Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old October 20 2008, 09:18 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek XI' Prequel Comics

Star Trek: Countdown, the new comic prequel series that will take fans up to the timeframe of Star Trek XI will kick off in January 2009.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, the series, written by Mike Johnson and Tim Jones, is based on a story by Star Trek XI Director J.J. Abrams and writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, will run for four issues.

The series will "cover the origin of Nero, the mysterious Romulan who will ultimately threaten the survival of the whole universe." Nero is the villain of Star Trek XI and will be traveling back in time to cause problems. The time frame for the comics is in the Star Trek: The Next Generation era, after Star Trek: Nemesis. Main characters in the prequel will be Nero, elder Spock and possibly other familiar characters from the Next Generation timeframe.

The first issue will appear in January 2009. Subsequent issues will appear every month afterwards, with the final issue and a trade paperback collection of the series to appear in April 2009.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old October 20 2008, 11:21 PM   #2
Danoz
Rear Admiral

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Prequel Comics

That's pretty cool.
Old October 21 2008, 12:35 AM   #3
Procutus
Admiral

I've got to admit, I'm kinda looking forward to this. I haven't bought a Trek comic in years, but this will probably cause me to part with some of my money come January. I hope the expectation doesn't prove to be greater than the event.
Old October 21 2008, 03:34 AM   #4
TheRealNaveed
Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to TheRealNaveed Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TheRealNaveed Send a message via Yahoo to TheRealNaveed

Can't wait! I read the first part of The Hollow Crown, but I was majorly, majorly disappointed.
Old October 21 2008, 04:23 PM   #5
T'Cal
Commodore

As cool as this is, I would've prefered an animated movie direct to DVD version of the comic story. I'll buy the comics, of course, but I think they would've drawn in a larger audience by going the animated DVD route instead.
Old October 21 2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Capt.April
Lieutenant Commander

I'll get 'em.. Always liked Star Trek comics and this will be a good excuse. Of course it's all part of the marketing scheme but heck, it's Star Trek.

I like the continuty with the original series too, it's a reboot but more of an ordered one it'll be great going from TNG ot TOS instead of the other way around..
Old October 21 2008, 10:36 PM   #7
mostlyharmless
Vice Admiral

This makes me wonder if there are going to be any surprise TNG cameos in the movie.