Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 22 2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Mr Light
Admiral

Clone Wars '05 Series Under Embargo?!

Thanks to the excitement over the new Clone Wars series, I figured I might as well buy the second volume of the original Clone Wars toon (I already own the first one). I go on Amazon... not available new, and copies sell for $25 used! I check all the major websites, no-one is selling them. I go to the FYE in the mall and they don't have any new or used. On E-Bay someone was selling one saying it was "out of print".

Has Lucas yanked the original Clone Wars cartoon from the store shelves, like the Disney Vault?

I've noticed that in all the interviews regarding the new series, everyone involved always plays down the original series, calling it a "micro" series or an "experiment".

Did Lucas do this to avoid name brand confusion between the old show and the new show since the only difference in their titles is a "THE"?

You would think that the old show would sell like crazy as a tie-in and that'd be more money to make. I'm perplexed.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 09:52 PM   #2
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Clone Wars '05 Series Under Embargo?!

That's a shame, the old Clone Wars series was damn good and a lot better than the current Clone Wars.

By the way, what is the continuity situation between the two Clone Wars series? Current Clone Wars features Anakin as a Jedi Knight, but Assajj Ventress(sp) is alive. In the old Clone Wars series, Anakin wasn't made a Knight until after he killed Assajj Ventress. Clearly they aren't ignoring the other series, since Ventress was a character created for it, but are they rewriting it to fit the needs of the current one?
Old October 22 2008, 10:05 PM   #3
Smiley
Rear Admiral

Ventress never died on the cartoon as she has appeared in later continuity. We don't know her final fate.

Given the continuity issues and the potential for confusion, I'm not too surprised that the CW microseries is out of print.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 12:15 AM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral

Oh well, I didn't realize Ventress's apparent death was already established as a non-death. What she do, fall in the same plot hole that apparently saved Boba Fett's life?
Old October 23 2008, 02:00 AM   #5
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Maybe they're just out of print right now? I seem to remember the Episodes 1 and 2 DVDs being out of print for a little while before Episode 3 came out in theaters.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 03:04 AM   #6
nx1701g
Admiral

Star Wars: Clone Wars was released in a limited edition DVD print that had a shelf life period and copies were pulled after a set period of time. LucasFilm does it with all their major properties.
Old October 23 2008, 04:17 AM   #7
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Ventress was a character created for it
Was she? I know she showed up in some novels around the same time, but I don't know which came first.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 04:36 AM   #8
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Oh well, I didn't realize Ventress's apparent death was already established as a non-death. What she do, fall in the same plot hole that apparently saved Boba Fett's life?
According to the new Essential Star Wars Chronology (which covers all stories and continuity from the Old Republic all the way through the New Jedi Order), Ventress supposedly had a near conversion to the light side, hinted to Obi-Wan that Coruscant would be an upcoming Separatist target, and "died" although later it is discovered that she actually faked her death and managed to escape to whereabouts unknown. I don't know what novel/comic all this takes place but it is apparently part of the chronology.
JediKnightButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Breen Commando
Commander

I just bought both discs last week at Wal-Mart so they couldn't have been out of print...
Old October 23 2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Speaking of the timeline, of the two original cartoon Clone Wars (vols 1 & 2), Volume 2 picks up straight where Vol. 1 left off, but shortly after that there's a big jump in the timeline. Notice Obi-Wan & Anakins hair changes from their original Episode II appearance to a more Episode III look. Then the rest of Vol.2 takes place right before the start of ROTS.

It would seem the new series takes place in between the two. (Though I've only seen the Clone Wars movie, not seen any of the CGI series episodes yet)
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 01:40 PM   #11
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

I heard a month or so back, that Clone Wars and some others are out of print, maybe it was also DROIDS and those Ewok movies.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 03:24 PM   #12
Saul
Rear Admiral

Yeah I noticed this was happening recently after the movie release. Maybe it will be added as an extra to some Clone Wars box set in future.
Old October 23 2008, 04:01 PM   #13
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Suckage. I was really hoping to get the series for a friend for xmas and perhaps catch up on it myself (I only saw a few eps).
Old October 23 2008, 04:42 PM   #14
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Didn't Lucasfilm, Fox, whoever say that the SE Original Trilogy DVDs (the ones with the SE and the non-animorphic originals) were a limited release?

They came out in 2006 and I'm sure I remember reading they wouldn't be available after December 31 2006... but of course you can still easily get them anywhere now nearly two years on
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Mike Farley
Commodore

When a DVD goes "out of print" it generally doesn't mean that it's yanked from the shelves and hidden away in a literal vault somewhere. It just means no more copies are being produced. Stores continue to sell the DVD until they run out of stock.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote