Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 21 2008, 04:33 PM   #1
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Non humanoid Borg assimilation

We know that they can assimilate technology and humanoid species and make them drones.

The question is would non humanoid species like the Sheliak or Species 8472 be made into drones as well, and what of other intelligent biological creatures like shapeshifters and other things.....
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Haytil
Captain

Re: Non humanoid Borg assimilation

I don't think they'd make very good drones - it is the shape and physical adaptability (legs, arms, hands, fingers, appendages) that make humanoids effective as drones.

However, I see no reason why the Borg wouldn't assimilate non-humanoid, intelligent (or non-intelligent!) species into the collective to serve other purposes. Biological components can be very effective (that's why they don't just make androids) - I could see things like Sheliak being installed into Borg ships as computer cores or more ship-like components (rather than inhabitant-like drones).
Haytil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

All we have seen are humanoid drones. I tend to believe they would assimilate non-humanoids as well though. It is only our bipedal bias that makes us believe we are the only ones worthy of assimilation.
Old October 21 2008, 07:59 PM   #4
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

USS Excelsior wrote: View Post

The question is would non humanoid species like the Sheliak or Species 8472 be made into drones as well,
Well I think the introduction of 8472 revolving around the Borg trying to assimilate them kinda answers that question.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Marie1
Rear Admiral

Tachyon Shield wrote: View Post
USS Excelsior wrote: View Post

The question is would non humanoid species like the Sheliak or Species 8472 be made into drones as well,
Well I think the introduction of 8472 revolving around the Borg trying to assimilate them kinda answers that question.
There is a large thread pertaining to the assimilation of shapeshifters... in the DS9 forum I think. Not sure what the consensus was, but since the DS9 shape shifters could turn into fire, fog, etc. they could probably resist assimilation. The Borg could probably turn just about anything they could assimilate into a drone- even if it wasn't practical to be working an interface or walking around, it would still give its knowledge and be tied into the hive for future reference etc.
Old October 21 2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Loneknight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Marie1 wrote: View Post
The Borg could probably turn just about anything they could assimilate into a drone- even if it wasn't practical to be working an interface or walking around, it would still give its knowledge and be tied into the hive for future reference etc.
I thought they only assimilated other species into the collective based on their technological prowess. Don't get me wrong, it makes sense to assimilate anything they can - intelligent or otherwise - for more drones, etc.

I could be thinking of something else...
Old October 21 2008, 11:02 PM   #7
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure that Species 8472 was resistant to assimilation.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 05:21 AM   #8
Red Ranger
Admiral

Good question. As I recall, in one of the Shatnerverse novels, they show some kind of insect-like life-form with a multiple segmented body, kind of like a centipede, doing some kind of maintenance work. So I could see the Borg assimilating an insectoid-species and using them to perhaps fix small corridors and crawlspaces in a Borg cube. -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 06:07 AM   #9
roguephoenix
Captain

the thing is that they don't need 8472. they have all they need to create a super army of super borgs if only they used the genetic knowlege they already have and boost the humanoids they have to their fullest. thus bringing them closer to the perfection they seek and elevating themselves further. they are not using their resources properly. alas the borg are not very smart and quite lazy/complacent. must be a relic of the skynet computer....

imagine an army or borg with powers like kes. the possibilities are just astounding. the very beings who strive to elevate themselves and are supposed to be the horrific symbol of advancement by any means, can't see that they are stagnant. guess that proves humanoid minds still control the borg. lol

i wonder if 7 would throw a fit if someone pointed out the different ways the borg were inefficient, stagnant, and counter productive. hmmm....
roguephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 06:12 AM   #10
Shintaek
Lieutenant Commander

roguephoenix wrote: View Post
must be a relic of the skynet computer...
I'm beginning to think that skynet is the killer robot/cyborg/machine/computer's version of the big bang.
Shintaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 01:31 PM   #11
USS Excelsior
Commodore

roguephoenix wrote: View Post
imagine an army or borg with powers like kes. the possibilities are just astounding.
That's another thing that crossed my mind. Particularly if they assimilate a Betazoid do they have access to their empathic powers to read thoughts and emotions.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

LutherSloan wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure that Species 8472 was resistant to assimilation.
Well yes, but the fact that we know that obviously means the Borg tried, albeit unsuccessfully, which would tend to answer the OP's query.
Old October 22 2008, 05:35 PM   #13
Austin 3:16
Commander

Has anyone here read that short story in the book Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 8 called "Alpha & Omega"? It's a very good story about how the Borg somehow find a way to assimilate the Q continuum, which brings about the end of mankind pretty much. It ends when
Austin 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 06:26 PM   #14
Marie1
Rear Admiral

Loneknight wrote: View Post
The Borg could probably turn just about anything they could assimilate into a drone- even if it wasn't practical to be working an interface or walking around, it would still give its knowledge and be tied into the hive for future reference etc.
I thought they only assimilated other species into the collective based on their technological prowess. Don't get me wrong, it makes sense to assimilate anything they can - intelligent or otherwise - for more drones, etc.

I could be thinking of something else...
No, not just technology, but also knowledge etc. One of their sayings is "...we will add your biological and tech. distinctiveness to our own..."
Old October 22 2008, 06:36 PM   #15
Loneknight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

No, not just technology, but also knowledge etc. One of their sayings is "...we will add your biological and tech. distinctiveness to our own..."
Ah, indeed. I stand corrected....should have known that.

*Hangs head in shame*