To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 14 2008, 12:29 AM   #76
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

wamdue wrote: View Post
CaptainWacky wrote: View Post
Arthur's her son. Not a spoiler, just obvious.
that is not where I was going with it, but its possible.

You know what I find amusing about this, is that Merlin doesn't know his place, he seems to know as little about life as a servant as the average viewer. I guess that helps views see the world from his POV, but whilst we are wondering why Uther would have Merlin taste the wine, or why Nimeuh would know that would happen, when that is what would have happened in the past.
Even though Gaius, master of chemistry, was standing right there...
Old October 14 2008, 12:34 AM   #77
wamdue
Admiral

cultsacrifice wrote: View Post
CaptainWacky wrote: View Post
Arthur's her son. Not a spoiler, just obvious.

You know what I find amusing about this, is that Merlin doesn't know his place, he seems to know as little about life as a servant as the average viewer. I guess that helps views see the world from his POV, but whilst we are wondering why Uther would have Merlin taste the wine, or why Nimeuh would know that would happen, when that is what would have happened in the past.
yeah it crossed my mind that Gaius could run some tests, but then I remembered that this isnt CSI, but the distant past where such tests are probaly "uninvented" (ok that is not a word) and the normal thing to do would to be have your man servant test it.
Old October 14 2008, 12:41 AM   #78
cultcross
Say my name...

yeah it crossed my mind that Gaius could run some tests, but then I remembered that this isnt CSI, but the distant past where such tests are probaly "uninvented" (ok that is not a word) and the normal thing to do would to be have your man servant test it.
Well true, professional hazard of mine to think "Bring out the chromatography set" but I just figured that as Gaius has been hyped up as this powerful healer/scientist person he'd at least suggest tests, even if the king over-ruled him because he wanted it settled immediately.

The real reason in universe though seems to be that Uther was just pissed with Merlin and wanted to put him on the spot. Uther's attitude to Merlin seems the single most inconsistent thing in the show. He's his biggest fan when he saves Arthur in episode one, doesn't trust him about the knight's shield in Valiant but then is proved wrong and trusts him again, then in this episode Merlin's just the idiot servant again.
Old October 14 2008, 12:50 AM   #79
wamdue
Admiral

it is odd Merlin has gone down form "hero" to servant in Uthers eyes, but I agree he had Merlin test it, because he was annoyed with him.

and yeah Gaius could have suggested it, of course he did get the chance to run tests, and worked out what was in there.
Old October 21 2008, 11:12 PM   #80
cultcross
Say my name...

Just watched Lancelot. I don't think this show could get any more clichéd at this point. And if you can't afford decent CGI, don't do CGI at all - the attacks by the - well let's face it, its a hippogriff, were appallingly done. The fighting, the actor's eyelines, everything.

Merlin himself got some good stuff this week, as did Gwen. But my biggest gripe was the "first code of camelot" - why is it always the 'frist rule' or 'greatest commandment' or 'prime directive' - why can't it jsut be a rule, is that not dramatic enough?
I would have thought their first rule might be something like 'don't murder the king'.

I'm still trying to put my figner on what it is about this show that makes me watch it every week.
Old October 21 2008, 11:15 PM   #81
wamdue
Admiral

I think the actor who plays Arthur is really good, however I have to agree the CGI on this show is poor to the point its laughable, NBC will not be happy when they see that.
Old October 22 2008, 12:28 AM   #82
Lonemagpie
Writer

Didn't see it this week- was watching Adios Sabata on Bravo...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 09:40 AM   #83
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I thought this episode was the first step down in quality since the start of the series. But I still enjoyed it.
Personally I didn't have a problem with the effects work. Could it have been better? Yes. Did it pull me out of the programme? No.
Old October 22 2008, 11:33 AM   #84
captcalhoun
Admiral

i look forward to Lancelot's inevitable heroic return

i enjoyed it...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 12:57 PM   #85
votd
Commander

I didn't think the CG was that bad considering the budget they have on these productions - at least it's better than Torchwood in that department
Old October 22 2008, 04:50 PM   #86
wamdue
Admiral

votd wrote: View Post
I didn't think the CG was that bad considering the budget they have on these productions - at least it's better than Torchwood in that department
really? I would never have said Torchwood had bad CGI.
Old October 22 2008, 04:54 PM   #87
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

The space whale was pretty bad.
Then again, I suppose it was supposed to be a kinda shapeless blob, which is probably a bit vague for the CGI team.
Old October 22 2008, 05:01 PM   #88
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

I'm enjoying the series for what it is - something to watch with my grandparents on saturday night. Its a little frustrating, because although I have to accept that all of television can't be made for me, Merlin is genre so I pay more attention and therefore its shortcomings irritate me more, especially as I know who all these characters are.

I thought Lancelot was a missed opportunity - he was so BORING as a character. Lancelot has never been a character that I thought could have been interpreted as boring. Hopefully something will happen to him on his travels that changes him into the swashbuckling, queen-stealing civil-warring Lancelot we know from old.

I guess my main problem with the series is that I can't help but feeling that there should be this huge sense of foreboding over the whole thing, since we know how it turns out - who marries who, who betrays who, etc - but there's nothing like that. I guess I'm asking for too much from a family show.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 06:49 PM   #89
wamdue
Admiral

Maniacal Mechanoid wrote: View Post
The space whale was pretty bad.
Then again, I suppose it was supposed to be a kinda shapeless blob, which is probably a bit vague for the CGI team.
fair point, there was some poor blue screen in that episode.
Old October 22 2008, 07:53 PM   #90
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I'm still trying to put my figner on what it is about this show that makes me watch it every week.
For me it's the frocks. Well, all the costuming and the castle, to be honest. I've enjoyed the series so far, except for the Lancelot episode, which I really didn't enjoy at all. Still, I'll be there next Saturday, in front of the telly.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote