MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 29 2008, 10:10 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Quinto On Spock And Sylar

Zachary Quinto feels no pressure in having to deal with the forty-year history of Spock.

As reported by Trekweb.com, from an article in the latest issue of SFX, even though he is playing Spock, Quinto's version of the half-human, half-Vulcan is different than Leonard Nimoy's version. "...in many ways my experience of 'Star Trek' is such that I am creating another version of Spock," said Quinto. "There will never be another Leonard Nimoy. This is an incredible man and an incredible actor who endeared himself to millions because of his portrayal of this character. And in a lot of ways that takes the pressure off me, because I can't compete with that!"

Quinto made sure that his performance was his, and that he didn't attempt to play Spock the way Nimoy did. "I...[made] sure my experience was my experience," said Quinto. "It's the only way stepping into such an iconic role is ever feasible. You have to acknowledge where it came from and Leonard was an enormous resource for me; incredibly generous with his time and his energy if I ever had a question or just wanted to talk about the experience or what he went through as an actor. But in terms of playing him ? No. I think that would be a trap, to try and shade my performance with echoes of his."

Playing Sylar is easier in some respects as Sylar was a new creation. "With Sylar I am the actor who originated the role and that occasions a different kind of space in which to work," said Quinto.

The character of Sylar is exploring conflict and being a villain this year, as reported by Crave Online. "It's exploring the idea of villainy in a lot of different ways and with different people," Quinto said of the new season. "It's going to be a very action packed beginning of the year, for sure."

Quinto feels that there is a chance to redeem Sylar, that he isn't all bad. "It depends on what his motivation is," said Quinto. "He has a lot of different reasons to do things this year. They don't all originate from himself. He's being put into situations where he has to do stuff for other people."

To read more, head to the articles located here and here.

Old October 1 2008, 05:46 AM   #2
TJinPgh
Captain

Re: Quinto On Spock And Sylar

While I understand his point, I think that it raises a question or two.

Nimoy's portrayal of Spock, in a lot of ways, became the template for every major Vulcan character that's come since.

While there were certainly differences between those characters. But, there always seemed to be an underlying element of Spock in all of them, even though they didn't share his human DNA.

I'm not sure how much you can, logistically, change Spock without losing what the character has brought to the franchise.
Old October 3 2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Spock's behavior in WNMHGB (or was it The Cage?) was so different than later Spock that it's easy to assume he just matured some in-between. Less shouty*, more confident, not trying so hard. That gives Quinto plenty of space to make the role his own without upsetting the canonistas (any more than they will insist on being upset).

*Not that I want QUINTO'S SPOCK TO BE CONSTANTLY SHOUTING!!!!

Moving on to Sylar...

Quinto feels that there is a chance to redeem Sylar, that he isn't all bad. "It depends on what his motivation is," said Quinto. "He has a lot of different reasons to do things this year. They don't all originate from himself. He's being put into situations where he has to do stuff for other people."
A lot of Heroes fans want Sylar to diediediediedie, but I never figured that would happen before Trek XI comes out. Kring will want to use the publicity to help Heroes (the way the Nielsens are going, they can't get cocky). Sylar's survival hinges on the success of Trek XI - if there are going to be more movies, Sylar is far more likely to live.

And for him not to be repetitive, he does need to be "redeemed" in some manner, though what that means and how it is plausibly accomplished remains an open question. The writing on the character has always been iffy; Quinto is really holding up far more than the actor's usual half in making a character work.
Old October 3 2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Brian
Vice Admiral

I just hope his Spock has the sense of irony, inner conflict and yes, humor, that Nimoy's Spock did. All the Vulcans that came after were played as dull emotionless robots.