New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 8 2008, 05:55 PM   #46
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: THE HAPPENING - Holy mother of Christ, it's unwatchable.

stonester1 wrote: View Post

Signs-LOVED it.

Unbreakable-IMO, his best film.

Signs-Very interesting, enjoyed it.

The Village-A mixed bag, but very old school, almost Twilight Zone. Good.

Lady In The Water-A deep (pun intended) urban fantasy on the power of myth, the imagination and the importance of storytellers. I agree. Liked it.
I haven't seen The Happening either, but I agree with this assessment of his previous films. Unbreakable has stayed with me over the years much more than 6th sense. The Village was decent and didn't really need to have the 'twist' ending. The viewer could figure it out ten minutes into the film so it should have been revealed earlier in the film on screen, if not to the main characters. And Lady, while weak, was still well done.

I'm glad there are others here who like his films too. I think those who don't like them, are expecting something completely different than what Shyamalan is trying to create.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 08:43 PM   #47
ScatmanRescueMe
Lieutenant Commander

Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes his other stuff better than Sixth Sense--didn't enjoy it that much and would never watch it again.

Whatever happened to that young actor, anyway?

__________________________________________________ __________________

"Who is the man with the raspy voice and pockmarked face---SHAS"
"He's an ugly mother-fu......."
"Shut your mouth!"
"But I'm talkin' 'bout SHAS !"
" Yo' damn right !"
ScatmanRescueMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 09:03 PM   #48
zenophite
Rear Admiral

It just goes to show you that when it comes to "artistic" products there will never be a "consensus" which is why art criticism IMO is almost worthless - everyone has their own taste and one man's trash is another's treasure. Personally, with most of these Shyamalan films I just wonder what it is that people see in them, but if you get enjoyment out of them then great!
Old October 8 2008, 10:47 PM   #49
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

My view on his films:

-The Sixth Sense: Pretty good

-Unbreakable: Good

-Signs: Decent.

-The Village: Haven't seen the whole thing, but the parts I did see were bad.

-Lady in the Water: Had no interest in seeing it.

-The Happening: Not going to see it either.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 11:00 PM   #50
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Some people keep mentioning he's only had a couple of hits and mostly a bunch of "flops", but, if I'm not mistaken, haven't most of his movies actually made a bucket of money for his studios? You don't need to make $300 million at the box office to turn a profit if your movies only cost $60-70 million to make. That's not an indication of the quality of his work, but it should put to rest any silly questions about why he is still working.

He apparently makes people money. This is a common question asked about directors like Micheal Bay as well, when people hate him. They seem to think that their personal opinion about his work trumps the enormous financial gains he creates for a large number of people.

I think he's a decent director, from a technical POV. Being someone else's story and script, I'm not too worried about Avatar, as long as they stick closely to the series. And they'd fuckin' better!
Old October 8 2008, 11:54 PM   #51
zenophite
Rear Admiral

^ I think that shyamalan's films have been financially successful due more to the clever marketing of his films rather than on their own merits.
Old October 9 2008, 02:54 AM   #52
roguephoenix
Captain

i managed to see this through the end, but yea, the happening just wasn't... happening for me. >_<

i wonder how he'll destroy my much beloved "avatar: the last airbender". i'm sure he'll destroy it, no question about that. that's like having brett ratner make x-men. we all know how that steaming pile ended up. or like having woody allen direct and animated children's movie. just boggles the mind how some execs think. shamalamalama and avatar are one of the most mismatched pairings ever!
roguephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2008, 05:17 AM   #53
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The only wonder he is is the fact I wonder how he gets movies made at all considering all of them sucks, or were hugely overrated.
Old October 9 2008, 06:43 AM   #54
zenophite
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The only wonder he is is the fact I wonder how he gets movies made at all considering all of them sucks, or were hugely overrated.
well to be honest the suits don't really care about anything but the bottom line so as long as his pictures make enough money they'll keep giving him jobs. If the box office receipts are ever to actually reflect the quality of his films then it'll be time for Mr Shyamalan to go back to college and find a new line of work.
Old October 9 2008, 08:31 PM   #55
JuanBolio
Admiral

While I haven't seen The Happening yet, the only movie of Shyamalan's that I didn't care for at all was Lady in the Water. I'll give it a chance, for the violence and shock factor alone.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2008, 08:50 PM   #56
zenophite
Rear Admiral

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
for the violence and shock factor alone.
There is a smidge but not much.
Old October 9 2008, 09:52 PM   #57
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

Quite liked The Happening, although I don't think it was anywhere near as good as my favorite Shymalan movie, Lady in the Water (wonderfully magical). Oddly enough my least favorite Shymalan movie is The Sixth Sense! Sense was an extremely well made movie but I feel it lacked the imagination of most of his other stuff. Not too fond of The Village either, though it was beautiful.
Old October 10 2008, 01:45 AM   #58
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Here's my take:

-The Sixth Sense: Pretty good

-Unbreakable: Boring

-Signs: Good

-The Village: Boring

-Lady in the Water: Interesting but muddled

-The Happening: Actually enjoyed it but not as much as Signs or Sixth Sense

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 06:28 AM   #59
Barbados Slim
Rear Admiral

I liked Lady in the Water but I watched it on HBO when I was home sick.

The Happening is terrible. Terrible!

Wahlberg and Zooey were so miscast. But the plot had so many stupid things:

- Leguizamo leaves his daughter behind to go find his wife?

- A man shoots two teen boys through shuttered yet open windows he can clearly see out of because he thought they were terrorists who'd let the air into his open-windowed house.

- Thirty people stand around a woman talking to her daughter on a cell phone and no one asks her if the people at the girl's school is alive.

- No one knows what's causing the problem but the "experts" say it'll be over at 9:30am the next morning.

- Zooey and the girl wake up and go exploring the old lady's property.

- They decide to just walk outside?

- Zooey and Mark are happy to bring another child into a doomed world? And that's a happy ending?
Barbados Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 07:35 AM   #60
Meat Tenderizer

Twilight wrote: View Post
I just finished watching it - what an ordeal.

I knew it'd be bad going into it, given the reviews, but I rationalized my decision based on the fact that it's only 90 minutes long.

I immensely regret my decision.

I can't express in words how astonishingly stupid this film is. It's almost impossible to believe that the man who made the fantastic SIXTH SENSE made this mind-numbingly ridiculous movie.

If I missed the memo and Shyamalan actually intended this film to be a joke, it's not fucking funny.

I'm posting this thread in a Quixotic attempt at some sort of catharsis for the darkness and suffering I've experienced for the past ninety minutes.

And I'm also using this thread to warn my fellow TBBS friends - when this film arrives on DVD - do NOT give in to curiosity.
Unfortunately, I'm not your friend-so I must say I actually enjoyed this film. Just different tastes, I guess.