RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,724
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 880
Newest member: vagarcia74

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode
Excellent 31 39.24%
Above Average 31 39.24%
Average 12 15.19%
Below Average 4 5.06%
Poor 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 23 2008, 02:56 PM   #151
label
Vice Admiral

Re: HEROES 3x06 "Dying of the Light" Discuss and Grade

RoJoHellraiser wrote: View Post
Also, label, I feel like I haven't seen you around in a while. Have you been gone, or have just not been paying attention?
I have been around, though I just mostly lurk in the Hero's threads. I follow people's comments like yours, Temis, and alot of the people I've been following for some time.

I'll also lurk/post in the Lost threads when they spin back up in Jan/Feb of next year.

(BTW, nice to know someone still remembers me. )
Old October 23 2008, 04:52 PM   #152
Mallet
Fleet Captain

Acronymity wrote: View Post
I have kinda a dumb question from a show that shows no consistency with how powers work, but I ask it anyway.

We're to assume aging is just like any other physical affliction, which healers like Claire and Adam can just shrug off.

Stealing Adam's power causes the effects of aging to finally show on him.

Wouldn't stealing Peter's power cause the effects of his head-impaling to finally catch up with him? Why wouldn't he die just like Adam did?

It was a cool death scene, but logically I think it'd make more sense for Adam to have just not been able withstand new injuries and age normally, rather than have the effects of his healing suddenly undone.
I agree, but the writers still have an out if they want one. Since we do not yet know the full extent of Arthur's powers we don't know what he can and can't do with them.

Maybe he steals people's "life force" and can control what he takes. Meaning... He took Adam's powers and all his "life force" causing him to wither away and die but he only "stole" enough of Peter's "life force" to take away his powers not drain him totally.

Or...

Adam was kept alive by his power and it was so "infused" with his DNA that it was always on and when Arthur took the power Adam aged rapidly and died. Peter was only mimicking Adam's power with his own power so it wasn't "infused" with his DNA so when he lost the power nothing else happened to him.

Not great explanations, but good enough for a super hero show.
Old October 23 2008, 06:22 PM   #153
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Why do they have to deal with him? He and Clare broke up. He wants to remain anonymous. He's dealt with
I missed that somehow. In any case, Season 2 spent quite a deal of energy and time on characters that we'll never see again or see again for no longer than it takes to wrap their story up as quickly as possible. Which is fine. There's nothing wrong with course correction when your ship is heading toward the rocks, but it does confirm how misguided Season 2 actually was.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 07:00 PM   #154
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

We're to assume aging is just like any other physical affliction, which healers like Claire and Adam can just shrug off.

Stealing Adam's power causes the effects of aging to finally show on him.

Wouldn't stealing Peter's power cause the effects of his head-impaling to finally catch up with him? Why wouldn't he die just like Adam did?
I've been assuming that Adam and Claire's regenerative powers work differently, in line with the "multiple paths to the same end" philosophy of having three power-vampires (Arthur, Peter, Sylar), three will-controllers (Eden, Matt, the Puppetmaster) etc who do generally the same thing in different ways. So maybe Claire has a permanent-cure power but Adam only had a temporary-cure, but once that conferred anti-aging, which I don't know that Claire has. Peter should have had both, and when he inevitably gets his sponging power back, he'll get the Claire-style power the next time he encounters her.

The writers do seem clueless about Pasdar's charisma.
They're not clueless about the need to get his shirt off.

They need to set Nathan up better as a leader of the metahumans. He's obviously got it in him, and he will be the good-guy leader. Sylar will take over from Daddy as the bad-guy leader.

Random thought: does Arthur realize he has a third son? If Gabriel and Peter were twins, could Angela have hidden the fact that she gave birth to two boys, and sent one away to try to keep him out of Arthur's clutches? That might be a good explanation for him being adopted out to just any old person. She wanted him to have no connection to the Company.

Then again, you're giving more thought to it than the writers are.
Occupational hazard around here.

As much as I'm enjoying this season so far, it's a convoluted train wreck of a story where half the things in it don't make the least bit of sense.
Even the stuff that does make sense is convoluted to the point where it can be annoying, eg, the entire rationale for Sylar and why he is doing anything at any given time. You gotta enjoy this show for the plot twists and the characters so that you're having too much fun watching to start coming up with complaints until after the episode is over.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 07:18 PM   #155
zenophite
Rear Admiral

i think we're going off track with the idea of taking the "life force" or any of that sort of thing - i would say that the implication is that once his healing factor was taken then he reverted to his real age. I think the premise does not make sense personally - it should have simply have had his body revert to a normal aging/healing state.
Now we also don't know how many other powers Arthur has taken so it could be that he intentionally killed Adam with a different power altogether - i would find this a far more acceptable alternative.

doing it the way they did was more for storytelling reasons than anything logical i.e.

1) by killing Adam we are shown the passing of the torch - Adam may have been a dangerous badass but Arthur is an even bigger evil badass.

2)it becomes obvious that Arthur is also a power collector

this is actually a rather interesting development because it could imply a genetic predisposition to types of powers. Note:

1) Arthur can take your power away permanently
2) Peter can take you power in a benign way
3) Sylar can take your power by looking at your brain

4)nathan doesn't count because he's a DNA tweak

of course that's assuming sylar is related to Arthur - that may not be the case.

All of this now makes me wonder exactly what all the backstory is for the older folks. Linderman was a disciple of Adam, who is perceived as evil in season 1 and 2 respectively. Where does arthur, who seems even more evil, fit into this dynamic? was he opposed to the two? where do the other old timers like nakamura and the elderly black fellow from season 1 fit in?
Old October 23 2008, 07:23 PM   #156
Dream
Admiral

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
I missed that somehow. In any case, Season 2 spent quite a deal of energy and time on characters that we'll never see again or see again for no longer than it takes to wrap their story up as quickly as possible. Which is fine. There's nothing wrong with course correction when your ship is heading toward the rocks, but it does confirm how misguided Season 2 actually was.
Too bad they brought back Maya as a main character this season. Outside of being eye candy she has no purpose on the show anymore.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 07:26 PM   #157
zenophite
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Too bad they brought back Maya as a main character this season. Outside of being eye candy she has no purpose on the show anymore.
Rather bitter candy IMO
I suspect the writers realized how uninteresting she was and expect her to be webbed up for quite some time.
Old October 23 2008, 07:35 PM   #158
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

I cant imagine how at this point, anyone could be watching this show for anything other than the lols...

Sylar will take over from Daddy as the bad-guy leader.
but Sylar is a Good Boy now. :\

I wonder if we'll ever see Sylar's adoptive father?
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 07:37 PM   #159
zenophite
Rear Admiral

melancholymecha wrote: View Post
I wonder if we'll ever see Sylar's adoptive father?
Probably an agent like Noah?
Old October 23 2008, 07:37 PM   #160
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

of course that's assuming sylar is related to Arthur - that may not be the case.
We don't have 100% confirmation that Peter or Nathan are related to Arthur, etiher. Or Angela for that matter. We're just taking characters' word for it. They could backtrack on any of this at any time. The only reason they wouldn't is that it wouldn't serve a story purpose.

She exists so that Mo can kill her sort of accidentally on purpose and snap the hell out of his lizard-spider-human fly nonsense. I just with they'd get on with it already.

melancholymecha wrote: View Post
I cant imagine how at this point, anyone could be watching this show for anything other than the lols...

Sylar will take over from Daddy as the bad-guy leader.
but Sylar is a Good Boy now. :\
That won't last. He'll get huuungry again. Also he's still a massive egomaniac. Nathan and Peter are also egotistical in their own ways, but Sylar is in a whole other league. Learning that his parents are important is feeding his ego (and probably contributes a lot to his seeming "goodness") but his ego is going to drive him to bigger things, following in the footsteps of his erstwhile future self from 5YG.
Old October 23 2008, 07:38 PM   #161
Mallet
Fleet Captain

Well the first two season were setting it up that all the old timers got together to form "The Company" with what I assume was the idea of keeping supers from becoming public knowledge, tracking people with powers, getting rid of those who were dangerous and then also molding the future to what they wanted (one of their own in the white house) & getting rich in the process.

It seems to me at some point (maybe after he "died") Arthur set up Pineherst as a rival company with a more sinister agenda.

Remember, Peter and Nathan were in regular contact to their father right up until 6 months before season one began when he "died". And their mother was with their father right up until the end, and was still shaken up by his death when the series started (remember she got caught shoplifting as a "cry for attention" in the first episode) and judging by her surprise in the last couple of episodes, she was sure he was dead.

So, it doesn't really make too much sense, unless... was Arthur betrayed by his wife & Linderman & the rest of the company? That would go along way to explaining things.

Maybe they betrayed him and tried to kill him (and thought they had) but he survived and is now putting together his "army" to get revenge? Or maybe he is actually a good guy? We've only seen him kill Adam who we know is super evil... So maybe he is actually a good guy and the company is the bad guys?
Old October 23 2008, 07:44 PM   #162
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I really think we'll learn all of the Company/Pinehearst bits and pieces in the Five Years Gone/Four Months Ago of this volume. It must be due fairly soon, episode 9 at the latest I'd say.
Old October 23 2008, 09:28 PM   #163
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Casting news for new character:

The comments section is hilarious. They're making pretty much the same comments we'd make here. "Just stop, for the love of God and your sanity, STOP!!!!"

Anyway, maybe with the ratings slipping they'll get budget conscious and realize they can't afford to hire any new actors, just make use of the ones they have now. I can't even imagine what a cast this massive must be costing. Sure they don't use all the actors all the time, but just having them available is going to cost something vs cutting some loose and not hiring more!!!!
Old October 23 2008, 09:33 PM   #164
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

It's really hilarious how fast people have turned on the show. It's faster that Lost.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 09:35 PM   #165
Aragorn
Admiral

Arthur would've been a better choice for the one Molly feared than Maury, especially considering how easy it was for Matt to dispatch Maury the first time around.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote