Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old October 17 2008, 06:17 PM   #31
EJD1984
Commander

Re: ST XI ships

I've just noticed a possible new design astetic with the Kelvin (and possibility the Enterprise as well).

There doesn't appear to be any windows along the saucer's edge.

Though in the closeup of the Kelvin attack, there seems to be a few small windows on the deck(s) just below the bridge.
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2008, 07:17 PM   #32
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

EJD1984 wrote: View Post
There doesn't appear to be any windows along the saucer's edge.
Indeed, but notice that the Art Deco striping added by ST:TMP visual effects art director Richard Taylor to the rim of the NCC-1701 Refit's saucer also makes an appearance on the Kelvin. I wonder how many other design elements have Abrams and company cherry-picked from earlier - and by definition superior - Trek conceptual illustrators.

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2008, 07:29 PM   #33
EJD1984
Commander

I noticed that "striping" on the Kelvin as well (in the -A refit, it was part of the deflector grid). Though in the teaser, it seems to be gone from the Enterprise, as well as any form of windows.

I know that in the future windows may be seen as a luxury and unnecessary, but from a big screen movie perspective, you somewhat need them for visual detail.
Old October 17 2008, 07:30 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

^^But the E in the teaser trailer is "under construction," so it wouldn't have its racing stripes painted on yet.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2008, 08:38 PM   #35
Harry
Captain

Some information

Specifically, that this is a ship from before Kirk. Allegedly, Kirk's dad is the XO of the Kelvin, and it's fighting Romulans. Based on the age of George Kirk's actor, I'd guesstimate the scenes with the Kelvin take place in the late 2220s.

The beauty of this design is that it actually does seem to fit very nicely in the established timeline. Call em crazy, but that saucer shape does have the sharp edges and 'military' look that I associate with early 23rd century stuff (see Baton Rouge).
Old October 17 2008, 08:39 PM   #36
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Do these twits know the reason for having a timeline?
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2008, 09:17 PM   #37
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

JuanBOOlio wrote: View Post
Gripes:

The 0 in the registry IS a little odd. Why?
It's in the alternate universe.
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2008, 09:53 PM   #38
shipfisher
Commander

Harry wrote: View Post
Some information

Specifically, that this is a ship from before Kirk. Allegedly, Kirk's dad is the XO of the Kelvin, and it's fighting Romulans. Based on the age of George Kirk's actor, I'd guesstimate the scenes with the Kelvin take place in the late 2220s.

The beauty of this design is that it actually does seem to fit very nicely in the established timeline. Call em crazy, but that saucer shape does have the sharp edges and 'military' look that I associate with early 23rd century stuff (see Baton Rouge).
Funny you should mention the Baton Rouge class. There's a "Vance's Toolkit" kitbash over in the Trek Art section here called the "USS Andropov" which is an over/under nacelle design based on the Baton Rouge. I first saw it after reading the AICN report of Trek XI footage showing an over/under nacelle ship. I assumed the ship reported by AICN was the Kelvin and thought the Andropov would probably look pretty close to the pre-TOS ship described.

I know that many are assuming a one ventral nacelle/dorsal deflector pod layout for the Kelvin, which may well be correct, but I think the AICN correspondent may have got a better look at the Kelvin than we have yet.
shipfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2008, 05:34 AM   #39
JuanBolio
Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Very little of the timeline or design aesthetic outside of on-screen canon has been established.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2008, 10:48 AM   #40
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
The NCC-0514 thing is sorta weird: the only time Starfleet has put a zero in front of the rego before was NX-01 (plus the fake NX-01A or NX-01-A). Do we infer that the people who built the Kelvin were already sure there would be more than a thousand ships in service within her lifetime?
NCC-0514 (Starship class 05, production vehicle 14)?

Sure it conflicts with the registry of the Grissom, but hardly anyone liked that ship anyway...
Old October 18 2008, 02:51 PM   #41
Timo
Admiral

Though in the closeup of the Kelvin attack, there seems to be a few small windows on the deck(s) just below the bridge.
Those are probably the bright floodlights for the pennants, rather than windows...

NCC-0514 (Starship class 05, production vehicle 14)?
That'd be a nice "inside nod", but as said, inconsistent with modern Trek. And it's not as if the United States Navy ever believed in initial zeroes, either. There was no FFG-01 or -001, only FFG-1. Which incidentally meant that the Oliver Hazard Perry class didn't have to suffer through any James Bond jokes.

I totally dig the (coincidental?) similarities with Baton Rouge: the flat bridge, the terraced design, the lack of saucer curvature.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2008, 10:35 PM   #42
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

After the 0514 was destroyed, that number(minus the 0) was free to be reassigned?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2008, 01:12 AM   #43
Major Chord
Choir Boy Extraordinaire

Maybe the blue pulses being fired by the pop up weapons emplacements are an anti fighter weapon. Perhaps using plasma cannon technology, or possibly, mini photon torpedoes. They do look an awful lot like the photon torpedoes fired by the Defiant in IaMD. Fired en-masse, they could be an effective anti-fighter 'flak' weapon. I doubt they'd do any real damage to a full sized combat ship though. THe phaser beam also looks like it's being fired from the ship, because it is brightest ( and strongest looking) closer to the hull, and seems to be emerging from a TMP-like phaser bank. I probably wrong though, because the article going somewhat in-depth on the Kelvin and Kirk's shirt (linked earlier) says that those phaser beams are incoming, not outgoing.
Old October 19 2008, 01:22 AM   #44
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
To give fans masturbation material.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2008, 01:53 AM   #45
EJD1984
Commander

Timo wrote: View Post
Those are probably the bright floodlights for the pennants, rather than windows...
I wasn't referring to the lights projection out. Look above them, and you'll see what appears to be a very small round window, as well as one to the left of the lights.