Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade this episode 1x03 "Fata Morgana"
Excellent 1 3.70%
Above Average 6 22.22%
Average 14 51.85%
Below Average 5 18.52%
Poor 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 11 2008, 10:54 PM   #16
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Re: Sanctuary 1x03 - "Fata Morgana" - Grading & Discussion

This episode was not nearly as compelling as the pilot. I'll stick with it for a few more episodes, though.

I know the premise is all "dark, foreboding, gothic" etc., but I could do with some more light on these sets.
Old October 12 2008, 04:08 AM   #17
JD
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
It was a nice touch that Our Heroes not only couldn't succeed in protecting the sisters but couldn't even be certain that they were reformed.
You know, that was probably one of the best things about the episode. I was really shocked that they actually let the sisters go back with the cabal.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 02:25 PM   #18
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

Hurt-imer Jitty wrote: View Post
I always try to give a show 5 episodes to draw me in before deciding I don't like it, but I have a feeling things won't get much better. The premise has potential, but it's all just sorta... meh.
5 shows... if u want to see the first 5 episodes watch the webisodes already produced... I'm waiting for them to get past what they have already produced.... different actors of course... same dialog...
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 06:06 PM   #19
Michael_One
Lieutenant Commander

I had a few thoughts on this ep...

Yes, the greenscreen isn't all that impressive, when the foreground and background are so different in texture and color it screams out "It's a FAAAAAAKE!"

If I were going to break into a crypt guarded by monsters, I've have more than pistols with me, I'd have a gun that's small, carries fifty armor piercing rounds, and reloads fast. Like the P-90 all us Stargate fans are familiar with.

Dr. Magnus describes the green liquid as 'cryogenic', oh dear. That means it's cold, hundreds of degrees below zero. The three ladies were asleep, not frozen!

The women remember the villiage priest dying of the plague, and so Doc Magnus thinks they're from the year 800... I'm not an expert on Scottish history but didn't the Black Death hit Scotland about 1340 or so?

Gee Doc, you've been at this for over a century, there are other groups that exploit these beings out there, and you are just now finding this out??!! That being said, the Cabal is a great enemy to have... ruthless, fast, and, oh yeah, they know where you live and you only know about one of thier hangouts...

I found a neat timesaver for watching this show on the DVR: just fast forward through all the scenes that don't have Dr Jackson in them ( yeah, I know it's "Dr Zimmerman" but really, isn't this just an alternate history where Daniel Jackson went to medical school instead, and he's changed his name 'cause of all the scorn and ridicule he got as 'Jackson' ? )

Maybe I'll disc this show along with SG:A but when Atlantis ends I don't think there will be any compelling reason to continue recording; "Sanctuary" has to get better... I'm guessing Amanda Tapping is a great actress, but a so-so producer.

I liked "The Dresden Files" a lot, it was a good supernatural mystery show, why not just bring Harry Dresden back? ( I know, contracts and lawyers and all that )
Michael_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 07:13 PM   #20
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

I've come to the conclusion that this entire series is just mashed potatoes. There's no taste, there's no point, and you have to add something to get anything out of it. That's what this is. The effects are laughable - at best. Amanda's accept, I'm sorry, I can't get past it. It's horrible, plain and simple. And she keeps going in and out of that horrible fake accent, going for entire sentences in her "normal" voice before slipping back into the accent. And nobody catches it? Okey dokey then.

As my Cybermen friends would say, "Delete".
Old October 13 2008, 07:12 AM   #21
the_wildcard
Rear Admiral

Hmm judging from the responses, I think I may have to pass on this show, lol.
the_wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2008, 04:39 AM   #22
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I'm not sure what the hate is about. I mean, it's not the best thing ever, but I've seen plenty worse.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2008, 01:23 PM   #23
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^At a guess, heroes who don't torture and kill are politically incorrect for Bush's America.

PS Folding Man was pretty decent. Skyscrapers in ruins too! "Clipped his wings!" "Knows when you switched from boxers to briefs.!"
Old October 18 2008, 06:24 PM   #24
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Okay, this was last week's episode, correct? Based on the title, I'm guessing this is a reworked version of the second webisode storyline? Do we finally find out how it ends?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2008, 10:49 PM   #25
Michael_One
Lieutenant Commander

Oh yes, last night's ep was much better, it did feel a lot like X-Files with the guys who can fit through small spaces but don't eat your liver...

The show almost feels like a good role playing game where Drs Magnus and Zimmerman along with Ashley are the PCs. Henry would need more to do to make him a PC.

The greenscreen wasn't as obvious this time around, Ashley meets the Crime Boss looked pretty good. The idea many of the abnormals end up in organized crime is disturbing but makes sense given the setting.
Michael_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2008, 11:45 PM   #26
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I felt the same way watching the "webisodes"; that this would make for a great GURPS setting.
Old October 18 2008, 11:54 PM   #27
Pingfah
Admiral

The principle cast are awful.

Amanda Tapping really can't act, this weeks guest star that guy from Regenesis, he put the weekly cast to shame. He was conspicuously better than any of the 3 leads.
Old October 19 2008, 01:07 AM   #28
Velocity
Commodore

Not bad. I think it could use a little larger cast.

I don't care about the technical stuff, I've watched Dr. Who for years.
Velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2008, 01:39 AM   #29
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Pinghead wrote: View Post

Amanda Tapping really can't act, this weeks guest star that guy from Regenesis, he put the weekly cast to shame. He was conspicuously better than any of the 3 leads.
Amanda is definitely the weak link. The other two don't bother me much.... esp. that extremely hot blond chick. I don't even care whether or not she can act.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2008, 03:37 AM   #30
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
Pinghead wrote: View Post

Amanda is definitely the weak link. The other two don't bother me much.... esp. that extremely hot blond chick. I don't even care whether or not she can act.
I think that Tapping's main problem is the horrendous accent that fades out at the end of every long sentence she speaks. What's more, there doesn't really have to be a british (?) accent for the character--I was hoping that they would lose this for the television series, or give her a vocal coach.