Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek #44 Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Mulgrew Chicago Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Her Universe Fashion Show Contest
By: T'Bonz on Apr 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 7 2008, 10:32 PM   #1
RapidNadion
Commander

Need help with getting a customized autograph -- suggestions needed!

Hey guys!

So I'm in a wedding in November and the bridge and groom, good friends of mine, are big Star Trek fans. I got the idea last night that I could maybe go to a convention between now and Nov. 1st (the wedding date) and ask one of the guests (anybody from TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY, really) for a customized autographed headshot or something -- you know "Good luck on your journey through marriage" or whatever ... something tacky like that. Thought it would be a great wedding gift!

Problem is, there are no conventions that I know of here in the northeast (between MA, where I live, and VA, the wedding location) within the next three weeks, and a Google search told me that mailing out requests for autographs can take up to 6 weeks, and you don't seem to be able to ask for customized writings.

Can anyone offer a suggestion or some help with this? It'd be much appreciated for this last-minute wedding gift shopper

Thanks everyone.
RapidNadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Finn
Vice Admiral

Re: Need help with getting a customized autograph -- suggestions neede

I have no experience in this kind of thing, but you might check out their favorite actor(s)' webpages and mail it them for signatures. But seeing how you have only a few weeks to do this (unless you are willing to have them wait-it happens), perhaps you should go for one person or something like that.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 05:28 AM   #3
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

...or you could always go the stalker route and camp outside an actor's home. I mean... since you haven't thought ahead so far...

NOTE TO SELF AND OTHERS: The best gifts are from the heart of the giver to the heart of the recipient(s). The more thought and effort one puts into the gift, the more it will be appreciated over time.
Old October 8 2008, 08:47 PM   #4
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Many of the actors personal websites will sell autographs, but the lead time varies. I'm fairly certain Robert Picardo, Tim Russ and Brent Spiner all have customized autographs on their site.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 08:50 PM   #5
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Check out whether the actors you're interested in are doing anything else where you might catch them for an autograph, for example a theatre production. A long shot, I know, but it might work.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 09:56 PM   #6
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

How about printing a picture off of one of the actors and fake signing it yourself.

How could they possibly know it's fake?
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 10:21 PM   #7
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Tachyon Shield wrote: View Post
How about printing a picture off of one of the actors and fake signing it yourself.

How could they possibly know it's fake?
...and then later get a copy of the same picture with the real autograph... hilarity ensues as you get caught breaking into their home trying to switch pics.
Old October 11 2008, 02:12 AM   #8
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

The only Trek-related guests I've found in the next 3 weeks are Michael Berryman (Star Trek IV, cameo role) and Dwight Schultz (Barclay on TNG/Voyager). Neither is what you'd call a main cast member.

You could always try buying one directly from the actors' website. I know of George Takei, Grace Lee Whitney, and Tim Russ; they all offer personalized signed pix.

Nichelle Nichols has a site too, but I don't think it's legit. When I asked her about it, she seemed surprised to hear there even was one.

Actually, the more I look, the more I find. Let's just make this easy. Do your friends have favorite actors/characters? If so, google those actors' websites and look for their stores. Find out the cost and then use the contact info there to send an email. Ask if they will personalize that way and be able to ship it out in time for the wedding.

The sooner you do it, the better chances you have.
Old October 11 2008, 04:14 AM   #9
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

One other possibility you might consider: The gift for first anniversaries is paper... You'd have a whole year to get autographs (suggest Creation Vegas next August ... They sign dozens of actors representing a good cross-section of the franchise. If you can't make it, someone from here would be going and could get the autographs for you -- you might want to narrow the list because they will be neither free nor cheap).
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2008, 09:21 PM   #10
V1701E
Cadet

Check out liveautographs.com
V1701E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2008, 10:04 PM   #11
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Short of a convention, you're pretty screwed, lol. Where do you live?

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote