RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 585
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old October 5 2008, 10:05 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Tim Russ On Tuvok And 'Star Trek: Voyager'

Tim Russ enjoyed the challenge of acting, but it was not his first love.

As reported by the tri-cityherald.com, Russ has always had a heart for music. "I have been playing music for almost thirty-six years off and on," said Russ, who is now fifty-two. "I used to make a living at it. I haven't been a working actor for the same length of time, but both [music and acting] are special to me. They are two different types of expression that are rewarding in their own unique way."

Regarding his role of the Vulcan Tuvok on Star Trek: Voyager. Russ felt that he and his character shared some traits. "There is usually a bit of an actor's personality in the characters he or she plays," explained Russ. "I do tend to have some of [Tuvok's] personality traits, and I've been told so on more than one occasion."

Playing a Vulcan who suppressed emotions was not difficult for Russ. "It's actually easier to play a character without emotion than it is with emotion," he said.

Russ appreciated the steady work that Star Trek: Voyager offered and the fact that it made it easier to be more selective in what he chose when offered other roles. "Being on the show for those seven years did have an effect on me in the fact that it made me more secure in my career," he said. "I didn't have to worry so much about getting the next job, and could pick and choose offers that came my way. I also became profoundly aware of how lucky I was to have had these opportunities. Many actors I have known have never gotten a break like that and struggle to get any kind of work at all."

The end of Star Trek: Voyager was both a relief and sad for Russ. "There is always a duality to working on a show that eventually ends," he said. "You can't wait to have the chance to work on other projects or in other areas of the business. On the other hand, you miss your castmates and the steady work. But I was, in fact, growing weary of playing the same role for such a long time."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old October 5 2008, 10:31 PM   #2
foxmulder710
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Tim Russ On Tuvok And 'Star Trek: Voyager'

I once met Tim Russ at a convention, and he was a real asshole. He was far more interested in explaining to these Hooters girls that he'd been on TV than in actually interacting with myself or other fans.

Greeting him with "Hey TUVOK!" might not have helped, though.

Guy that played Ensign Kim was a LOT cooler and friendlier, though.
Old October 5 2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Aragorn
Admiral

Well, seeing as how conventions are like 100% of his new income, Garrett Wang better be nice to you.
Old October 6 2008, 01:04 AM   #4
Tulin
Vice Admiral

foxmulder710 wrote: View Post
I once met Tim Russ at a convention, and he was a real asshole.
Well, he WAS on VOY.

That qualifies him for asshole status right there.

God that show fucking sucked.
Old October 6 2008, 03:11 AM   #5
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I was at the 2007 Con and Russ was there for what seemed like a very short time (compared with the other actors that appeared). He talked about what he was up to for a few minutes and then opened the floor for questions, the second of which was one about his fan film, Of Gods and Men, which "suddenly reminded him" that he has a trailer for the film. They showed it, and afterwards, said good-bye to the audience and walked off stage.

I mean, he was pleasant and all, but he really seemed like he didn't want to be there and was just there to pimp his fan film.
Old October 6 2008, 03:56 AM   #6
zenophite
Rear Admiral

Aside from Picardo what have any of them really done since?
Old October 6 2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Dr. Chandra
Captain

Russ appreciated the steady work that <i>Star Trek: Voyager</i> offered and the fact that it made it easier to be more selective in what he chose when offered other roles. "Being on the show for those seven years did have an effect on me in the fact that it made me more secure in my career," he said. "I didn't have to worry so much about getting the next job, and could pick and choose offers that came my way.
I saw Russ on an episode of Hannah Montana that my daughter forced me to watch. He had a walk-on role as a doctor making a housecall. If that's being selective, rock on, Russ!
'The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure … America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.' - Senator Barack Obama, 2006
Old October 6 2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Searider Falcon
Fleet Captain

View Searider Falcon's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Searider Falcon Send a message via AIM to Searider Falcon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Searider Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Searider Falcon

zenophite wrote: View Post
Aside from Picardo what have any of them really done since?
Actually, the majority of tha cast is staying busy.

Last I checked, Russ also had a recurring role on Samantha Who? playing the doorman at her apartment complex that isn't mentioned in this article. I think he was playing the principal on iCarly, too.

Mulgrew is appearing on Broadway in Equus with Daniel Radcliffe of Harry Potter fame, has been in plenty of theater productions prior to that (Tea at Five, The Royal Family, Iphegenia 2.0). She also played the mother of the four leads on the short-lived The Black Donnellys.

Robert Duncan McNeil and Roxann Dawson have moved behind the camera and have been directing lots of television episodes.

Jeri Ryan was a regular on the recently cancelled Shark. She also runs a restaurant with her husband and they recently had a baby girl.

Ethan Phillips seems to pop up regularly in guest spots on television. Heck, if IMDB is even semi-accurate about their filmographies, he and Russ have probably stayed the busiest out of anyone in the cast as far as the tv/film industry goes.

Jennifer Lien's pretty much left the industry to raise a family. She did some of voiceover work but little else after her stint on Voyager, but not much else.

Beltran has done a few lame made-for-tv movies and a couple of guest appearances (CSI and Medium, I think). He was most recently in a play a few months ago.

And yeah, Garrett's done the least it seem and seems to be working the con circuit more than acting anymore. For what it's worth, IMBD says he was in something this year and that he has another film in post-production.

http://seariderfalcon.livejournal.com
Old October 6 2008, 10:48 PM   #9
zenophite
Rear Admiral

^wow I applaud your dedication.
Old October 7 2008, 07:49 AM   #10
Aragorn
Admiral

Dr. Fronkenshteen wrote: View Post
I saw Russ on an episode of Hannah Montana that my daughter forced me to watch. He had a walk-on role as a doctor making a housecall. If that's being selective, rock on, Russ!
I think I saw Tim Russ on Numbers. He walked with a federal agent into a parking garage and opened the trunk of a car. The end.