. Let it go dude. It makes him seem like he's still riding coattails if he feels the need to evoke Shatner's name all the time to get any attention. It seems that way whether it's true or not.
My 2 coppers.

-Rabittooth
Awesom post RABITTOOTH...couldn't have said it better. I am sure that George had a good reason to not like Shat..but egotistical stars are a part of that business...if he didn't learn that 40 years ago it probably explains why it seems he has been stuck in a black-hole for the past 40 years, career wise..

Rob
Old October 24 2008, 11:10 PM   #52
Rabittooth
Commander

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post

Awesom post RABITTOOTH...couldn't have said it better. I am sure that George had a good reason to not like Shat..but egotistical stars are a part of that business...if he didn't learn that 40 years ago it probably explains why it seems he has been stuck in a black-hole for the past 40 years, career wise..

Rob
Heh. If George Takei speaks to the press and it does not contain a Shat-slur, does it make a sound?
Probably, but will anyone pay attention?
I feel bad pointing that out, cause I really do dig Takei and I would love to see something done with him in command of Excelsior. However on sheer coolness factor...I'm much more interested in the things the Shat has to say and what he's doing.

-Rabittooth
Old October 25 2008, 08:28 PM   #53
ArthurKing
Ensign

Discordia wrote: View Post
ArthurKing wrote: View Post
Split personality on this one:

The a$$hole in me wants to write () that this all must have been the product of Big Daddy Shat spurning a rakish young Sulu back in the TOS 1960s ('Um, Bill, I think have some trouble with my own 'tribbles' -- can you take a look?'

The un-pc part of me wants to write that, quite frankly, it was a little lame for Takei to come out of the closet so late in the game. Seriously, grow a pair: I can see someone being quiet about it back when, but not in the last few decades. 'Coming out' in the early 21st century at 70+ years of age smacked of attention seeking behavior (something Shatner is also clearly prone to). It also speaks to the possibility of Takei having some larger issues, which might be manifesting here - seriously, although Shatner is going to get pummeled for these comments, staying in the closet for 70 years is going to screw you up.

The mature part of me wants to write that I completely agree with the poster above me: these are both old men who have had long and relatively successful careers and, like it or not, have a fair share of common memories and experiences, if only through the fact that they've worked together for years (despite Shatner's attempt to downplay 'a few movies'). It's ridiculous for them to be holding grudges - either of them - or for them to be airing this out in public, via videos, youtube, etc. I always thought that you became less petty (and more mature) when you entered your 'golden years' ... apparently not.
Dude, isn't "coming out" in 2008 like a million times easier than it would have been in 1966? What, was Tekei supposed to go without a career to "live authentically". I think back then, gayness meant pretty much your career ended -- and probably your family would hate you and kick you out.

It isn't a question of "grow a pair" so much as not being a fucking idiot.
You didn't read my post carefully. I acknowledged that coming out in the 60s was pretty much a no-no if you wanted to have a career. But that taboo was dissolving throughout the 1980s, coincident with the surging gay rights / pride movements. Coming out in the 80s or 90s wasn't a career ending move. It's highly suspect that he came out so late in the game, although a poster above suggests it might have been related to his mother (though see a refutation of that theory by another poster ex post).
Old October 25 2008, 11:38 PM   #54
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

ArthurKing wrote: View Post
You didn't read my post carefully. I acknowledged that coming out in the 60s was pretty much a no-no if you wanted to have a career. But that taboo was dissolving throughout the 1980s, coincident with the surging gay rights / pride movements. Coming out in the 80s or 90s wasn't a career ending move.
The mid 1980s was in fact a time when it was particularly difficult to be an "out" gay actor in Hollywood due to misinformation and anxiety about AIDS and concomitant insurance issues.
Old October 25 2008, 11:58 PM   #55
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

^ Because all gay men have secret feelings for the straight men they know, right? Even the assholes like Shatner.
They might be secret feelings like "god I'd love to kill that loudmouthed fucktard." Okay not so secret.

This all strikes me as a couple of actors with somewhat "healthy" egos who want to be in the public eye, and kicking up a squabble is as good a way to do it as any. Just look at all the fakey fights among celebs that break out all the time? Why should the young'uns have all the fun?