Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 8 2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Bones - anybody still watching? (SPOILERS thru 4x05)

My best friend has been telling me for months (years?) how good Bones is and that I would like it. So I finally started watching on Hulu, and I really like the show. I've watched probably half of Season 1 so far.

And then I started watching Season 4. Clearly, I missed a wham-bang of an end to the third season. So, I thought I'd check out the episode threads, to see what long time fans were saying about this season. But there haven't been any Bones threads this year. The last one was for the Season 3 finale. And the overall consensus was plain - fans were NOT happy.

So, are you still watching? What do you think of what they've done with this season so far? Having just begun watching myself, I'm not as emotionally invested as some, and even I'm ticked that Hodgins & Angela broke up for no reason. I'm holding judgment on Zach, because while I love the character, I didn't see what happened in Season 3 to get him to this point. And his reveal at the end of 4x04 - opinions?
Old October 8 2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Re: Bones - anybody still watching? (SPOILERS thru 4x05)

I am. I was pretty disappointed with the end of season three because of that "twist", but that last episode he was in went a long way toward rebuilding the character in my mind. I never stopped enjoying the show, however, it was just that I liked him as a character and the revolving guest stars brought in to replace him wasn't doing it for me.
Old October 8 2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I felt like the writers were trying to make a point with those guest stars - that no one could replace Zach - with the intent of eventually redeeming Zach and bringing him back to the lab. But I don't know just what extent Zach's crimes covered, and the more that I find out, the more I wonder if his restoration is possible.
Old October 8 2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Baerbel Haddrell
Commodore

After the appearance of Zach in the new season I feel much better about the twist at the end of season 3 and am very curious how this story will develop. It wouldn`t surprise me at all if he comes back.

I think his restoration is just a matter of time. After the story around Bones relatives, compared to that freeing Zach should really not be a problem.

I find the revolving door he left behind very amusing. As people say, you don`t need to be crazy to work there but it helps .
Old October 9 2008, 12:42 AM   #5
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

If Zach is allowed in the building that would be a shark jumping another shark in a pool with a fridge as a nuke goes off in the backround.

I hated the ending mainly because the writers didn't do it for any other reason that to do it. Plus it was rushed because the writers wanted to end it in a season. I would have loved the the storyline to continue for a few seasons. Now what is the other arcing mystery? There is none.

I have liked this season fine through, but that might be because nothing else is on.
Old October 9 2008, 03:46 AM   #6
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

There Sacreepy Doll wrote: View Post
I felt like the writers were trying to make a point with those guest stars - that no one could replace Zach - with the intent of eventually redeeming Zach and bringing him back to the lab.
That's what I figured, I'm just not too keen on the execution. There doesn't seem to be clear reason for why there's a new one every time - a couple of them seemed to do well enough to stay on, but they're gone without explanation at the start of the next episode.
Old October 9 2008, 06:45 AM   #7
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

JERK POST:

I've never seen the show...but I thnk it's because the main actress looks so very frightening to me. Did the name the show after her scary skull-y head?

I'm sorry.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2008, 10:06 AM   #8
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I'm still watching (though on delay, because I watch Pushing Daisies, so I have to wait for the tape from my sister). I wasn't too crazy about the twist with Zack, but I can live with it. One problem was that it was too rushed because of the Writer's Strike and Gorgonzola's demise was anti-climactic; they should have extended it into this season. I do like how they're following up on it, though, especially Hodgins reaction.

The revolving door assistants are funny; I think the writers are having a blast with bringing in these various odd characters. Zack's revelation to Sweets was certainly interesting-- I'm curious where they're going to go with that, but I don't know if the character can really be completely redeemed.

One problem I do have with the show is of its portrayal of intellectuals as emotionally crippled social misfits; but that's a problem with mainstream entertainment in general.
Old October 9 2008, 10:23 AM   #9
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

^I agree, that's my main problem with it too, considering Kathy Reichs Tempe is nothing like that, at least in the one book I've tried reading.

I didn't mind it at all, in fact I kinda liked it. Although I do wonder why they've written Zack out twice now. First with the Iraq story, now this. I guess the Iraq story could have been to make him feel weak and seperate from others, so this story could work.
Good to know he's King of the Loony-bin now though.
Old October 9 2008, 08:28 PM   #10
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Funny, I was just going to start a thread about Zack. I haven't seen S3 yet, but I know what winds up happening to him. I was curious if anyone knew what the deal was? Did the actor want to leave? Did the writers want to carry the character through a larger story arc? I'm about done with S2 and so far the behavior seems out of left field for him. At least up the point I've seen he appears to be a social misfit, but one with an appreciation for right and wrong.
Old October 9 2008, 08:50 PM   #11
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Contrary to what the fans believe, the show has actually become more popular since late season three; its ratings are up and the critics love it. I, however, am disappointed in the spoilers concerning Booth's brother. I'd like for Booth and Bones to get together already and I think a lot of people agree with me. So yeah, I'm still watching, but it's not a perfect show.
Old October 9 2008, 09:57 PM   #12
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I'm cranky because I just watched 3x14 with crazy stalker lady and Hulu doesn't have 3x15 up. Or rather, it's in their HD gallery, which my connection is not fast enough to allow me to watch.

*pouts* I really want to see what happened next.
Old October 9 2008, 11:54 PM   #13
Worf2DS9
Writer

^ That cliffhanger was great, and the lead-up to it was fun.

I'm still watching and enjoying the show. I was late coming to the show, having gotten on the Bones bandwagon during Season 3. I bought the box set of S1, which was great, saw the early S3 episodes I missed, and so far so good with S4. I too am interested to see how the Zack story will pan out with regards to revelation he dropped on Sweets. And I'm not even sure what happened with Angie & Hodgins.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 12:05 AM   #14
Jax
Admiral

anybody still watching you say...

Only 10 million
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 12:20 AM   #15
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Trubinator wrote: View Post
I'd like for Booth and Bones to get together already and I think a lot of people agree with me. So yeah, I'm still watching, but it's not a perfect show.
Look, its eventually going to go that way, but its too early.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote