Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 1 2008, 04:59 PM   #31
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Re: Halloween Costume Thread!

Hermiod wrote: View Post
The thing is, I think you and tsq are preaching to the converted. Most of the guys on here would find a Sci-Fi/Comics/Fantasy costume a lot sexier than some non-existent outfit with a pair of wings attached. I know that's not what you are going for yourself, but that way you get to wear a costume that's not ridiculously revealing and looking good in it is a bonus.
Shaw wrote: View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about those types of girls if I were you. You're married to someone who loves and adores you, which means you've got the type of genuine attention and affection that those other girls haven't realized yet. I would think that being the object of someone's momentary desire is a pale substitute for what you have.

... At least that is how I hope I make my wife feel every day.
You guys are totally right. My husband saw the Bat-Girl costume and when I decided not to wear it to the party he said "... so you'll wear it at home?" with a huge hopeful grin on his face. Marrying a nerd was definitely a good choice.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 05:00 PM   #32
Neroon
Mod of balance

TheBrew wrote: View Post
My brother and I are thinking of making some tribal masks and going out with skirts and stuff. Maybe I can convince him to be a vegetarian cannibal.
Go as vegetarian zombies. Just keep groaning out, "GRAINS! GRAINS!! "
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 05:02 PM   #33
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 07:07 PM   #34
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Well, I've run out of Sci-Fi/Fantasy ideas. I've done LotR, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Harry Potter costumes. Last year I did something different and dressed up as a priest. This year, well, let's just say I'm working in the ER.
Old October 1 2008, 09:19 PM   #35
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Bad Roon Rising wrote: View Post
TheBrew wrote: View Post
My brother and I are thinking of making some tribal masks and going out with skirts and stuff. Maybe I can convince him to be a vegetarian cannibal.
Go as vegetarian zombies. Just keep groaning out, "GRAINS! GRAINS!! "
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 09:31 PM   #36
Jethro Elvis
Admiral

My costume this year will be a pair of pants and nothing else. If anyone asks about my costume, I intend to say, "I'm a premature ejaculation. I just came in my pants."
Jethro Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 09:39 PM   #37
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

KlingonMyPumpkinz wrote: View Post
My costume this year will be a pair of pants and nothing else. If anyone asks about my costume, I intend to say, "I'm a premature ejaculation. I just came in my pants."

That sounds like that bit in Philadelphia where Denzel Washington wears a business suit with legal papers plastered to it. He says his costume is a 'lawsuit'.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 10:16 PM   #38
Neroon
Mod of balance

Shaw wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
That's kind of why I don't like Halloween anymore, when it used to be one of my favorite holidays. I don't particularly like putting on lingerie and one or two accessories and calling it a costume. And since college, it seems like that's what most of the girls do at the parties I attend. " Look, I'm wearing practically nothing but I've got these irritating wings on that leave glitter all over the place! I must be a fairy!"

Or maybe I'm just bitter because I can't pull it off.
I wouldn't worry too much about those types of girls if I were you. You're married to someone who loves and adores you, which means you've got the type of genuine attention and affection that those other girls haven't realized yet. I would think that being the object of someone's momentary desire is a pale substitute for what you have. Besides... with your hubby there's TWO of you, and the possibilities increase. I'm hoping to see someone as Sarah Palin and Michael Palin. Or somehow work in a "palindrome" pun.

If it doesn't work out, well... there's always that Batgirl costume for a private showing. .

... At least that is how I hope I make my wife feel every day.
QFT.

Those girls are taking the easy way out, completely lacking in any kind of creativity and, eventually, reputation. This may not be Halloween, but whenever we go to a convention the people who get the most positive attention are those who obviously put some thought into their creation. OKay, granted you shouldn't spend all that much coin for a couple of hours on one night, but that doesn't mean you have to drift into boredom. The newspapers are full of current costume ideas that likely won't cost much except a bit of time and effort.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 11:07 PM   #39
RoJoHen
Awesome

KlingonMyPumpkinz wrote: View Post
That is the single greatest thing I've ever heard.

I have no idea what I'm doing for Halloween this year. I'm still trying to figure where the Halloween party is going to be. The last few years my roommates and I always had the party at our house. But we've all split up and live separately now, so we need to figure out who is going to host the party.

Previous costumes:
Last year I picked up my "costume" the day of Halloween, and it was glorious. I had no idea what I was going to be, so I went to Walmart and tried to figure it out. I ended up buying a kid's Spiderman pajama 2-pack (one pair was a Spiderman costume, the other was Venom). So I forced myself into the Spiderman pajamas, completely ripping them in the process. Then halfway through the night, I hid in my room for a while, and when I came out again, I was wearing the Venom costume.

The year before my roommates and I were the One-ders from "That Thing You Do." We spray painted gold some cheap thrift store suits. It was sweet.

The year before that my roommate and I were Prince Adam and He-Men, respectively. And because I always love busting out this picture...

Old October 1 2008, 11:17 PM   #40
Kommander
Commodore

I'm thinking about going to work dressed as Alex from A Clockwork Orange just so I can annoy my coworkers by speaking in Nadsat all day long, but I might go with something that takes a little less effort.

I have the boots and hat (well, I have a fedora instead of a bowler, but fedoras are more awesome anyway.)

I can probably find a shirt, pants, and suspenders that'll work if I go to enough thrift stores. The cane too. It's work, so I don't need it to have the hidden knife.

The fake eyelashes I'll probably just draw on with eyeliner. I wear glasses so I have to exaggerate it to be noticeable.

The hard part is the codpiece. In the film, cricket codpieces were used... they cost $100+ and I'd have to have it shipped in from Brittan. I can probably get something similar looking using an ordinary jock strap, fabric, stuffing, and an hour on a sewing machine.

I'll also drink milk all day for extra authenticity. the "plus vellocet" part might be difficult because, as far as I know, vellocet isn't a real drug. I guess I'll just crush up some vicodin and crystal meth and call the mixture vellocet. Or whatever, I'm sure I can find some substance that'll do an adequate job of getting me sharppened up for the ultraviolence.
Old October 1 2008, 11:23 PM   #41
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The last time I went out for Halloween was when I was 9. My sister made me a very nice Superman costume, but unfortunately it was so cold that night that I spent very little time actually using it (I went to maybe four or five houses). Plus, the ski mask did not help.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 01:26 AM   #42
Goji
Rear Admiral

I'm threatening to break out my Village of the Damned costume again. Because it's easy and funny and seems to creep the hell out of my Japanese teachers when I wear it to class.
Old October 2 2008, 01:54 AM   #43
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Well, you're probably doing the stare, right?
Old October 2 2008, 01:56 AM   #44
Goji
Rear Admiral

Yeah. I only wish I could get colored contact lenses to go with it. That'd really spook them.
Old October 2 2008, 01:58 AM   #45
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Also, a little recorder that plays the sound effect.