RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,250
Members: 25,414
Currently online: 459
Newest member: scotty5884

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old September 28 2008, 10:12 PM   #46
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

Sunday Mirror TV critic Kevin O'Sullivan likes it. he particularly liked the fact that Arthur actually killed Valiant. unlike that namby-pamby PC Robin Hood (so he said).
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 10:15 PM   #47
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Sunday Mirror TV critic Kevin O'Sullivan likes it. he particularly liked the fact that Arthur actually killed Valiant. unlike that namby-pamby PC Robin Hood (so he said).
That is a good point, I took notice of that fact, but didn't quite realise why, so that's probably why.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 10:48 PM   #48
Starkers
Admiral

I think this is something that rises Merlin above Robin Hood for me, admittedly I only saw the first 3 or 4 eps of Hood, but no one ever seemed to die despite all these battles raging. It was like the A-Team only nowhere near as cool!
Old September 28 2008, 10:48 PM   #49
Starkers
Admiral

Is it just me though, or is Tony Head just phoning it in?
Old September 28 2008, 10:54 PM   #50
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft

Starkers wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if that's it, or if it is just the character. Because he seems to be rather stiff and forced a lot of the time, then seems to brighten up in certain scenes. So I'm hoping it's just how the character is written at this point.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
Old September 28 2008, 11:24 PM   #51
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I think this is something that rises Merlin above Robin Hood for me, admittedly I only saw the first 3 or 4 eps of Hood, but no one ever seemed to die despite all these battles raging. It was like the A-Team only nowhere near as cool!
The death count gets much higher at the end of the first season. Robin even starts shooting to kill when its necessary.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2008, 12:45 AM   #52
Zulu Romeo
World Famous Starship Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Zulu Romeo

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if that's it, or if it is just the character. Because he seems to be rather stiff and forced a lot of the time, then seems to brighten up in certain scenes. So I'm hoping it's just how the character is written at this point.
I'll give im the benefit of the doubt. But if he pops round to the castle next door to borrow some coffee, then the show's over, I'm afraid.
Old September 29 2008, 03:02 AM   #53
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
The death count gets much higher at the end of the first season. Robin even starts shooting to kill when its necessary.
Yeah. They even killed Marian. Oh, wait...
Old September 29 2008, 05:51 AM   #54
denmaroca
Captain

A nice, simply plotted piece of entertainment. And that's what the show is designed to do - entertain a wide range of people. It's why it's on in prime-time on a Saturday; and why a US network has picked it up. It's obviously not dark enough or have complex enough plotting to satisfy most SF afficionados - but that stuff turns most people off, which is why genre shows are usually shown off-peak or on minor channels.

There was a fair bit of character delineation (but then that's not hard in a second episode), especially for Arthur. And there might be an ongoing plot point, as I got the impression that there was something physically wrong with Uther - the shock of nearly losing Arthur bringing it out.
denmaroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2008, 06:09 AM   #55
wamdue
Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
about 6 episodes in, the show kills off one of Robins men
Old October 7 2008, 11:44 PM   #56
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft

Has everyone stopped watching, or was there just nothing worth talking about this week?
Old October 8 2008, 12:07 AM   #57
wamdue
Admiral

I watched it, just havnt bothered to review.

the show is getting better, and judging by next weeks episode it will continue to improve, at last a bad guy (girl) who survived the episode, and given her history with Uther, I think we may see alot of her this series.
Old October 8 2008, 07:29 AM   #58
captcalhoun
Admiral

i was lazy and couldn't be botehred to reanimate the thread.

it was quite good. loved the gags that Merlin fancied Gwen and was in denial.

MR = HOT!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 08:08 AM   #59
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I've enjoyed all the episodes. This week's was enjoyable, too. It was nice to see ASH get animated for a change. There was a moment when I thought I was watching Giles. I'm really fond of Richard Wilson's character, and I think the guy playing Merlin is very engaging.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 09:47 AM   #60
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft

I'm enjoying it, too. My nieces seem to be enjoying it as well. I guess they're gonna be going for the love triangle with Arthur/Gwen/Merlin down the road.