Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 11 2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

My Dearest Blizzard Entertainment: Fuck You.

As per Joystiq:

And here you thought there'd be no big StarCraft 2 announcement after its conspicuous absence from the BlizzCon 2008 opening ceremony. Rob Pardo, executive vice-president of game design at Blizzard announced that the campaign version of the game will be a trilogy, each part focusing on a separate race.

Terrans - Wings of Liberty
Zerg - Heart of the Swarm
Protoss - Legacy of the Void
Each campaign is going to be released as a separate disc.

Translation: It's time to fork out the cash dollars.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 04:08 PM   #2
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead
Re: My Dearest Blizzard Entertainment: Fuck You.

I feel kind of like Indiana Jones on that Howard the Duck pinball machine....

Will we get to pay for Diablo III five times so we can play as all five of the classes?

How come it's fine to pay once for an RPG like Mass Effect or Oblivion or even Grand Theft Auto 4, all of which have over 50 hours of content if you're determined to do everything the game has to offer...but Blizzard does a long game so we get to pay for it multiple times? They can say it's going to be a long campaign, but YOU KNOW each campaign will be 10-15 hours or so. TOPS.

Meh. I don't pirate software since I got out of college and got a goddamn job but I may very well buy the Human campaign and outright steal the Zerg and Protess levels unless they're very, very fairly priced. I'm thinking, 30 bucks for Terran, 10-15 each for Zerg and Protess.
Old October 11 2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Translation: It's time to fork out the cash dollars.
Or: It takes us too fucking long to finish the game, so we'll sell the finished parts as a new game, one by one.
Old October 11 2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Brolan
Commodore

I'm more concerned with the DRM than paying a few extra dollars for a Blizzard game. My kids and I still play Starcraft and if this new version is half as good it will be money well spent.
Old October 11 2008, 05:31 PM   #5
zenophite
Rear Admiral

I'm glad I don't give a shit about video games.
Old October 11 2008, 05:32 PM   #6
ATimson
Rear Admiral

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
Meh. I don't pirate software since I got out of college and got a goddamn job but I may very well buy the Human campaign and outright steal the Zerg and Protess levels unless they're very, very fairly priced. I'm thinking, 30 bucks for Terran, 10-15 each for Zerg and Protess.
I'm hoping that these'll be $20 a pop, expecting that they'll be $30 a pop, and dreading that they'll be $40 a pop like the WoW expansions.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 06:00 PM   #7
msbae
Commodore

All the more reason for me to keep ignoring Blizzard, like I always have...
msbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 06:40 PM   #8
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Wow. I would maybe get the battle chest no way am I getting those individually.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Brolan wrote: View Post
I'm more concerned with the DRM than paying a few extra dollars for a Blizzard game. My kids and I still play Starcraft and if this new version is half as good it will be money well spent.
I still play StarCraft, too, but if ActiBlizzard thinks it can get away with charging full-price -- or near-full-price -- for three packs that on their own would comprise a complete game, the company has another thing coming.

This, along with the announcement that Battle.net is moving from the free service it's been for more than a decade towards a fee-based model, reeks of Activision management taking hold of Blizzard's direction.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 10:14 PM   #10
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

I'm always puzzled by this notion that people think can demand particular prices on items. That's now how capitalism works, folks. They company charges as much as they estimate people will pay, and in this case, Blizzard clearly thinks people will pay three times over for SC, so that's how they're pricing it. If they're wrong, and nobody buys the game, believe me, they'll lower the price right away.

I'm guessing, however, that most people will fork over the dough, and Blizzard will be vindicated in their pricing model.
Old October 11 2008, 10:32 PM   #11
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
I'm always puzzled by this notion that people think can demand particular prices on items. That's now how capitalism works, folks. They company charges as much as they estimate people will pay, and in this case, Blizzard clearly thinks people will pay three times over for SC, so that's how they're pricing it. If they're wrong, and nobody buys the game, believe me, they'll lower the price right away.

Yeah... that's how capitalism works. If a company charges too much for a product, then less people buy it. This is, in essence, people demanding particular prices on items. So I'm puzzled that you understand the relationship between prices and demand, yet don't think popular opinion on pricing matters. Even if they make a profit on this... which is pretty much assured, really... that doesn't mean that people don't have the right to be disappointed in this pricing model.
Old October 11 2008, 11:30 PM   #12
Icy_Penguigo
Captain

Wow. This is a kick in the nuts. Multiplayer better be done and freely usable on the first one they release, because I won't be buying the other two.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/
Icy_Penguigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 11:42 PM   #13
Brolan
Commodore

Arrghman wrote: View Post
CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post

Yeah... that's how capitalism works. If a company charges too much for a product, then less people buy it. This is, in essence, people demanding particular prices on items. So I'm puzzled that you understand the relationship between prices and demand, yet don't think popular opinion on pricing matters. Even if they make a profit on this... which is pretty much assured, really... that doesn't mean that people don't have the right to be disappointed in this pricing model.
An excellent example of this is the PS3. Sony set the price point too high, now it is at the bottom of the sales charts.
Old October 12 2008, 01:45 AM   #14
Rii
Rear Admiral

Given that each release is set to include a campaign of similar length to that of Starcraft and Brood War, I can't say the pricing particularly concerns me. What does concern me is the narrative implications of such a structure.

So the campaign order:
Terran (SC Demo)
Terran (SC)
Zerg (SC)
Protoss (SC)
Protoss (BW)
Terran (BW)
Zerg (BW)
Terran (SC2)
Zerg (SC2)
Protoss (SC2)

In other Blizzcon news, the Wizard class in Diablo III looks fucking awesome and WoW Live is patching to v3.0 next week. Patch looks to be coming in at around 1.5GB.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 01:50 AM   #15
Icy_Penguigo
Captain

Rii wrote: View Post
In other Blizzcon news, the Wizard class in Diablo III looks fucking awesome and WoW Live is patching to v3.0 next week. Patch looks to be coming in at around 1.5GB.
I can't wait for that freakin' patch. Elemental shamans might finally be viable in pvp!

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/
Icy_Penguigo is offline   Reply With Quote