Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 31 2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
David Goyer Teases the Next Batman Film!

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/07/21...-for-batman-3/

Whether you agree or not, judging from both fan reaction and near universal critical acclaim, “The Dark Knight” will almost certainly go down as the greatest comic book movie of all-time, with a performance from Heath Ledger that is being hailed as one of the greatest on-screen villains ever. Now all Christopher Nolan, his brother Jonathan, David Goyer, and an as yet unnamed villain have to do is top it.

“I think that’s the scariest thing – to think, could we come up with a third movie that was as good as the first two? Can we top ourselves?” screenwriter David Goyer asked aloud, almost rhetorically, in a recent conversation with MTV News. “Doing it a third time would be a big proposition.”

Make no mistake about it, though, a third film HAS been discussed, Goyer confessed, revealing that, while nothing is concrete, both a villain and a theme have been bandied about.

“We’ve only talked loosely about it, though, Chris and I,” Goyer said.
Interestingly, it’s the theme, and not the villain, that most interests me, especially given how the latter seems inexorably tied to the former in this new modern Batman universe. (Fear the predominant issue in “Begins” precipitating the introduction of Scarecrow, escalation in “Knight” similarly calling for The Joker.

The fact that Goyer has a theme he wants to keep in mind for a possible “Batman 3” means he also has a direction, a crisis, and, yes, a villain.
So what is it?

“I have one,” Goyer said laughing. “But I’m not going to tell you. Chris is very particular about that.

“I do think, though, that if there’s not a third film – these two movies stand on their own,” he added. “I think it could go either way.”
So what could the theme be?

Begins: Fear
Knight: Escalation
Next: Redemption?

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 08:48 AM   #2
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: David Goyer Teases the Next Batman Film!

Hmm. I also find it interesting that he says he has found "one".
Old July 31 2008, 09:09 AM   #3
crouteru
Captain

Interesting article here:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/wenn/200807...r-c60bd6d.html

Would seem to contradict what Nolan said about using The Penguin.
crouteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 10:00 AM   #4
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

The Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin rumour has been going around since after Batman Begins in 2005. I guess it's the Bat rumor that just won't die.

And I wouldn't expect to hear anything even somewhat legitimate in terms of what direction the film will be going in terms of villain and star for at least the next year. If not much longer.
Old July 31 2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
(Fan over examination ON!) That doesn't necessarily mean anything. The previous films had multiple villains connected to the theme, but Goyer only refers to one of them each when discussing the themes. It's possible there's one primary villain as before with one supporting villain in another form.

But you're absolutely right that we won't know anything concrete for a long time.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

I'm just glad they've discussed it.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 04:35 PM   #7
Mr Light
Admiral

Redemption... Mister Freeze? Or is he too fantastical to appear in this gritty realistic interpretation. Actually if you think about it, most of the remaining villains are all science-fiction-y and probably wouldn't be used in the story. Killer Croc? Poison Ivy? Mr. Freeze? Bane?

Who's left in the real world? Penguin? Ventriloquist? Black Mask?

I've never read a comic with Hush in it... does he have any super powers?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 04:40 PM   #8
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I think it's a given that any of the remaining villains will be re-imagined in a more realistic way, so a villain being too 'out there' means nothing.

Boy do I hope that article's rumors are true. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Johnny Depp? Sold.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 04:45 PM   #9
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

maybe a reworked version of HUSH? Harvey masquerading as HUSH with catwoman and Riddler
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 04:49 PM   #10
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

If this is to be the last Batman with this crew, I would say "Legacy" would be a good theme. Move the timeline up a decade. Introduce Robin. Gotham needs a symbol and I would like to see Bruce find a way to have an enduring symbol and find a family again after he has lost so much in that department.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 04:55 PM   #11
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
I think it's a given that any of the remaining villains will be re-imagined in a more realistic way, so a villain being too 'out there' means nothing.
Exactly. Look what they did with Ra's Al Ghul.

"And what better Penguin is there than Philip Seymour Hoffman."
Paul Giamatti?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 04:57 PM   #12
label
Vice Admiral

TheBrew wrote: View Post
If this is to be the last Batman with this crew, I would say "Legacy" would be a good theme. Move the timeline up a decade. Introduce Robin.
Christian Bale has already said on several occasions he would quit before he'd make a movie with a Robin character in it. Besides, I don't see how you introduce a side-kick in this version of Batman without it coming off cheesy.....
Old July 31 2008, 05:05 PM   #13
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I think Robin could be in the action in some capacity without being the same kind of sidekick Burt Ward's Robin was to Adam West's Batman.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 05:30 PM   #14
label
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I think Robin could be in the action in some capacity without being the same kind of sidekick Burt Ward's Robin was to Adam West's Batman.

Maybe, but the introduction of Robin in the last series certainly didn't work either so I really question, why go there? In the last series of movies, the first two without Robin were very good, the last two with Robin sucked. Granted, Tim Burton left after the first 2 but still, the addition of Robin certainly didn't help either.

It's odd, because I was always a fan of Robin/Nightwing in the comics. Robin just doesn't seem to translate very well onto big screen, especially in the dark, realistic world Nolan's films are set in.
Old July 31 2008, 05:39 PM   #15
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
(Fan over examination ON!) That doesn't necessarily mean anything. The previous films had multiple villains connected to the theme, but Goyer only refers to one of them each when discussing the themes. It's possible there's one primary villain as before with one supporting villain in another form.

But you're absolutely right that we won't know anything concrete for a long time.
Oh, I'm aware. However it seems at this stage it might appear as if the focus could be on one villain. At least, that's as far as they've developed.