Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 30 2008, 06:27 AM   #46
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

Re: Rob Liefeld...

Pensive wrote: View Post
Leroy wrote: View Post
I get a kick out of those anti Liefield websites, the only thing good he did was create Deadpool.
From the new Deadpool:
http://www.murkworks.net/%7Ejames/Co.../deadpool2.jpg

(I converted this to a link. 600+ MB is a little large to be posting inline. Thanks. - Spiff)
Wow, clearly Jason Giambi and Barry Bonds aren't the only ones suffering from steroid withdrawal!

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2008, 04:03 PM   #47
Mike Farley
Commodore

Well, in Rob's defense, he obviously never relied on over-referencing photos!

The problem with Liefeld's art, in my non-artist view, is that he learned to draw from comics. Comics are fine as a starting point but eventually you need to go off and learn perspective and anatomy and how to draw real life stuff. You need to be able to draw "properly" before you layer in the stylization. Look at Jack Kirby, his perspective and anatomy were often crazy as hell but it wasn't because he didn't know better, it was because he made a conscious effort to tweak things for the sake of style and power in the image. And also because he was drawing ten pages a day.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2008, 08:59 PM   #48
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post

The problem with Liefeld's art, in my non-artist view, is that he learned to draw from comics. Comics are fine as a starting point but eventually you need to go off and learn perspective and anatomy and how to draw real life stuff. You need to be able to draw "properly" before you layer in the stylization. Look at Jack Kirby, his perspective and anatomy were often crazy as hell but it wasn't because he didn't know better, it was because he made a conscious effort to tweak things for the sake of style and power in the image. And also because he was drawing ten pages a day.
My artist's view coincides completely with your non-artist's view. Excellent observation.
Old September 30 2008, 09:08 PM   #49
exodus
Fleet Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Mike Farley wrote: View Post

My artist's view coincides completely with your non-artist's view. Excellent observation.
I completely agree with both your observations.

Plus, I agree Beaker. The ability to be untrained and not know how to draw properly is not a style. What makes Liefield even worse was he made the far more talented artists that worked for him copy his way of drawing completely.

What an arrogant ass!
Old October 1 2008, 02:28 AM   #50
Mike Farley
Commodore

Was it Herb Trimpe, a solid albeit unspectacular artist from the early to middle Marvel days, that ended up aping Liefeld's "style" just to get work in the 90's?
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 03:15 AM   #51
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

^Not possible. Trimpe is a skilled artist, and probably the definitive Hulk artist. Liefeld doesn't have a style, he just imitates (without understanding) artists like Trimpe.
Old October 1 2008, 08:24 AM   #52
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

I wish IDW would hire some better artists. I tried reading Megatron's origins again and my head exploded...
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 12:34 PM   #53
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
I wish IDW would hire some better artists. I tried reading Megatron's origins again and my head exploded...
Most of IDW's art is pretty good. I didn't like it at first, but its definitely grown on me. You're right about Megatron Origins though, the art is awful, but luckily the story is pretty crap too, so it can simply be discarded.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 08:09 PM   #54
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

^Not possible. Trimpe is a skilled artist, and probably the definitive Hulk artist. Liefeld doesn't have a style, he just imitates (without understanding) artists like Trimpe.
Sadly, it's true. Though Trimpe's dumbing down of his own art is at least not quite so anatomically absurd.
Old October 2 2008, 12:07 AM   #55
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

I forgot, what was the name of that other artist that was often compared to Leifield? The one who died of cancer recently.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 01:12 AM   #56
TedShatner10
Commodore

Does Liefeld's popularity in the 80s and 90s show how bad comic art was in general? In some ways I think comic art is so much better these days, with more depth, colour and detail.

Balls.
Liefeld couldn't have gotten a job in comics until the '90s. He'd have been laughed right out of the bullpen.

I don't think he would've had a chance in the first half of the 1980s, and some people say Liefeld prospered because most comic book art was getting so stagnant and bland, even his ridiculous drawings got a lot of undeserved attention. A comic book artist from the 1980s that I personally like is David Gibbons...

If a artist who knew how to draw people, he would draw a man with a gun like this and not like this. And what's worse the vastly superior David Gibbons had unofficial artistic qualifications as well.
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 02:04 AM   #57
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

melancholymecha wrote: View Post
I forgot, what was the name of that other artist that was often compared to Leifield? The one who died of cancer recently.
Michael Turner. Nowhere near as bad as Liefeld, but yeah, pretty bad.
Old October 2 2008, 03:51 AM   #58
TedShatner10
Commodore

Michael Turner (one more to the disconcertingly growing number of celebs who've died suddenly this year) doesn't seem to be as terrible as Liefeld: looking at his work nothing seems to leap up at me as Jesus-titty-fucking-Christ awful, but it doesn't seem amazing either, so I'd say he is the best among the hacks.
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 11:14 AM   #59
ancient
Vice Admiral

Turner never drew anything near as horrific as Liefeld's worst, and he did have a style - an unpopular one in some circles, but a style none-the-less. Yes, he made very square squinty faces with zombie eyes and extreme! proportions, but he didn't ever put 150 teeth into someone's mouth.
Old October 2 2008, 06:57 PM   #60
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

funny thing is I thought his art pretty good (he did a lot of strikingly detailed covers) until other people online started pointing out all the mistakes & then I was like "ooh, now I see." I think the detailed computer coloring that was used in the 90's/current times helped to hide a lot of the flaws these artist made.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote