RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,888
Posts: 5,386,728
Members: 24,715
Currently online: 468
Newest member: Noga74

TrekToday headlines

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 2 2008, 07:47 PM   #91
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

I've just watched last night's episode. I'm still enjoying it, but I just wish they'd bring a bit more of an ongoing story to it. Because as it stands this land that eradicated magic seems to be absolutely brimming with it, with no real explanation of why, or no real recurring threat.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2008, 07:51 PM   #92
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

Yeah magic does seem to be everywhere, an it could perhaps do with a stronger story arc, although I'm guessing Michelle Ryan and the Morganna story will continue. I also wish Merlin didn't save the day, every week. Even when Arthur had to venture out for the antidote to save Merlin it was an unconsious Merlin who saved him!

I'm still enjoying it though, the guys playing Merlin and especially Arthur are well cast, shame the women are so drippy.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2008, 07:54 PM   #93
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

All right, I'm biased - and probably shouldn't have watched at all - in that I like to see folklore done right if it's going to be done on movies/TV. PTerry's Lords And Ladies pointed out that, in the original folklore (and I was brought up on that), Elves are glamorous - they cast glamours; elves are terrific- they cause terror... Torchwood did not too badly (except for the flying Gollums), and Elrond in LOTR was good.

But these little winged fairies?!

Fuck right off! This is offensive to us Celts whose grannies told us the really cool stories. I wonder if I can complain to the Beeb to get this suspended, and have an extra season of Dr Who in its place. Or something.

And don't get me started about the potatoes and tomatoes.

Still, could be worse - it could be Robin Hood.
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Adventures With The Wife In Space (Neil Perryman)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2008, 08:00 PM   #94
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

^I don't get the complaint, I mean it's a TV show that's "re-imaginging" the story. Everything is wrong about it, but I don't care because all I'm looking for is entertainment, not a faithful retelling of a story that has no faithful retelling. Because, lets face it, there are so many different takes on religion, folklore, myths and legends that it'd be impossible to get it right in most people's eyes anyway.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2008, 08:09 PM   #95
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
^I don't get the complaint, I mean it's a TV show that's "re-imaginging" the story. Everything is wrong about it, but I don't care because all I'm looking for is entertainment, not a faithful retelling of a story that has no faithful retelling. Because, lets face it, there are so many different takes on religion, folklore, myths and legends that it'd be impossible to get it right in most people's eyes anyway.
Yeah, I know, I said I was biased.

And I figured the potatoes and tomatoes were so obvious everybody would complain
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Adventures With The Wife In Space (Neil Perryman)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2008, 08:14 PM   #96
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
^I don't get the complaint, I mean it's a TV show that's "re-imaginging" the story. Everything is wrong about it, but I don't care because all I'm looking for is entertainment, not a faithful retelling of a story that has no faithful retelling. Because, lets face it, there are so many different takes on religion, folklore, myths and legends that it'd be impossible to get it right in most people's eyes anyway.
Yeah, I know, I said I was biased.

And I figured the potatoes and tomatoes were so obvious everybody would complain
I guess I switch my brain a little too far off when watching this, Primeval and Robin Hood, because I didn't even think of that until you mentioned it.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2008, 09:06 PM   #97
Bishbot
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
^I don't get the complaint, I mean it's a TV show that's "re-imaginging" the story. Everything is wrong about it, but I don't care because all I'm looking for is entertainment, not a faithful retelling of a story that has no faithful retelling. Because, lets face it, there are so many different takes on religion, folklore, myths and legends that it'd be impossible to get it right in most people's eyes anyway.
Yeah, I know, I said I was biased.

And I figured the potatoes and tomatoes were so obvious everybody would complain
I guess I switch my brain a little too far off when watching this, Primeval and Robin Hood, because I didn't even think of that until you mentioned it.
I noticed it, but considering how wrong everything else is in it, couldn't really give a toss. After all, if we're to accept COMPLETELY anachronistic building designs, weapons and armour, clothing, scientific knowledge, speech patterns and MAGIC all over the place, I think we can accept that this fantasy version of early medieval England has plants that look a lot like tomatoes and potatoes in amongst its griffins and fairies and things.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2008, 10:57 PM   #98
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

don't forget, Gaius gave Merlin a bacon butty in episode 1...

Morgana's hot...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2008, 10:57 PM   #99
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

And don't get me started about the potatoes and tomatoes.
Yikes. There's sloppy and there's flat-out, who-gives-a-fuck insulting-to-the-audience.

I sure hope for NBC's sake they didn't pay much for this turkey (another food item that Merlin has no business knowing about). This suckers going to crash & burn worse than Crusoe.

After all, if we're to accept COMPLETELY anachronistic building designs, weapons and armour, clothing, scientific knowledge, speech patterns and MAGIC all over the place, I think we can accept that this fantasy version of early medieval England has plants that look a lot like tomatoes and potatoes in amongst its griffins and fairies and things.
Nice try, but anachronistic food items are going to be far too obvious to far too many people in the audience, or at least the ones who have a glimmer of education (maybe the BBC is assuming their audience is composed of dolts and they don't need to bother to make any effort). The tradition of anachronisms like late medievel architecture, shining armor and widespread Christianity in Merlin's time is long established; but getting mundane details wrong comes from sheer carelessness. It's not like there's a point to putting a frakkin stupid tomato in the story like there would be a point to a griffin.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2008, 11:49 PM   #100
Bishbot
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
And don't get me started about the potatoes and tomatoes.
Yikes. There's sloppy and there's flat-out, who-gives-a-fuck insulting-to-the-audience.

I sure hope for NBC's sake they didn't pay much for this turkey (another food item that Merlin has no business knowing about). This suckers going to crash & burn worse than Crusoe.

After all, if we're to accept COMPLETELY anachronistic building designs, weapons and armour, clothing, scientific knowledge, speech patterns and MAGIC all over the place, I think we can accept that this fantasy version of early medieval England has plants that look a lot like tomatoes and potatoes in amongst its griffins and fairies and things.
Nice try, but anachronistic food items are going to be far too obvious to far too many people in the audience, or at least the ones who have a glimmer of education (maybe the BBC is assuming their audience is composed of dolts and they don't need to bother to make any effort). The tradition of anachronisms like late medievel architecture, shining armor and widespread Christianity in Merlin's time is long established; but getting mundane details wrong comes from sheer carelessness. It's not like there's a point to putting a frakkin stupid tomato in the story like there would be a point to a griffin.
I suppose I just considered it complete fantasy, so it just didn't bother me at all. Then again, you have a point, if I were writing it, I would leave out the potatoes and whatnot because they aren't correct and aren't necessary.

I just don't see it as a deal breaker though, given the whole fantasy, anything goes nature of the programme. Merlin has a lot of flaws, in the writing, directing and acting departments, but I think that's a pretty trivial example.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2008, 11:54 PM   #101
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
don't forget, Gaius gave Merlin a bacon butty in episode 1...
Well, they had pigs and bread, so...

People calling Uther "Your majesty" get on my wick as well- Henry VIII invented that!
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Adventures With The Wife In Space (Neil Perryman)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 09:52 AM   #102
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

Camelot is a mythical place, like Atlantis, it might have more basis in fact but not by much. This is a land full of magic and enchanted creatures and people are getting hung up because there's a potato there? Jesus wept...
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 09:56 AM   #103
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

Starkers wrote: View Post
Camelot is a mythical place, like Atlantis, it might have more basis in fact but not by much. This is a land full of magic and enchanted creatures and people are getting hung up because there's a potato there? Jesus wept...
I know, why get hung up about stuff like that in a fantasy show, which is what this is, it's not trying to be true to the legend, it's not trying to be accurate to possible history, it's fantasy family entertainment. Switch off your brain and enjoy.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 11:54 AM   #104
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
captcalhoun wrote: View Post
don't forget, Gaius gave Merlin a bacon butty in episode 1...
Well, they had pigs and bread, so...

People calling Uther "Your majesty" get on my wick as well- Henry VIII invented that!
How about this for a BBC4 companion show? A panel game, rules along the lines of Just a Minute, with four distinguished TV historians watching Merlin, buzzing every time they spot a historical inaccuracy. Extra points if any of them gets so het up they have a heart attack.
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 12:14 PM   #105
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

Like I said, it could be worse- it could be Robin Hood, which is just as bad while set in a specific year!
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Adventures With The Wife In Space (Neil Perryman)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
camelot, excalibur, merlin

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.