TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 30 2008, 10:23 PM   #1
PhoenixIreland
Captain

Wesley..what if...

...they'd skipped the boy genius line totally, and shown him as a normal teenager 15-18 with a 24th century twist on a teenagers life and challenges of growing up, maybe he has a lot of dicipline problems or something but someone (Picard? Riker? Geordi?) spots poitential in him for starfleet and he saves the ship ONCE and it leades into the academy? he comes back after the academy as an officer maybe on ops under data or under Geordi?

Would his character not have developed much better this way than the annoying boy genius thing? he still could have been very smart but I think they went overboard with that, and then ruined him with the traveler stuff...they were on the right track I think with the academy flight accident story...then they ruined everything by turning him into an energy being...
PhoenixIreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Finngle Bells
Vice Admiral

Re: Wesley..what if...

Like a cross between Jake Sisko and Nog? Perhaps...
Finngle Bells is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 01:13 AM   #3
ladyheather69
Captain

Well, I agree that they went overboard with the boy genius thing. And I definitely did NOT like the whole Traveler thing either. Seemed too far fetched even for a Wesley story line.

But also don't know if him being a 'regular' kid wouldn't have been like other shows ya know? Nothing different about that type of story line.
Old October 1 2008, 02:18 AM   #4
PhoenixIreland
Captain

ladyheather69 wrote: View Post
Well, I agree that they went overboard with the boy genius thing. And I definitely did NOT like the whole Traveler thing either. Seemed too far fetched even for a Wesley story line.

But also don't know if him being a 'regular' kid wouldn't have been like other shows ya know? Nothing different about that type of story line.
I was thinking they could have explored diffrences in adolescence in the 24th century, they could have then developed him as a starfleet officer more putting more into the cadet story than the traveler story

The reason I think that would work out better is the only decent episode with him in it was when they were teating him as a normal human being, with flaws, making mistakes, and when they tried to make him a god it wasn't more interesting than him being a normal guy...it was annoying.

Essentially they could have done Nog before they did what they did with Nog.
Old October 1 2008, 02:19 PM   #5
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I like the way they handled Jake and Nog 100x better than Wesley.

The boy genius stuff was annoying and way overused. Plus half the first season he is a walking public service announcement with his all his goody two shoes comments.

Jake was a normal 24th century boy growing up with no mother. I like that he didn't follow in Dad's footsteps and eventually followed his own path. I like the Ben-Jake relationship a lot.

Nog was great too. A troublemaker who finally got determined and got his shit together and became an officer.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Vic Sixx
Commodore

Anything would have been better than saving the ship every so often and piloting the ship which always seem fairly idiot proof if just anybody could do it.

They treatmeant of Icheb on Voyager better than Wesley but Icheb was more of a background character.
Old October 1 2008, 07:36 PM   #7
PhoenixIreland
Captain

Yeh you had Jake having sex with 22 year olds when he was 15, Nog was stealing stuff left and right but Wesley...could outsmart people with years or decades of experience with no problem one day...yet be dumb enough to follow Nick Locarno the next..none of it made sense
Old October 3 2008, 06:48 AM   #8
WalkinMan
Commodore

If it was a 'normal' Wesley I think he'd have had less screentime. Quite a number of TNG subplots used the technobabble plot points which Wesley was a part of.
WalkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 05:57 AM   #9
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

I thought he would have been better if Wes was a new graduate from Starfleet Academy. He could still be the boy genius, top of his class, brianic Ensign proud to be assigned to Starfleet's Flag Ship. A young man ready to make his mark on Starfleet and the Federation, who finds out his mother is the CMO of his posting.

It could have made for some good story telling for both Crusher's. Beverly's acceptance of Wes being a young man who doesn't need her like he used to; and Wes learning to have a grown up and more mature relationship with his mother, and coming to accept that no matter how old he gets she will always be his mother and have a protective instinct towards him.

It could have shown that no matter how much things change, they always stay the same.
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 07:59 AM   #10
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

^ I think that's a hell of a good idea. Wes didn't really register of my radar when TNG first aired, and then over the years I've warmed to him. But I think that was as he got older and matured into a young man. I think this ^ idea would have been really very interesting to watch and could still have worked even after Gates was away in Season 2.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 04:34 PM   #11
PhoenixIreland
Captain

Good idea Vanyel

That would have allowed him to be a normal young guy, but smart, and explore a starfleet cadet more.
Old October 7 2008, 05:06 PM   #12
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Wesley should have died in the first episode.
Old October 7 2008, 11:43 PM   #13
Lt_Wandrey
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to Lt_Wandrey

I agree, if they made Wesley more of your every day type teenager things would've gone over much better. The whole boy-genius thing was over done and became annoying.

TNG came out when I was a little kid and Wesley annoyed me even at that young age.
Old October 8 2008, 08:02 PM   #14
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I thought he would have been better if Wes was a new graduate from Starfleet Academy. He could still be the boy genius, top of his class, brianic Ensign proud to be assigned to Starfleet's Flag Ship. A young man ready to make his mark on Starfleet and the Federation, who finds out his mother is the CMO of his posting.
I love it!

I can imagine a wacky, goofy trailer with the late movie trailer guy...

One man, in a galaxy filled with wonder, is about to set out on the adventure of a lifetime. There's just one problem...his mother!

Paramount pictures presents...The Crushers! Coming soon on VHS and Betamax.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 09:11 PM   #15
PhoenixIreland
Captain

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
I love it!

I can imagine a wacky, goofy trailer with the late movie trailer guy...

One man, in a galaxy filled with wonder, is about to set out on the adventure of a lifetime. There's just one problem...his mother!

Paramount pictures presents...The Crushers! Coming soon on VHS and Betamax.
and at the end of the movie it turns out...they were warewolves...from the future...and.....they were already dead...