Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old October 12 2008, 03:43 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Rossi On Remastered 'Star Trek'

Working on Remastered Star Trek meant that Dave Rossi and the team had to make tough decisions on what could be changed and what could not.

As reported by The Zero Room, one of the proposed changes Rossi wanted to make was for the Where No Man Has Gone Before episode of the original series. Rossi was working with both Mike Okuda and Denise Okuda and he proposed that the middle initial "R" on the tombstone of "James R. Kirk" be changed to a "T" for "Tiberius." "You've got to change it," said Rossi. "Absolutely not," said Denise Okuda. They argued about it for a bit, but in the end, "the effects company couldn't roto that number of shots in the time we had," explained Rossi, "so we had to leave it."

Fan reaction to the project changed over time. At first, some fans were unhappy because changes were going to be made to a show that they loved and had been around for years. But Rossi and the Okudas cared about their work and wanted to keep Star Trek about the crew, not the special effects. "Our whole credo when we started this was that we never want to make the viewer forget that the crew is in danger," said Rossi. "We never want them to forget that Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock are going through some kind of s--t right now and our feeling was, if you do, if you have the Enterprise do a barrel roll, and all this stuff, then it becomes about the effects, and we wanted to avoid that."

But over time, some fans thought that more changes should have been done. "But some fans said, 'You got to go further.' They had been against it [the changes]."

The team was aware of fan reaction to the project. "One of the mistakes we made early on was going to these fan websites," said Rossi. "If you really want to be depressed... Those first couple episodes came out and we had created fake names so that we could interact with people. We were on these boards all the time...but after a while, you realize that it's the same twenty people posting. And it became funny to us after a while because it was like you still hate the show but you're still watching, that's good, keep tuning in. You can't blame a lot of people, they have a vision of how they want to see it done."

Rossi was asked if Star Trek: The Next Generation would be remastered. "The problem with doing Next Gen...is all the effects were done on video," he said. "That becomes an eight year project and the money required to do it would be really, really crazy."

The full podcast with this interview, which runs two hours in length and includes comments on Star Trek XI, is available here. One of the hosts of The Zero Room is Doug Mirabello, who was a production associate on Star Trek: Enterprise.

Old October 12 2008, 03:47 PM   #2
billcosby
Commodore

Re: Rossi On Remastered 'Star Trek'

Rossi was asked if Star Trek: The Next Generation would be remastered. "The problem with doing Next Gen...is all the effects were done on video," he said. "That becomes an eight year project and the money required to do it would be really, really crazy."

DAMMIT~!

That was the one I was really hoping for, the ENT-D looks so nice in CGI, from Generations and These Are The Voyages.

Old October 12 2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

billcosby wrote: View Post
That was the one I was really hoping for, the ENT-D looks so nice in CGI, from Generations and These Are The Voyages.
Really? I admit it looks adequate, but I much prefer the large physical model. The 1st season could do with some SFX remastering. But later episodes like The Nth Degree and Conundrum really show off how TNG's model work improved during its run.

- Bertrand Russell
Old October 12 2008, 08:49 PM   #4
T'Cal
Commodore

Quote: The team was aware of fan reaction to the project. "One of the mistakes we made early on was going to these fan websites," said Rossi. "If you really want to be depressed... Those first couple episodes came out and we had created fake names so that we could interact with people. We were on these boards all the time...but after a while, you realize that it's the same twenty people posting. And it became funny to us after a while because it was like you still hate the show but you're still watching, that's good, keep tuning in. You can't blame a lot of people, they have a vision of how they want to see it done."

I'll be we could name all twenty because they're all here!
I thoroughly enjoyed TOS-R and if I hadn't already bought TOS on DVD a while ago, I would've bought TOS-R. I probably will buy it in some HD format in the future.
Old October 12 2008, 09:05 PM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

billcosby wrote: View Post

DAMMIT~!

He didn't say it was impossible, or that they would flat-out never do it. Just that it'd take a lot of time and money. Anything's possible...don't lose heart.
Old October 12 2008, 09:28 PM   #6
ancient
Vice Admiral

If the technology improves they'll find a way to do it cheaper, I'm sure. Though I don't really care about TNG-remastered. Only if they added some cool new CGI END-D interiors. I don't know how they'd do that exactly, but I would like to see some of the more exotic locations. SB-1, the larger holodecks, the big labs, the big lounges, all the stuff they couldn't do on a TV budget in the early 90's.
Old October 12 2008, 10:34 PM   #7
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

T'Cal wrote: View Post
Quote: The team was aware of fan reaction to the project. "One of the mistakes we made early on was going to these fan websites," said Rossi. "If you really want to be depressed... Those first couple episodes came out and we had created fake names so that we could interact with people. We were on these boards all the time...but after a while, you realize that it's the same twenty people posting. And it became funny to us after a while because it was like you still hate the show but you're still watching, that's good, keep tuning in. You can't blame a lot of people, they have a vision of how they want to see it done."

I'll be[t] we could name all twenty because they're all here!
I'll bet they were all Santaman.
Old October 13 2008, 12:42 AM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

ancient wrote: View Post
If the technology improves they'll find a way to do it cheaper, I'm sure. Though I don't really care about TNG-remastered. Only if they added some cool new CGI END-D interiors. I don't know how they'd do that exactly, but I would like to see some of the more exotic locations. SB-1, the larger holodecks, the big labs, the big lounges, all the stuff they couldn't do on a TV budget in the early 90's.
I'm fine with TNG's effects pretty much as they are. If they do a TNG-R, all I would really ask is that they get rid of the overused stock footage, such as the same matte paintings showing up as all those different planetary backgrounds, and the stock footage of an Excelsior-class ship every time another vessel is shown with the Enterprise.

I admit I'd also like to see what the main shuttlebay (which we never saw) looks like.
Old October 13 2008, 07:56 PM   #9
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
ancient wrote: View Post
I'm fine with TNG's effects pretty much as they are. If they do a TNG-R, all I would really ask is that they get rid of the overused stock footage, such as the same matte paintings showing up as all those different planetary backgrounds, and the stock footage of an Excelsior-class ship every time another vessel is shown with the Enterprise.

I admit I'd also like to see what the main shuttlebay (which we never saw) looks like.
Problem is a lot of those ships that showed up as Excelsior-class ships are now set in canon as Excelsior-class. Even though it makes no sense for Excelsior-class ships to be at Wolf 359 or be Admiral Hanson's flagship. Other than that, though, I totally agree.

You don't even have to invent new classes of ship. Just use more contemporary ones, such as Nebula-class or, um, those other TNG era ships lol. And I'd love to see the Ambassador look more like it's painting.