Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 21 2008, 05:57 AM   #1
2 of 10
Captain

Section 31...

In the episode of DS-9 "Inquisition" Slone mentions to Bashir that Section 31 has been part of the Federation since it's original charter. Does anyone recall any mention of Section 31 in any other Trek Series or Films.

It does make sence that the Federation would have it's own Internal Intelligence Branch. The Romulans have the Tal-Shair, and the Cardassians have the Obsidian Order. It would seem to me that it would be a bit nieve for the Federation to not have internal security of it own.
2 of 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2008, 06:11 AM   #2
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Section 31...

I believe that there was never any mention of Section 31 prior to DS9. Any suggestions that they were there would be speculative at best. (Except VOY/ENT.)
Old October 21 2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Sheliak
Commodore

"Is there a John-Luck Pickard here?" Tapestry

Sheliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2008, 03:18 PM   #4
dave_R_treker
Captain

2 of 10 wrote: View Post
In the episode of DS-9 "Inquisition" Slone mentions to Bashir that Section 31 has been part of the Federation since it's original charter. Does anyone recall any mention of Section 31 in any other Trek Series or Films.

It does make sence that the Federation would have it's own Internal Intelligence Branch. The Romulans have the Tal-Shair, and the Cardassians have the Obsidian Order. It would seem to me that it would be a bit nieve for the Federation to not have internal security of it own.
Nothing to my knowlage was mentioned prior to this episode. There are books that take place prior to this episode. And also the few episodes of Enterprise that had section 31 in it. But like I said, nothing prior to the actual airing of the episode.
dave_R_treker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

No mention of it.... because...
Old October 21 2008, 04:29 PM   #6
USS Excelsior
Commodore

The episode "Divergence" in ENT features Section 31 with an agent named Harris that secretly gives Malcolm orders and ultimately lands him in the brig. Harris would also appear in "Demons".
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2008, 04:47 PM   #7
T'Cal
Commodore

Nerys Dukat wrote: View Post
I believe that there was never any mention of Section 31 prior to DS9. Any suggestions that they were there would be speculative at best. (Except VOY/ENT.)
Then let's speculate! I would guess that Adm. Pressman was working with if not a part of S31. While there was no indication that Shelby was, had she stuck around, I can easily imagine her as an operative of S31. Also, rather than kill off Yar, she would've made a fine member as well. Paris might've made a good one, too, reluctant like Bashir and Reed but capable.
Old October 21 2008, 10:03 PM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral

The novels have had a field day with Section 31. Off the top of my head, they have said that the events of Insurrection and the TOS episode The Enterprise Incident were Section 31 operations.

Of course, novels are not canon.
Old October 21 2008, 10:27 PM   #9
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

What I always couldn't quite fathom was whether or not Admiral Ross was a Section 31 operative or whether he was just reluctantly sucked into that particular situation. (I'm talking about the episode where they go to Romulus.)
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2008, 10:40 PM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral

I was under the impression that he relunctantly allowed himself to be duped into becoming their shit-pawn.
Old October 21 2008, 11:05 PM   #11
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

The only canon mentions of S31 occur on Enterprise and DS9.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2008, 11:19 PM   #12
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Been a while since I watched the relevant eps of ENT. Is the group actually referred to as "Section 31" in those eps?
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 12:33 AM   #13
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Ethros wrote: View Post
Been a while since I watched the relevant eps of ENT. Is the group actually referred to as "Section 31" in those eps?
One time it was referenced as "Article 14, Section 31" to explain and justify their existence in what they were getting involved with and how.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 02:31 AM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The novels have had a field day with Section 31. Off the top of my head, they have said that the events of Insurrection and the TOS episode The Enterprise Incident were Section 31 operations.
So was that whole thing in ST 6.

And Admiral Pressman was obviously Section 31 as well. It's not in a novel that I'm aware of, but...he just *acts* like Section 31.

2 of 10 wrote: View Post
They do, although I believe it's a part of Starfleet. The difference is, Starfleet Intelligence is an entirely legal, above-board, open organization, with government oversight. They must answer to the Starfleet chain of command, and to the Federation at large.

Section 31, on the other hand, answers TO NO ONE. Not even the Federation President! They are totally secret, totally amoral. Organizations like that have no business existing.
Old October 22 2008, 03:58 AM   #15
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

...but they do... even in the US. CIA, NSA.. and even more ominous groups DO exist.