Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 10 2008, 07:49 AM   #61
A Clockwork Lim
Lieutenant Commander

Re: THE HAPPENING - Holy mother of Christ, it's unwatchable.

Sixth Sense: Enjoyed it a great deal.
Unbreakable: Enjoyed it a great deal. The only one of his movies I can regularly watch repeatedly.
Signs: It was okay, but got dumb really quick as we learned more about the aliens. (Alien #1: "Hey, let's invade this planet that's 80% acid to us." Alien #2: "Great idea! And let's abduct the people there that are even more acidic to us!" Alien #1: "Flawless!" Alien #2: "Wait, why aren't we melting just from the humidity in the air?" Alien #1: "Shut up, Bob.")
The Village: Awful. The tension early on was fine, but the movie as a whole was just awful.
Lady In the Water: Enjoyed it except for MNS writing himself in as a Jesus figure. That pretty much ruined it for me. Otherwise, I was fine with the premise mostly because I'm a big fan of faerie lore.
The Happening: Ugh. Very little believable tension, no sympathy for anything going on, no real direction, and the revelation for what was going on beats out Signs in the Stupid department.

That's my take anyway.
A Clockwork Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 04:10 AM   #62
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I didn't think this was that bad myself. Few horror films make much "real world" sense, I don't this was any more far-fetched than any other horror movie. I figure you have to give a movie an "out" on its premise so you have to give The Ring its deadly videotape, you have to accept The Mist and Pulse on their own terms, Deja Vu its time-travel equipment and so on. Outside of that I didn't think it was too out there, sure the cell phones, TV's and electricity might be questionable but then I don't know how long they'd run without intervention and the movie only happened over a short timespan.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 05:44 AM   #63
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

I don't think Lady in the Water would have worked as well as it did for me if Shyamalan hadn't cast himself as the saviour in the story, think it would have lost a lot of its meaning.
Old October 12 2008, 06:44 AM   #64
Harvey
Admiral

So, against my better judgment, I joined some friends to watch this movie tonight. I think they were having more fun playing the happening drinking game with it.

What a mess. What a terrible, terrible mess. I can't say one good thing about this movie, save for the decent dramatic score that only served to make things more hilarious when the material couldn't live up to it--written, acted, directed, shot, or edited. So bad it's good territory. I can't believe this made it past the studio at any and every stage.

And don't get me started on the pseudoscience all over this movie. The religious nonsense in Signs was annoying enough, but this movie only confirms how little Shamalayn comprehends of the scientific world. Half the information characters espouse in the film is completely untrue--certifiably false--and the other half is just nonsense.

Moreover, cable news in America claims that the US government is responsible for the "happenings" and we're supposed to believe the government doesn't respond? That the news airs the story?

I wish stj would see this movie, because, for once, it's a movie I'd LOVE to see him go off on.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 08:23 AM   #65
Wicca who Wonta
Vice Admiral

I love all Shamalan's movies except for The Happening. I was thoroughly disappointed by it.
Wicca who Wonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 09:56 AM   #66
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

That reminds me, thought the score was excellent as well, really well done.
Old October 12 2008, 03:30 PM   #67
indranee
Vice Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post
MNS. I really enjoy his films. Like us, he loves genre material, and he brings a unique take to genre material, off the beaten path. IMO, this is a very welcome thing and should be encouraged in filmdom. I hate the same ol' same ol'.

Signs-LOVED it.

Unbreakable-IMO, his best film.

Signs-Very interesting, enjoyed it.

The Village-A mixed bag, but very old school, almost Twilight Zone. Good.

Lady In The Water-A deep (pun intended) urban fantasy on the power of myth, the imagination and the importance of storytellers. I agree. Liked it.

Haven't seen The Happening. Call me crazy, but I enjoy his stuff. Perhaps he should take a Lucas tip and colaborate more on his stuff, but I think he's a great idea man, and you can count on his films not being the same rehashed crap from Hollywood.
ITA with your take on the films and general idea. though I haven't seen LITW. I do think he needs to collaborate on his writing.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 03:33 PM   #68
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Moreover, cable news in America claims that the US government is responsible for the "happenings" and we're supposed to believe the government doesn't respond? That the news airs the story?
Wasn't that some guy being interviewed by the cable news station? Besides this is the same cable news that questions whether Obama and his wife shared a "terrorist fist jab".
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 09:36 PM   #69
Harvey
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Wasn't that some guy being interviewed by the cable news station? Besides this is the same cable news that questions whether Obama and his wife shared a "terrorist fist jab".
Nah, I'm referring to a news report in the mid-point of the film where a newscaster suggests an "anonymous source" has indicated that the US government is responsible for the attack. Not that the stupidity of the "expert" at the end of the film wasn't annoying, but I could at least buy that being aired on television.

Old October 13 2008, 02:24 AM   #70
Dar70
Rear Admiral

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
I've avoided his films like the plague since The Village. My God, THAT was an unwatchable piece of crap. I figured the twist out about half an hour into it, and for the next hour, I was praying I was wrong. Boy, was I pissed off when I left the theater.

It was a piece of crap indeed. I also figured it out the first half hour.Those secret boxes or "protecting the innocence" of the younger townsfolk comment was what should have tipped it off for many.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2008, 05:55 AM   #71
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Shamalyn (sp?) gave an embarassing interview with NPR's weekly science program (I forget the name), where he reveals how little he knows about science and how little he even understands the history of science. After hearing that, I was pretty sure what I would get out of The Happening. Which is why I haven't bothered yet.
Talk of the Nation Science Friday. It was an embarrassingly bad interview, and the show should have been ashamed to pander to even giving MNS airtime on a science show.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2008, 04:21 PM   #72
Lookingglassman
Admiral

I am so glad I never paid any money to see this film. I was going to get it on netflix, but I got better ways to spend 90 minutes of my life.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2008, 04:22 PM   #73
Harvey
Admiral

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Shamalyn (sp?) gave an embarassing interview with NPR's weekly science program (I forget the name), where he reveals how little he knows about science and how little he even understands the history of science. After hearing that, I was pretty sure what I would get out of The Happening. Which is why I haven't bothered yet.
Talk of the Nation Science Friday. It was an embarrassingly bad interview, and the show should have been ashamed to pander to even giving MNS airtime on a science show.
To be fair, listening to the interview, it's pretty clear the host is ashamed of having to interview M. Night. But, yeah, it's bad, and it goes a long way in explaining why the science of the film was so appalling.

Old October 13 2008, 06:39 PM   #74
Twilight
Vice Admiral

dragunzng wrote: View Post
That reminds me, thought the score was excellent as well, really well done.

Yeah - even though I hated the film I really dug the JNH score. Really, really nice.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2008, 06:51 PM   #75
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I have intentionally not read through the thread, nor did I participate in the Grading/Discussion thread when it came out(only because I didn't get to the movie).

As a general rule I have liked M.Night movies, yes even LITW I found enjoyable.
I just got the email from Netflix, its being shipped today. I will report back once I've seen it and then read the comment.

It was a modes hit at the box office for what its worth. So those wanting him to go away will have to wait it seems.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote