Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode
Excellent 31 39.24%
Above Average 31 39.24%
Average 12 15.19%
Below Average 4 5.06%
Poor 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 22 2008, 02:28 AM   #91
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: HEROES 3x06 "Dying of the Light" Discuss and Grade

Is "The Hunger" really such a handicap? It seems more psychological than anything else.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 02:34 AM   #92
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

They made such a big deal about setting "the hunger" up via Peter, only to take it away from him so quickly. Seems like we're bound for some payoff via Arthur.
Old October 22 2008, 03:22 AM   #93
stj
Rear Admiral

I haven't bothered to watch but that makes the posts even more interesting to read. For instance, since Sylar was evil maniac for all of season two, which wasn't so hot, why is everyone convinced that turning him back into Gabriel is such a bad idea? If Eeeeeeevil Sylar was such hot shit, shouldn't exciting stories be easy to write? Except they weren't.

It's also fascinating that no one talks too much about Bennet any more. Since he was turned good, he really isn't an interesting character any more. Whether or not they did a full fledged redemption arc for him, an evil Bennet would give Claire real angst, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, there are no posts about Mr. Muggles' character development.
Old October 22 2008, 03:40 AM   #94
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
They made such a big deal about setting "the hunger" up via Peter, only to take it away from him so quickly. Seems like we're bound for some payoff via Arthur.
Yeah it should be difficult for him not to eat the people he's recruited.

Actually I just realized his power is a sort of a rip off of Jordan Collier from the 4400 (combined with Rogue's power of course). That's another similarity to The 4400 this season.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 03:40 AM   #95
Dream
Admiral

Hayden Panettiere Talks about John McCain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGiUq4RDCSE
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 03:44 AM   #96
Assimilated Tom
Vice Admiral

cyph wrote: View Post
the Dagman wrote: View Post
Only this time, Future Peter (who got repowered by reencountering people with those powers like Claire, Elle, Hiro and Sylar) made sure his father took a piece of Sylar's "sponge" by having his younger self absorb Sylar's power and hunger before Arthur resurfaced and cleaned current Peter out. Remember that this season's future painter said everything had changed after that.

One thing to look forward to: Now that he has no regeneration, look for Peter to get the scar his future self had.
Very interesting points, sir.

I don't see why we should expect Peter to be able to re-power: logically, if Arthur drains all powers, Peter should have lost his "power sponging" power, not just his acquired abilities. He shouldn't even be able to get powers anymore.

Now, if they're going for the Sylar redemption angle, Sylar should be able to modify Peter's brain to give him his abilities back. After all, that's how Sylar's been giving himself powers all this time.
Old October 22 2008, 03:59 AM   #97
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Hayden Panettiere Talks about John McCain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGiUq4RDCSE
That was pretty funny! I've gotta email that to a friend.
Old October 22 2008, 04:00 AM   #98
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Interesting this week's graphic novel showed something which could have been seen with the episode. Pity we never got to see it.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 04:09 AM   #99
Agent Richard07
Retired

BOO7! wrote: View Post
^ I thought Peter's power was taken away completely, meaning he can't even absorb new powers. I think he'll have to take the serum to get his power back. If that's the case, I wonder if he'll end up with the same absorbing power he had from the beginning or if he'll get something new.

No, I think that he uses his sons like you would use a sponge to collect water. Peter didn't duplicate the powers his father took from him because of the nature of Arthur's power, he takes them and he does not give. And like wringing water from the sponge, you don't take any of the sponge itself and it can go collect more water after you are done. Only this time, Future Peter (who got repowered by reencountering people with those powers like Claire, Elle, Hiro and Sylar) made sure his father took a piece of Sylar's "sponge" by having his younger self absorb Sylar's power and hunger before Arthur resurfaced and cleaned current Peter out. Remember that this season's future painter said everything had changed after that.
We'll see what happens, but dramatically, it works better if Peter can't even re-absorb powers anymore.

One thing to look forward to: Now that he has no regeneration, look for Peter to get the scar his future self had.
Yeah, I guess they can do that now. I've been wondering how Peter could possibly get a scar.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 04:23 AM   #100
the Dagman
Commodore

Assimilated Tom wrote: View Post
cyph wrote: View Post
Only this time, Future Peter (who got repowered by reencountering people with those powers like Claire, Elle, Hiro and Sylar) made sure his father took a piece of Sylar's "sponge" by having his younger self absorb Sylar's power and hunger before Arthur resurfaced and cleaned current Peter out. Remember that this season's future painter said everything had changed after that.

Very interesting points, sir.

I don't see why we should expect Peter to be able to re-power: logically, if Arthur drains all powers, Peter should have lost his "power sponging" power, not just his acquired abilities. He shouldn't even be able to get powers anymore.

Now, if they're going for the Sylar redemption angle, Sylar should be able to modify Peter's brain to give him his abilities back. After all, that's how Sylar's been giving himself powers all this time.
My theory that Peter's base power remains is based off a couple of observations. First, Future Peter still had them but was using different absorbed powers outside of the basic TK. The serum seems to give random abilities (based off observations of Niki, Tracy and Nathan), so the odds that it would give Peter the same ability he had before are very remote. It is more likely that my sponge theory is what happened than randomly getting the same power again via the serum.

Sylar cannot go into Peter's brain to rewire it as he does his own now because Peter no longer has Claire's regeneration, his father has it now. If he did that now, Peter would wind up just as dead as Alejandro and the rest of Sylar's victims.

And then there was the fact that in the preview for next week we saw Arthur Petrelli handcuffing Peter to a chair in a cell and telling him he's grounded until he comes over to daddy's way of thinking. If Peter has no abilities, why handcuff him? He would be no threat at all. So why? To keep him away from other specials and getting new powers.

Hiro will likely go to Pinehurst next episode, see Peter shackled in his cell, teleport in to save him and, just like that, Peter will have Hiro's abilities again and teleport himself out. Most likely to Claire first for regeneration the following episode, then Elle for offensive lightning power the next episode, and then his brother Nathan for some flight four episodes from now. Then in episode 11 he goes to get Sylar, regains a TK ability, and the brothers Petrelli go to kick some daddy ass for a two episode chapter finale. Or something along those lines.

ETA: I also would not be surprised that Nathan once had similar abilities to Peter and Gabriel/Sylar and that his father took too much in an early power collecting experiment that left Nathan alive but totally powerless. Giving Nathan the need to take the serum to have any power at all again. After that experience Arthur learned to take all but his son's base power. Why? When Arthur takes them from anyone other than family, he kills the special as he did Adam Monroe. With his son's, he can send them back out to dupe the powers again and he is able to feed off the same powers over and over. He is conserving his food that way. And the serum he is making is designed to turn the entire human race into food for Arthur Petrelli.
Old October 22 2008, 05:08 AM   #101
Agent Richard07
Retired

Do we know that the serum would give Peter a random power? It could, but it could also re-activate the power he's supposed to have.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 06:27 AM   #102
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Its good that they nerfed Peter, he was ridiculously overpowered.

Heroes is has always been hectic and crazy with dangling plot threads all over the place and intermingling and getting mixed up, but it's getting out of hand these days.

By the end of the show, Mohinder and Hiro will be gay married, everyone will be found to be a Petrelli, Ando will become a cyborg, Kaito will be ressurected to run against Nathan for President, Parkman will be sent back in time and meet himself, thus trapping the universe in a causality paradox, Angela will get back together with Arthur to be supreme overlords of the universe, and Sylar will turn out to be Jesus sent forward in time by himself in the future when he gets the power from Hiro (which won't actually happen because the future will change) and his memory wiped by the Haitian, meaning Jesus Christ was also a Petrelli.
Old October 22 2008, 06:39 AM   #103
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Excellent! People who left this show because it was too slow or the characters were too dumb or whatever sure are missing some great stuff now. This one would get high marks just for getting Nathan's shirt off, but there was so much more than that...

Too bad about Adam, I was starting to like him. But the minute I saw that, it relieved my anxieties about Sandra being the "fan favorite" slated to buy it. That would take the show in an overly dark direction, glad it didn't happen.

Papa Petrelli's power certainly explains why his two younger sons ended up with very similar abilities. I guess Nathan should be grateful he ended up with two "normal" genes or however that works. That's some dangerous mojo! He's already one scary-ass guy. They've got themselves another great character, this show doesn't let up!

Hiro and Ando vs the precog was hilarious. Who didn't know the guy would still hit Hiro with the shovel? Don't have to be a precog to see that one coming.

Claire, Meredith and Sandra work very well together as characters. The "solution" of shooting Claire was too obvious but it certainly was a better outcome than the one I was worrying about.

Matt and Daphne are adorable together. The irony is, Matt's powers would make him one fearsome villain, he's the Puppetmaster only even moreso. He needs to get squarely back into the middle of the plotline, hopefully starting next week.

Any scene with Sylar and Peter together gets high marks from me, but we also got a pretty decent, if swift, fight. No doubt Petey's powerless state is a temporary state of affairs (tho interesting for now) so that's just round, uh, two or three at this point? Out of what, 100? Peter getting mad about Sylar calling his Mom, well, "Mom," was great stuff, sorry kid you're going to have to adjust sooner or later. And I liked Peter showing some intelligence for a change by realizing that the whole Hunger thing was beyond his control and perhaps admitting that Sylar would be the one with the answers. No doubt when his powesr come back, that problem will be right back with em.

Mo is still acting like a Mo-ron, and unless we just assume he's totally bonkers, it makes no sense. He needs to get smacked out of it and become an anti-powers crusader as a result of his guilt over being an idiot. After he kills Maya, please.

Next week:
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 07:04 AM   #104
Hermiod
Admiral

^And that's pretty much why you and I will never agree when it comes to this show.

De-powering Peter is a horrible, horrible decision. I'd rather see him killed off, to be honest.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 07:06 AM   #105
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

BOO7! wrote: View Post
Do we know that the serum would give Peter a random power? It could, but it could also re-activate the power he's supposed to have.
My guess is that it would give him his old power back, but none of the powers he acquired with his power, he would have to get them again.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote