Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old June 19 2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Star Trek: Tactical Assault (DS Version)

I couldn't find out much about it online, but after seeing it on offer in town today I picked up a copy of Tactical Assault.

First impressions from the box artwork were "mobile Starfleet Command" and on playing it, it does indeed seem to be a reduced version of SFC for the DS. But, the game is much more stable and surprisingly the ships are of better detail and quality even on the small screens than the full SFC managed. The game opens with a typical cutscene movie but with a brand new voice over created especially for the game by William Shatner.

The game has two main campaigns, Federation (leading up to the Khitomer Accords) and a Klingon one set prior to TNG. The Klingon one has to be unlocked by completing the Federation one so I don't know much else at this point.

The Federation campaign is simply enough, a progression of simple(ish) missions set around a crew created for the game, each with their own quirks and assigned systems in game that they are "in charge" of. As the game goes on you can teach them skills, but in three areas if need be, so you have the ability to really customise your crew as you see fit over the course of the game.

Gameplay on the DS is optional, you can use the stylus or buttons at any point, whatever is most convenient. The controls are simple, and the ships move much faster than SFC and the weapon reloads are significantly faster, the Photons nearly always hit. There are only three control "sections", all on the touchscreen looking, sounding and acting very much like an actual TMP era LCARS panel which is cool in itself.

All easy to use and well rendered, meaning the game can be played quickly and easily. Missions only take a few minutes with the action taking place in the top screen, in game "hails" give them their storyline and consist of contacting starbases, installations and the odd planet, as well as other ships encountered. Unlike SFC the ships can go to Warp similar to Bridge Commander to jump to different systems, or more than likely based on Starfleet Academy as are the "choose response" option on hails.

More like SFC is the upgrade system for the crew and ships, which can only be unlocked by completing missions. There is also a Skirmish mode for quick battles and a "Starship Library" to view the classes of ship.

So its definitely surpassed by original expectations, and worth picking up if you have either a DS or PSP.
Old June 19 2008, 11:47 PM   #2
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

Re: Star Trek: Tactical Assault (DS Version)

I liked the look of the Orion and Gorn ships and the graphics overall when I was shown some screenshots of this game. Can you tell me if there is a major graphics difference between the PSP and DS versions? I'm a ship nut, so the graphic presentation is of some importance.
JNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Well as I stated in the title of the thread I only have the DS version, the game being on one screen on the PSP version I could see as being a problem.

The ships have a newish appearance for the DS, I just meant they seem smoother than the original PC version of SFC which had them far too blocky and sharp. So don't expect perfect recreations, games rarely do that anyway.

The alien ships are only encountered in combat, so you don't see them that close up.
Old June 20 2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Well as I stated in the title of the thread I only have the DS version, the game being on one screen on the PSP version I could see as being a problem.

The ships have a newish appearance for the DS, I just meant they seem smoother than the original PC version of SFC which had them far too blocky and sharp. So don't expect perfect recreations, games rarely do that anyway.

The alien ships are only encountered in combat, so you don't see them that close up.
DS?
Old June 20 2008, 07:23 PM   #5
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Nintendo DS? as in the games console thats been out for several years now?
Old June 20 2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

Nintendo DS? as in the games console thats been out for several years now?
Never heard of it...they hjave this game for PS2?
Old June 21 2008, 03:34 AM   #7
loldrey
Commander

Send a message via AIM to loldrey

Not on PS2, but they do have it for PSP..

When I worked at Gamestop, I was saving up for that game.. unfortunately I had to sell my DS before I got enough money...

NEVER WORK AT GAMESTOP BTW.

Anyways, if the game turns out to be as awesome as I'd hoped, let me know, it might be worth getting another DS.. even if I have to sell my soul..
Old June 21 2008, 04:27 AM   #8
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

JNG wrote: View Post
I liked the look of the Orion and Gorn ships and the graphics overall when I was shown some screenshots of this game. Can you tell me if there is a major graphics difference between the PSP and DS versions? I'm a ship nut, so the graphic presentation is of some importance.
I don't have either version, but the PSP is a much more powerful system then the DS, it's very similar specs wise to a PS2, while the DS is similar to the N64. The PSP version would be the one with the nicer graphics.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2008, 05:08 PM   #9
DarkHorizon
Captain

Once you get further in, you unlock the ships for use in Skirmish and Multiplayer mode, so you can pilot them.
Old June 21 2008, 06:30 PM   #10
loldrey
Commander

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
JNG wrote: View Post
I don't have either version, but the PSP is a much more powerful system then the DS, it's very similar specs wise to a PS2, while the DS is similar to the N64. The PSP version would be the one with the nicer graphics.
PSP graphics are horrible, actually, they look like PS1.. N64 graphics were more smooth than PS1 graphics when the systems were rivals, and DS graphics are more smooth than PSP graphics today. Also, DS has next to no load times because it uses cartridges.. PSP uses crappy UMDs that break easily and take forever to load.
Old June 21 2008, 07:31 PM   #11
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

The DS has a resolution of 1024x1024 split between the two screens, the smoothness of the images actually surprised me at first.

And yes the DS responds instantly with only one loading screen when beginning a mission that lasts about 2 seconds at most, the PSP uses an optical media disc so controls and loading would take longer.

Also the DS games are a combination cartridge/flash drive so it can contain megabytes of save game data near instantly, I don't know if the PSP memory is volatile or non-volatile.
Old June 21 2008, 07:33 PM   #12
loldrey
Commander

The DS has a resolution of 1024x1024 split between the two screens, the smoothness of the images actually surprised me at first.

And yes the DS responds instantly with only one loading screen when beginning a mission that lasts about 2 seconds at most, the PSP uses an optical media disc so controls and loading would take longer.

Also the DS games are a combination cartridge/flash drive so it can contain megabytes of save game data near instantly, I don't know if the PSP memory is volatile or non-volatile.
In short, DS > PSP.
Old June 21 2008, 07:47 PM   #13
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Yeah depending on DS backlighting the battery lasts as least 8 hours on max, and if its on sort of low or normal level its usually up to 15-19 hours.

The PSP has 6 hours of battery life no matter what, thats...just laughable.
Old June 21 2008, 07:56 PM   #14
loldrey
Commander

I miss my DS... I'm gonna get one when I have some extra money..

Oh boy that's laughable!
Old June 23 2008, 05:55 AM   #15
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

I actually can't make up my mind based on what you guys said, but since the DS version seems to offer a more innovative control scheme, maybe I will check that one out. Just wanted to say that I appreciate the tips.
JNG is offline   Reply With Quote