TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 27 2008, 10:36 PM   #1
Darth_Pazuzu
Rear Admiral

First contact between the Federation and the Cardassian Union (?)

Have there been any Star Trek novels that have dealt with the first contact between the UFP and the Cardassians? To my knowledge, there hasn't been an actual novel about the subject, but I was wondering if any of the novels - TNG or DS9 have touched upon any specifics?

Since the Cardassians weren't at all a concern in TOS (because of course they hadn't been invented yet - d'oh!) and we first got the backstory dealing with the border wars between the two powers in TNG's The Wounded, I'm guessing that the first contact happened either between the events of The Undiscovered Country and Encounter At Farpoint. I also know that the six-book Lost Era series from a while back deals with many of the events during this period (like the Betreka Nebula incident in Art Of The Impossible), but I haven't yet read every single book in that series.

Does anybody else have a clue as to exactly when first contact was made between the United Federation of Planets and the Cardassian Union?
Old September 27 2008, 11:00 PM   #2
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: First contact between the Federation and the Cardassian Union (?)

The specifics of that particular first contact have yet to be told in prose form.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 11:41 PM   #3
Darth Duck
Commodore

From on screen Trek, Tobin Dax ran into an exiled Cardassian poet on Vulcan, so given Tobin's established lifetime that'd be pre-TOS that at least one Cardassian was in Federation space.
Darth Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Christopher
Writer

We know that the UFP made contact with the Cardassian Union (as opposed to individual Cardassians such as the exiled poet) not long before 2327, because that's when the Wildstorm Enter the Wolves graphic novel occurs, and the Cardassians are treated there as a people the Federation knows little about. I believe Terok Nor: Day of the Vipers indicated that the Cardassians and the Federation were aware of each other years earlier, perhaps as early as 2318, though I don't immediately recall the specifics.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Timo
Admiral

On the other hand, the first seasons of TNG tried to portray the Klingons as "a people the Federation knows little about"... And they were longstanding UFP allies and even more longstanding arch-enemies!

It might be that first contact with basically everybody worth contacting came back in Archer's days, as the Earthlings stumbled onto an already fully integrated interstellar community. Actual political-economic-military tęte-á-tęte, mano-a-mano with a specific species might follow only centuries after the theoretical first contact, though.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 07:29 PM   #6
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

KRAD wrote: View Post
The specifics of that particular first contact have yet to be told in prose form.
Since you didn't provide a KRADlist (patent pending) and provide fewer details, are we to assume that such a project is in the works??

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

^^Huh? He can't make a list or provide details if there are no details to list. There is no story establishing how first contact occurred, so what more could he have said about it?

Old September 28 2008, 07:40 PM   #8
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Christopher wrote: View Post
^^Huh? He can't make a list or provide details if there are no details to list. There is no story establishing how first contact occurred, so what more could he have said about it?
I was wondering simply because KRAD usually gives a list about almost everything and there have been a few books about Cardassians (other than those mentioned, I believe) which may have dealt with Cardassians prior to TAOTI. His posts are also usually longer than a single line when he's not correcting people or joking around so I surmised, either rightly or wrongly, that he or someone else might be working on such a project.

I suppose there's a possibility that Una McCormack might make mention of the fact in her upcoming Cardassian-centred novel, The Never Ending Sacrifice, but I too would like to see the first contact between these two cultures.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 07:50 PM   #9
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

Xeris wrote: View Post
KRAD wrote: View Post
Since you didn't provide a KRADlist (patent pending) and provide fewer details, are we to assume that such a project is in the works??
You're reading too much into me being lazy.

There are some hints about first contact in Enter the Wolves, the one-shot comic book written by A.C. Crispin and Howard Weinstein in 2001, and some more in The Art of the Impossible and Day of the Vipers, and it's quite possible there'll be something in The Never-Ending Sacrifice.

But the basic answer is: "not yet."

Old September 28 2008, 08:03 PM   #10
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

^ Hmmmm... longer than a single line, and yet still no KRADlist. Must run more analysis...
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 09:26 PM   #11
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

It does appear that First Contact was around the beginning of the 24th century, although there are very few details about what happened as of yet.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 09:55 PM   #12
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I wonder if there is some logic that Archer ran into every major Alpha and Beta power, but most official First Contacts came much farther in his future.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 10:38 PM   #13
21Spike65
Lieutenant Commander

There was a hint to the first contact in The Brave in the Bold Book Two (The Third Artifact). Mastroeni claimed first contact between humans and Cardassians occurred on Juhraya when a Cardassian ship crash-landed there about fifty years before 2371 (so approximately 2321). The source isn't incredibly reliable, given that Juhraya was her home planet, but it's the most direct reference to first contact I've ever read.
21Spike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 10:47 PM   #14
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

21Spike65 wrote: View Post
There was a hint to the first contact in The Brave in the Bold Book Two (The Third Artifact). Mastroeni claimed first contact between humans and Cardassians occurred on Juhraya when a Cardassian ship crash-landed there about fifty years before 2371 (so approximately 2321). The source isn't incredibly reliable, given that Juhraya was her home planet, but it's the most direct reference to first contact I've ever read.
Mastroeni was also a twit and trying to talk herself up at the time.

Still, I should've included it (especially since I, y'know, wrote it) so thanks for that.

Old September 28 2008, 11:36 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
I wonder if there is some logic that Archer ran into every major Alpha and Beta power, but most official First Contacts came much farther in his future.
Mainly he only encountered Klingons, Romulans, Orions, and Tholians. There were one or two appearances by Nausicaans, but they're not really a major power. And the isolated Ferengi contact -- well, I always make the analogy of the Norse settlement of North America in 1000 AD, a temporary "first contact" that was then forgotten for centuries after the Norse expansion died down. Progress isn't always linear, and neither is territorial growth. Perhaps after the Romulan War, the fledgling Federation focused on consolidating its territory and building ties among its members, so exploration slowed for a while. Other powers (like the Ferengi) could've undergone territorial shifts or reductions, or had political changes that led to cutbacks in space exploration, or whatever.

Besides, space is big. Within 100 light-years of Earth, it's estimated that there are somewhere around 15,000 stars. Assuming that many of those are in binary or multiple systems, let's conservatively say there are around 10,000 different star systems in that volume. In the first, second, and fourth seasons of ENT (discounting the Xindi arc, which took place considerably farther away), NX-01 had maybe 60 or so encounters with distinct star systems or the denizens thereof. Even assuming those were all within 100 ly, that still leaves 99.4% of that volume unexplored. So there's nothing surprising about the fact that Archer contacted some future major powers in the quadrant and not others. He couldn't be everywhere.