Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 13 2008, 06:59 PM   #76
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: THE HAPPENING - Holy mother of Christ, it's unwatchable.

Twilight wrote: View Post
dragunzng wrote: View Post
That reminds me, thought the score was excellent as well, really well done.

Yeah - even though I hated the film I really dug the JNH score. Really, really nice.
The score was almost the same as Spider-Man 3.

Every time the breeze blew they played the exact same song like whenever Spidey 3 showed the Sandman.

Everything about that film was a waste.
Old October 13 2008, 08:19 PM   #77
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile

I personally love Shyamalan's films including this one as he has a unique style and means of creating his characters (they always have a sense of innocence about them that makes them endearing, to me anyways). The thematic material I also always find very thoughtful and relevant and I love his use of spirituality. I can understand why not everyone else shares this enjoyment however.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 02:42 AM   #78
indranee
Vice Admiral

Elemental wrote: View Post
I personally love Shyamalan's films including this one as he has a unique style and means of creating his characters (they always have a sense of innocence about them that makes them endearing, to me anyways). The thematic material I also always find very thoughtful and relevant and I love his use of spirituality. I can understand why not everyone else shares this enjoyment however.
I agree with you. I respect him, no matter what, for his refusal to play the Hollywierd/box office game. he makes his movies for himself. if we like them, fine. if not, fine as well.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 03:03 AM   #79
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Shamalyn (sp?) gave an embarassing interview with NPR's weekly science program (I forget the name), where he reveals how little he knows about science and how little he even understands the history of science. After hearing that, I was pretty sure what I would get out of The Happening. Which is why I haven't bothered yet.
Talk of the Nation Science Friday. It was an embarrassingly bad interview, and the show should have been ashamed to pander to even giving MNS airtime on a science show.
To be fair, listening to the interview, it's pretty clear the host is ashamed of having to interview M. Night. But, yeah, it's bad, and it goes a long way in explaining why the science of the film was so appalling.
I didn't realize I was watching a science movie.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 05:39 AM   #80
Harvey
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Talk of the Nation Science Friday. It was an embarrassingly bad interview, and the show should have been ashamed to pander to even giving MNS airtime on a science show.
To be fair, listening to the interview, it's pretty clear the host is ashamed of having to interview M. Night. But, yeah, it's bad, and it goes a long way in explaining why the science of the film was so appalling.
I didn't realize I was watching a science movie.
The main character's a science teacher. I'm not calling for 100% scientific veracity or anything, but the words that come out his mouth whenever he tells a "scientific" anecdote are pretty stupid throughout. Moreover, when the writer/director goes on a science show to pump up the scientific value of his film...it better have, well, some value. Which The Happening does not.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 02:47 PM   #81
exodus
Fleet Admiral

indranee wrote: View Post
I agree with you. I respect him, no matter what, for his refusal to play the Hollywierd/box office game. he makes his movies for himself. if we like them, fine. if not, fine as well.
That's not good enough because his financial backing and studio distrubution has to come from somewhere. Even writer, director & producer Woody Allen knows that much.
Old October 14 2008, 06:57 PM   #82
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I hated Signs which I thought I would have liked, and enjoyed Lady in the Water, though I am not a fan of the supernatural genre in general. So far only Shyamalan's first 2 movies are in the excellent category. The Happening continually contradicted itself, and it wasn't great by any stretch, but I could sense what he was trying to do and it didn't quite work.

RAMA
Old October 15 2008, 01:20 AM   #83
indranee
Vice Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
That's not good enough because his financial backing and studio distrubution has to come from somewhere. Even writer, director & producer Woody Allen knows that much.
I could see him doing indie stuff if Hollywierd dries up.

I still think he needs to "outsource" his scriptwriting and just direct. he's a much better director than a writer.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2008, 03:52 AM   #84
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I might see this movie, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

As for Shyamalan's other movies:

The Sixth Sense: Solid, good movie. I was surprised by the ending.

Unbreakable:
I liked it, but I really loved the ending.

Signs: Scared the heck out of me. I really enjoy this movie. I like movies where seemingly normal people in a seemingly normal location experience abnormal and paranormal events. I liked the approach to this movie as well and the atmosphere it created. Watched it at Midnight one night, with all of the lights off in the house. I highly recommend it watched this way.

The Village: I liked it. The ending was different and I thought it was a nice little twist, but nothing with *shock* *gasp* revelations. Still, I did enjoy it and loved the atmosphere in this movie, too. I didn't like how it stretched reality, though. You see, Signs made reality a bit quirky, but The Village had to forego it at one point. A movie that was supposed to be based in reality and extend in the imagination failed to do so. Still, an overall enjoyable movie.

Lady in the Water: Oh, this was a bad movie. I did not enjoy this movie at all.

J.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2008, 04:57 PM   #85
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I finally watched this last night.

My grade: B-

I really don't get all the hate. My grade is reflective enough that I can understand some criticisms of the film...some. However as far as there being a clear narrative to follow, for an M.Night film, it was an easily viewable movie. Especially in the 1.5hr time span.

I'd hardly call the performances wooden or dull. I'd say they were instructed to act stoic, confused and distant.

The population was confused about this event, the phenomenon, that was occuring with no explanation. Elliot and Alma clearly were distant cause of the fight(s) they had been having, hence the uneasiness about them on top of the situation unfolding about them. Add on confusion as to what to do, where to go and who is trustworthy and you get the performances the movie displays. Outside of anger, which some passerbys display, does no one else recall how you felt on 9/11? Who is doing this? Why are they doing this? Is my city safe? Are my loved ones safe? That is what I see as what M.Night was going for in his direction of Mark, Zooey and the cast.

The movie is clearly an eco-friendly message. Or rather wants the viewer to think about his/her environment and what impact man is having. If the viewer is also knowledgable enough to know that nature does indeed right itself from time to time it makes the events seem even more scary. Nature will over time make a Nuclear zone safe. It will in an instant erupt a volcano that changes the local ecology for decades. It will ignite fires with lightning clearing out brush while the fallout produces richer soil for new growth. A tsunami, tornado or hurricane will likewise scour the land like a wire brush.

So while it may seem far fetched and "sci-fi"ish that plants might release a chemical to neutralize man as the threat...why not? The only real big stretch is that the fauna is semi-sentient and able to coordinate an attack. M.Night keeps with the sudden start, sudden stop aspect of the other events listed above by keeping the event to a 24hr span.

I liked the movie better than The Village and it ranks just above Lady in the Water for me.

My M.Night ranking
  1. Sixth Sense
  2. Signs
  3. Unbreakable
  4. The Happening
  5. Lady in the Water
  6. The Village
It made money at the box office and his career isn't dead. I've never been able to say any of his movies truly sucked. Not when so much real crap out there exists.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 05:14 PM   #86
exodus
Fleet Admiral

I could see him doing indie stuff if Hollywierd dries up.

I still think he needs to "outsource" his scriptwriting and just direct. he's a much better director than a writer.
I agree.
Old October 22 2008, 05:21 PM   #87
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I finally watched this last night.

My grade: B-

I really don't get all the hate. My grade is reflective enough that I can understand some criticisms of the film...some. However as far as there being a clear narrative to follow, for an M.Night film, it was an easily viewable movie. Especially in the 1.5hr time span.

I'd hardly call the performances wooden or dull. I'd say they were instructed to act stoic, confused and distant.

The population was confused about this event, the phenomenon, that was occuring with no explanation. Elliot and Alma clearly were distant cause of the fight(s) they had been having, hence the uneasiness about them on top of the situation unfolding about them. Add on confusion as to what to do, where to go and who is trustworthy and you get the performances the movie displays. Outside of anger, which some passerbys display, does no one else recall how you felt on 9/11? Who is doing this? Why are they doing this? Is my city safe? Are my loved ones safe? That is what I see as what M.Night was going for in his direction of Mark, Zooey and the cast.

The movie is clearly an eco-friendly message. Or rather wants the viewer to think about his/her environment and what impact man is having. If the viewer is also knowledgable enough to know that nature does indeed right itself from time to time it makes the events seem even more scary. Nature will over time make a Nuclear zone safe. It will in an instant erupt a volcano that changes the local ecology for decades. It will ignite fires with lightning clearing out brush while the fallout produces richer soil for new growth. A tsunami, tornado or hurricane will likewise scour the land like a wire brush.

So while it may seem far fetched and "sci-fi"ish that plants might release a chemical to neutralize man as the threat...why not? The only real big stretch is that the fauna is semi-sentient and able to coordinate an attack. M.Night keeps with the sudden start, sudden stop aspect of the other events listed above by keeping the event to a 24hr span.

I liked the movie better than The Village and it ranks just above Lady in the Water for me.

My M.Night ranking
  1. Sixth Sense
  2. Signs
  3. Unbreakable
  4. The Happening
  5. Lady in the Water
  6. The Village
It made money at the box office and his career isn't dead. I've never been able to say any of his movies truly sucked. Not when so much real crap out there exists.
At the start Mark Walberg says: "We can speculate why certain events happen but in the end we may never know."

So along with that statement and no reasoning at the end, we aren't even sure if it was an eco-friendly message. All anyone in the film was doing was speculating, we don't know why it all happened or exactly what caused it.

Even after they speculated it might be the plants, why lead the entire group through an open field of green grass & trees? Even with all the events in nature you mentioned, none of them just happen for no reason or simply dissapate in thin air after it's done.
Old October 22 2008, 07:47 PM   #88
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

At the start Mark Walberg says: "We can speculate why certain events happen but in the end we may never know."

So along with that statement and no reasoning at the end, we aren't even sure if it was an eco-friendly message. All anyone in the film was doing was speculating, we don't know why it all happened or exactly what caused it.

Even after they speculated it might be the plants, why lead the entire group through an open field of green grass & trees? Even with all the events in nature you mentioned, none of them just happen for no reason or simply dissapate in thin air after it's done.
We as a species speculate on a great number of things.
Is global warming, this cycle(some say we've cooled but I digress), being impacted by man? Is the ozone hole really an issue or does it fluctuate naturally? Were the plants the villains or something else?

Speculation and a cavalcade of voices makes many think man is having an adverse impact on the planets climate. As a society we banned certain chemicals cause some science heads speculated they might be causing holes in the ozone. Elliot(Whalberg) and the talking heads on TV speculated plants might be the bad guy so that is the narrative path M.Night took us on.

What if for all our self percieved intelligence there are just things we can't grasp? What if Global Warming/Cooling and the Ozone are beyond our full understanding? Likewise we created a boogeyman out of nature in The Happening cause it was our perceptions that said, nature was the dominant constant. Parks. Fields.

As a species our great minds said the solar system revolved around the planet Earth. That the Earth was flat. That you could sail from Spain and end up in India without hitting land. There aren't any measurable units smaller than an atom. We could go on and on.

"...in the end we may never know", to use your Elliot statement, what M.Night is truly trying to convey. Eco-friendly or Eco-indifferent. Maybe its not even entirely an eco message at all. Maybe its something else entirely.
That is part of what I like about this and Lady in the Water. The viewer can take different messages from it and some viewers may not take away the same things. I don't like vagueness in all my movies but its why I enjoy M.Nights movies as a break from the cut and dry straight forwardness of nearly all other movies.

Some people are just not wired to enjoy this type of storytelling and hence the backlash I think.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 08:27 PM   #89
exodus
Fleet Admiral

We as a species speculate on a great number of things.
Is global warming, this cycle(some say we've cooled but I digress), being impacted by man? Is the ozone hole really an issue or does it fluctuate naturally? Were the plants the villains or something else?

Speculation and a cavalcade of voices makes many think man is having an adverse impact on the planets climate. As a society we banned certain chemicals cause some science heads speculated they might be causing holes in the ozone. Elliot(Whalberg) and the talking heads on TV speculated plants might be the bad guy so that is the narrative path M.Night took us on.

What if for all our self percieved intelligence there are just things we can't grasp? What if Global Warming/Cooling and the Ozone are beyond our full understanding? Likewise we created a boogeyman out of nature in The Happening cause it was our perceptions that said, nature was the dominant constant. Parks. Fields.

As a species our great minds said the solar system revolved around the planet Earth. That the Earth was flat. That you could sail from Spain and end up in India without hitting land. There aren't any measurable units smaller than an atom. We could go on and on.

"...in the end we may never know", to use your Elliot statement, what M.Night is truly trying to convey. Eco-friendly or Eco-indifferent. Maybe its not even entirely an eco message at all. Maybe its something else entirely.
That is part of what I like about this and Lady in the Water. The viewer can take different messages from it and some viewers may not take away the same things. I don't like vagueness in all my movies but its why I enjoy M.Nights movies as a break from the cut and dry straight forwardness of nearly all other movies.

Some people are just not wired to enjoy this type of storytelling and hence the backlash I think.
Yes, I think you're last sentence captures it all.

If people are going to pay $10 and over for a film, I think they in some way deserve to know the hows and whys of what they're watching or else they just paid a good amount of money for nothing. Which is what I feel is the type of story the Happening told us.

Why go out of his way to make such a violent & bloody story full of neurotic characters only to pull the rug out from under us at the end?

I was a firm supporter of M.Night thru all his other films dispite what others said. As a fan, this film left me feeling betrayed. I'm glad you can but there is no rational way for me to defend this film or even support it. Even his usual inspirational theme that ran thru "Sixth Sense", "Unbreakable", "Signs", The Village" & "LITW" of believing in yourself to create a better future was missing. The two main characters didn't give a damn about anyone but themselves.

As M. Night told us in "Lady..":"Mankind has forgotten how to listen." I think M.Night has forgotten how to listen to the audience he's trying to reach as well.
Old October 22 2008, 11:05 PM   #90
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

My feelings exactly.