Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old October 13 2008, 05:04 PM   #1
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

girls oon boy's sports teams in HS: wrestling, football..what say you?

Hey..
For the past few years, girls have been appearing more and more on boys sports teams.

Here's a football player who is treated equally
http://www.homernews.com/stories/100..._15_001l.shtml

And wrestling is even more popular with girls.

So what do you all think?
Old October 13 2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: girls oon boy's sports teams in HS: wrestling, football..what say

I'm a strong supporter of Arsenal Ladies (quite simply the best women's football team in the country, possibly Europe) but even they would admit that if any of them played competitive football they would get hurt badly. So, I'm against it.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2008, 07:07 PM   #3
JuanBolio
Admiral

As long as they can compete and accept the risks, I see no reason not to allow it.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Hermiod
Admiral

^Football is a contact sport, it's not a matter of being able to compete or accept risks, it's a matter of getting badly hurt.

As far as football goes, however, the question is moot as women's football is so far behind the men's game (especially goalkeeping).
Old October 13 2008, 07:24 PM   #5
smeos
Fleet Captain

I'm a bigot in cases like these. I don't see why we have to have girls and boys on the same team (unless there simply aren't enough kids to make both). In a lot of instances, girls and boys play different versions of the same sport.

Keep 'em separate.
Old October 13 2008, 07:55 PM   #6
Smiley
Rear Admiral

If there's a chance that a girl playing a sport against boys is going to get more seriously injured than the average boy playing the sport, then that is a good reason to keep the teams separate. For cases where that is not an issue, I see no reason why a girl should not be allowed to compete against boys if she makes the cut.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Hermiod
Admiral

Smiley wrote: View Post
If there's a chance that a girl playing a sport against boys is going to get more seriously injured than the average boy playing the sport, then that is a good reason to keep the teams separate. For cases where that is not an issue, I see no reason why a girl should not be allowed to compete against boys if she makes the cut.
It depends on the sport, of course, there's no reason why women can't play snooker against men but something like Rugby? Bad idea.
Old October 13 2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Cicero
Admiral

Re: girls on boy's sports teams in HS: wrestling, football..what say

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^Football is a contact sport, it's not a matter of being able to compete or accept risks, it's a matter of getting badly hurt.

As far as football goes, however, the question is moot as women's football is so far behind the men's game (especially goalkeeping).
A female friend of mine in high school was one of the best players on her HS gridiron football team. She was over 6', notably muscular, and weighed more than 250 lbs, so it was very easy for her to dominate the opposing players. Being female didn't seem to carry a great deal of additional risk for her.
Old October 14 2008, 02:32 AM   #9
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

I'm all for co-ed wrestling teams. I would have paid money in high school to have co-ed wrestling teams.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 03:52 AM   #10
JuanBolio
Admiral

Depends on the girl. The female body is not inherently more injury-prone than the male, and I've known females who are tougher and stronger than some males. If they want to try, let 'em try. Their body, their risk.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 04:10 AM   #11
nevermore
Admiral

As long as everyone is held to the same try-out standards, then what's the problem. As far as "they might get hurt" goes, girls are no more prone to injury then boys, and especially at the JV level (9th & 10th grade) the size difference is often negligible. The concept that girls should play a more 'genteel' version of sports is mired in the same 18th-century mind-set that women shouldn't run because their uteruses would fall out.

And Soccer is most certainly not a full contact sport. Those pussies fall down and cry if someone sneezes at them. JV girls Lacrosse is more violent, and you aren't even allowed to body check (which is why some girls prefer the boy's game or just cheat a lot).
Old October 14 2008, 04:30 AM   #12
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Honestly, I like the idea of keeping things separate (a separate girls wrestling league). I mean, no one would consider the idea of letting a boy try out on a girl's team, so why's the other way always brought up? That being said, my highschool had a girl as a fieldgoal kicker the first year I was there. Assembling an entire girl's football team for many schools would be much harder, so that might not be as big a deal. Wrestling's a lot closer to something like track and field so, all they need to do is find a girl who is similar in weight to have them wrestle.
Old October 14 2008, 07:48 AM   #13
Hermiod
Admiral

nevermore wrote: View Post
And Soccer is most certainly not a full contact sport. Those pussies fall down and cry if someone sneezes at them. JV girls Lacrosse is more violent, and you aren't even allowed to body check (which is why some girls prefer the boy's game or just cheat a lot).
As someone who has told me in the past that you've never followed Football, I will accept that perhaps you are not aware of the serious injuries that occur on football pitches routinely. Don't be thrown by the stuff the Brazilians play, I'm talking about fast paced, attacking, passionate Premier League football.

This idea that football is full of divers and cheats is, frankly, a load of old bollocks. Sure, you get a few and they make headlines when they cheat, but those are a tiny fraction of the millions who play professionally.

Football is a full contact sport and there is no body armour to protect you save for a pair of shin pads. Ask Eduardo da Silva how something as simple as contact with an opposing player's studs can result in a double leg break and a broken ankle.

The Women's Premier League in England isn't a more "genteel" version of Football, it's nearly as tough, but as a proud fan of the best women's side in Europe, I know that none of them could cut it in men's professional football and they know that too. They are better off making women's football better, especially the comedic goalkeeping I see in the women's game.

Now, at high school ages there might not be much difference since girls mature physically earlier than boys but once you get to adult, professional level the differences are far more pronounced.
Old October 14 2008, 09:24 AM   #14
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Alidar Warlock wrote: View Post
Honestly, I like the idea of keeping things separate (a separate girls wrestling league). I mean, no one would consider the idea of letting a boy try out on a girl's team, so why's the other way always brought up? That being said, my highschool had a girl as a fieldgoal kicker the first year I was there. Assembling an entire girl's football team for many schools would be much harder, so that might not be as big a deal. Wrestling's a lot closer to something like track and field so, all they need to do is find a girl who is similar in weight to have them wrestle.
I have no problem with keeping things separate, but only if there are equal opportunities for both. Not necessarily the same, but an equal opportunity to play sports.

When I was in high school, girls could only play volleyball (fall), basketball (winter) or track (spring). Meanwhile, the guys could chose to go out for football (fall), basketball (winter), hockey (winter), track (spring), baseball (spring) or golf (spring). When we petitioned for more sports for gals, we were told that our school was too small to support such a thing. There was almost 300 kids (9th-12th grade): Not a lot, but if it was enough to support six boys team, why only three girls teams? In situations like that, I think gals have every right to try out- even if the reverse isn't allowed.

I did play for my high school boy's golf team my senoir year, but even though (a) it wasn't a contact sport and (b) I was better than just about everyone on the team, because I was a girl I was only allowed to play JV. It sucked, but I'd like to think that it helped pave the way- my high school now has a girl's golf team and a softball team.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 09:44 AM   #15
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I don't accept that explanation; do a woman's bones break more easily, can their sinews and muscles not withstand as much pressure? And even if the answer is yes - there are plenty of male football players who get injured all the time too, and noone would even think of prohibiting them from playing; if they are willing to take the risk, it's their business.

Women's football just isn't on the same level as men's yet, despite all their improvements, neither in tactics nor in skill or athleticism. And I'm saying that as someone who actually enjoys watching women's football. Even the Arsenal Ladies you mentioned would get destroyed by any English 3rd league team playing with full commitment.

Something that I thought was weird for a long time already though, was that women and men are kept seperate even in sporting events where gender doesn't make a difference as far as I can see; eg in the Olympics, the shooting and archery events or Curling. I'd love to see more sports integrate both genders in the same competitions.