A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate the episode
Most excellent...the Force was with this one. 12 30.77%
Pretty good. 17 43.59%
Average...about the level of a Battle Droid's IQs 6 15.38%
Below average 1 2.56%
Terrible....lower than Bantha poodoo. 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 11 2008, 02:23 AM   #1
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile
Clone Wars 1x03 "Shadow of Malevolence" Grading Thread *SPOLIERS*

Following up on last week's Episode 2, Anakin and Plo Koon lead a retaliation strike with Y-Wing bombers against Gen. Grievance's ion cannon cruiser The Malevolence.

Me personally, I thought this episode was awesome. Brought back memories of the greatest space battles of the films.

Apparently, episodes 2, 3, and 4 form a "Malevolence Trilogy". Next week's episode concludes this story.

Last edited by Johnny Rico; October 11 2008 at 02:33 AM.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 02:47 AM   #2
Basill
Captain

Re: Clone Wars 1x03 "Shadow of Malevolence" Grading Thread *SPOLIERS*

I hate Comcast. Their schedule line up showed that the first half hour was a repeat of last week's 1st Malevolence story, and the 2nd half hour would be the new episode. Figured I'd watch Atlantis and tape Clone Wars. I went to set up the VCR to tape it at a quarter after the hour and saw that the new episode was already half over. Guess I'll have to wait until Sunday... if Cartoon Network plans on encoring it.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 03:16 AM   #3
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Fun episode. Best SW space battle in decades. What's not to love?
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 03:30 AM   #4
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

ooooh, really good, the preview looks good, too
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 03:54 AM   #5
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

Not much else to say that hasn't been said but a great space battle (nice to see some proto-Y Wings), some good dialogue, and a good story. I didn't realize that there was going to be a 3-part story and definitely look forward to next week's conclusion. I STILL continue to wish that this had been a post-ROTJ series but I AM glad that they are focusing on some different characters and storylines that they didn't do with the Clone Wars microseries. Also, the character designs are cool. Did anybody notice how all of the fighting Jedi Generals wear that cool battle armor with their robes?

*Does anybody know if the series will, like the microseries, lead into ROTS and if so, what will be their point of reference? The Star Wars New Essential Chronology basically incorporates both the events outlined in the microseries, as well as the events outlined in James Luceno's "Labyrinth of Evil" which had Anakin and Obi-Wan chasing down Dooku on a desolate planet (it would be interesting to find out how Dooku got back to the Invisible Hand in the midst of a pitched battle).
JediKnightButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 04:28 AM   #6
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Eh... I'd say it was the weakest one so far. Very little happened, and too many "cute" OT references. I wonder if we'll be seeing anything other than battles on this series... not that I was a fan of the PT politics stuff, but at least it was different and new. It'd be much better to explore stuff like podracing in a series like this than in an actual Episode.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 04:32 AM   #7
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Admiral, there be space whales here!

Obi Wan still looks to much like a ventriloquist's dummy.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 04:37 AM   #8
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile

gaith1 wrote: View Post
Eh... I'd say it was the weakest one so far. Very little happened, and too many "cute" OT references. I wonder if we'll be seeing anything other than battles on this series... not that I was a fan of the PT politics stuff, but at least it was different and new. It'd be much better to explore stuff like podracing in a series like this than in an actual Episode.
Umm, just to clarify...it's called The Clone WARS for a reason.

I mean, here at last in a whole franchise that's called Star WARS, that we finally get a series that actually deals with a WAR. Of course, there's gonna be tons of battles. That's what a war is...a series of battles.

And very little happened??? Yeah...OK...and very little happened during the Battle of Endor either.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 04:48 AM   #9
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Good episode this week. Not quite as good as last week's but this one was very much in the vain of ANH with all the various dogfight expression. Some gorgeous CGI too, especially the shot of the Malevolence in hyperspace. The clone medical facility was cool too and it had some nice humor like Dooku reprimanding Grievous about the droids and Grievous wanting the escape pods destroyed to maintain his reputation. Great space battle too.

Looking forward to next week's episode with Padme getting into the mix.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

You know they had sooo many OT 'homage lines'; given that the characters look like Gerry Anderson marionettes, where was "Thunderbirds are GO!"?
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 09:14 AM   #11
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

This was the first episode of the animated series that I'd seen so far. It was almost unwatchable. The alien apprentice girl, Ashokka, was whiny and annoying (Anakin must've rubbed off on her). Full of cliché lines: "Roger, Roger!" "I have a bad feeling about this!" Thank God I didn't watch the movie version.
Old October 11 2008, 02:40 PM   #12
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Glad to see I am not the only one who finds Tiger Lilly unwatchable.

I just find the character design to be ridiculous.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 02:47 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

I like Ahsoka, although I'm a bit annoyed with her "Artooie" nickname for R2D2. I mean, "Artoo" is already a nickname -- you don't need to make it even more diminutive.

My favorite part was the school of manta creatures in the nebula. That was just gorgeous. Totally unconnected to reality, but SW has always been pure fantasy. This is the sort of thing I want to see in a show like this -- not more tedious scenes of hunks of metal shooting blips of light at each other, but the creation of exotic and spectacular vistas, imaginative alien realms.

I also liked the design of the medical station, with the ships docking "vertically," their gravity vector perpendicular to that of the station as a whole. You so rarely see SF shows/films that think 3-dimensionally like that. (We won't get into the idiocy of the scene in the opening battle of Episode III where everyone inside the ship fell over when it tilted sideways, as if there were a single gravity vector in space.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 04:42 PM   #14
Mr Light
Admiral

^^
The artificial gravity was on the fritz, changing the "down" of the field, as I recall.

Another enjoyable episode. Nice space battle. Space whales were cool.

One thing threw me though; I thought Kaminoans were intensely isolationist and refused to leave their planet, so it was odd to see one in the medical center. In the LOTF books when Fett tracked down the one Kaminoan wasn't it supposed to be a big deal that s/he was off-planet?

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 04:53 PM   #15
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Basill wrote: View Post
I hate Comcast. Their schedule line up showed that the first half hour was a repeat of last week's 1st Malevolence story, and the 2nd half hour would be the new episode. Figured I'd watch Atlantis and tape Clone Wars. I went to set up the VCR to tape it at a quarter after the hour and saw that the new episode was already half over. Guess I'll have to wait until Sunday... if Cartoon Network plans on encoring it.
My Comcast DVR showed it right but they showed the repeat at 8:30PM EST and the new episode at 9:00PM EST right when the new Atlantis aired. The week before they showed both parts starting at 9PM which may be where the confusion was.

Tulin wrote: View Post
Glad to see I am not the only one who finds Tiger Lilly unwatchable.

I just find the character design to be ridiculous.
I'm not crazy about the character design either.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote