Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 13 2008, 03:43 AM   #1
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron
The "original" Ten-Forward

When Andrew Probert was doing initial designs on the Galaxy class, he had envisioned what eventually became Ten-Forward (which he dislikes, because he feels it's not really proportional to the saucer) differently. Instead of a big bar/lounge area, there were smaller observation decks where you could go and look at the stars. These areas would have been more private and contemplative.

While I think the final version was more or less okay, I do like this idea and sometimes wish it had been included either on TNG or a later series.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: The "original" Ten-Forward

Oh, 10-forward is definitely WAY too small to be the social center of a crew of over a thousand! What can it seat, 20 comfortabley?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2008, 01:02 PM   #3
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

In my 2005 interview with Mr. Probert, he suggested that the four large window-like details on the saucer underside -- the features referred to as "fixed-focus navigational deflectors" in the TNG Tech Manual -- might actually be a large lounge space. That would be cool.

The interview also points out with a diagram why Ten Forward as designed wouldn't really fit in the rim of the 1701-D's saucer.
Old October 13 2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

^^^ That's a great interview. It's a long page but I'm surprised how fast I could read through it.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Forbin wrote: View Post
Oh, 10-forward is definitely WAY too small to be the social center of a crew of over a thousand! What can it seat, 20 comfortabley?
Maybe there's more than one.
Old October 13 2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Timo
Admiral

The ship certainly has a number of lounges that the officers and crew like to visit: we see several during the first season. There may also be dozens of bars and restaurants. It's just that the one run by Guinan is the most popular one, both due to the most central location and to Guinan's skill with people.

The only thing unrealistic about the setup is when Picard arranges important diplomatic meetings in Ten Forward, when he could at least once in a while do so in the Sky Lounge or the Purple Nebula, or the Restaurant at the End of the Galaxy (on Deck 42, of course).

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2008, 05:44 PM   #7
Forbin
Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Maybe there's more than one.
There may be other lounges, but there's only one called Ten-Forward.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 12:37 AM   #8
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
The ship certainly has a number of lounges that the officers and crew like to visit: we see several during the first season. There may also be dozens of bars and restaurants. It's just that the one run by Guinan is the most popular one, both due to the most central location and to Guinan's skill with people.

The only thing unrealistic about the setup is when Picard arranges important diplomatic meetings in Ten Forward, when he could at least once in a while do so in the Sky Lounge or the Purple Nebula, or the Restaurant at the End of the Galaxy (on Deck 42, of course).

Timo Saloniemi
Well, it was the 10-Fwd set but for all we know it was another lounge along the rim of the saucer.

It always seemed to me that 10-Fwd was just one of many spots on the ship to hang out, it was just the most popular because of its location. Though, in "reality" it should've been larger. But it's a tv show with limited space for sets.

Those nice, dramatic, windows on the leading edge of the bridge "island" would've made for a really nice lounge.
Old October 14 2008, 12:47 AM   #9
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
^^^ That's a great interview. It's a long page but I'm surprised how fast I could read through it.
Thanks!
Old October 14 2008, 06:17 PM   #10
Finn
Vice Admiral

I don't know. The student lounge at my old college (tho I'm gonna return this spring semester but that's a whole other story) is about the same size and it serves 2000 students just fine, not to mention staff, faculty, alumni and visitors who go there sometimes.

Children aren't allowed so many parents may not go there very often since they would be stuck with their kids often, so they probably have family friendly lounges to go to. Plus they don't go there at the same time. Also, there are probably people who never go there.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 06:31 PM   #11
kissthestar
Captain

There may be other lounges, but there's only one called Ten-Forward.[/quote]
Well, there's also the 9-Backward.
kissthestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2008, 04:33 AM   #12
RoJoHen
Awesome

WereBeagle wrote: View Post
I don't know. The student lounge at my old college (tho I'm gonna return this spring semester but that's a whole other story) is about the same size and it serves 2000 students just fine, not to mention staff, faculty, alumni and visitors who go there sometimes.

Children aren't allowed so many parents may not go there very often since they would be stuck with their kids often, so they probably have family friendly lounges to go to. Plus they don't go there at the same time. Also, there are probably people who never go there.
All of this is true.

2000 people really isn't a lot for that size of a lounge. With their 3-shift rotation or whatever, you have to remember that 2/3 of the crew are working or sleeping. That only leaves 1/3 of the crew (what, 600-700 people) who are both awake and have free time. A bunch are probably hanging out in their quarters. Some are in the holodecks. Some are in the gym.

I think the size is pretty perfect, actually.
Old October 15 2008, 05:19 AM   #13
roguephoenix
Captain

yea always wondered that about the 10-forward, but i figured there were other rooms similar to it, much like you'll have the main hall of a bar and offshoots of rooms for more people.

still, the enterprised d is THE enterprise for me. even the e is not as appealing to me as the d is probably because i grew up with the d and means more.
roguephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2008, 07:40 AM   #14
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I never get tired of looking at Probert's designs. There's a real sense of adventure and of reality to them. I agree that Ten Forward is a great idea but the execution was bit lacking. It's too small and seems a little cramped, but they do different camera angles from time to time to try to make it seem more spacy.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2008, 10:01 AM   #15
ST-One
Vice Admiral

The other thing that really makes absolutely no sense at all about the 10-Forward-set were those 2 or 3 steps that devided the bar-section from the seating-area... stupid...
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote