RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,201
Currently online: 621
Newest member: KieBH84

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 23 2008, 12:56 PM   #31
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Isn't this supposed to air on NBC later this year? It does seem more in the vein of Robin Hood which is to say it doesn't really feel like something a major US network would air as a series TBH.

Not to say I don't think it has potential, but it seems more like something that would go to a cable network like Sci-Fi or BBC America or air in syndication.
It's been speculated that it's part of a deal the Beeb did with NBC, regarding international production and broadcast, similar to the deal ITV did with Fox, but I don't think think that's been confirmed anywhere.
Old September 23 2008, 03:09 PM   #32
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Coming hot on the heels of Robin Dud and Shitkickers, Merlin was a very pleasant surprise. It's still got plenty of work to do though. The strongest parts were undoubtedly the Merlin/Arthur scenes.

At the end of the day, at the end of the first episode, it hadn't completely turned me off, and I'll be watching it next week. By the same token, at the end of the first episode of Robin Hood I was ready to burn my own eyes out.....
Old September 26 2008, 04:52 AM   #33
roguephoenix
Captain

oddly enough they wanted this show to be robin hood type with magic targetting the same audience.

i like it. some things i wonder why they did it like that and some i agree. i will see where it goes. i'm just not sure what's in store for gueneviere's future...

by the way, great to see evey myles in this one.
roguephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 05:10 AM   #34
Kelthaz
Commodore

It was okay, but it definitely had potential. A pilot with potential ranks pretty high in my books. If it doesn't start utilizing some of that potential by the next season I'll lose interest, but for right now I'm hooked.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 05:06 PM   #35
captcalhoun
Admiral

tonight's looks interesting with Valiant in...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 06:16 PM   #36
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I am really enjoying the actor playing Merlin. He's very charming and charismatic for a young man, and handsome, too. I'm sure he'll go far. I hope so.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 06:51 PM   #37
Lonemagpie
Writer

OK, saw this week's.

Hm... I won't make a point of watching, or buy the inevitable DVDs, but it was harmless enough fun while it was on, so I won't mind if I catch it again either.

I mean, it's nowhere on the level of the stuff I love (DW, Trek, Buffy, Angel, X Files, Firefly, Avengers, B5, B7, BSG, Stargate etc) - but compared to Rotten Hood it was... fuckin' Shaft!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 08:42 PM   #38
captcalhoun
Admiral

good episode...liked the snakes in the shield, although it was obvious he'd kill the bloke who enchanted it...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 08:57 PM   #39
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I'm enjoying it. It's nothing fantastic, but at the minute it seems at least as fun as Primeval. It's just a shame it's not in HD, although according to the BBC HD blog it was filmed in Super16, so it is shot on film at least.
It did seem funny seeing Will Mellor not playing Gaz Wilkinson though.
Old September 28 2008, 02:02 AM   #40
wamdue
Admiral

I would love to say something good about this episode, the castle continues to look too modern, whilst the plot just didnt carry a whole episode, dare I say it maybe we need more on Morgana

and Merlin is just so happy, always seems to look on the bright side of life.
Old September 28 2008, 02:34 PM   #41
DWF
Vice Admiral

and Merlin is just so happy, always seems to look on the bright side of life.
Maybe he's a Monty Python fan.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 07:46 PM   #42
Caleuche
Commander

I believe in the 'Are you looking forward to Merlin' thread I criticized the casting of Victor Meldrew, Merlin and the corruption of Arthurian legend. I believe I also that I said I was looking forward to the Dragon. Having now actually seen the program, I would now like to take that all back.
All in all, it passes the time pleasurably enough. Merlin and Richard Wilson medic-guy were the two most easily likable and well acted characters. Gwen had good repport with Merlin. Tony Head seemed bored by magic/kingy scenes, but perked up for family/pretty lady scenes. The dragon was ropey CGI who says the word 'destiny' far too much. They wasn't enough Arthurian legend left to criticize the corruption! I will continue watching to see where they go with this. My hope is that Morgana's up to something, otherwise I don't see much point in her character.
Caleuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 07:52 PM   #43
wamdue
Admiral

yes Merlin & Gauis work well together, and so does Merlin & Arthur, the problem is whilst those moments are nice, the plots to support them arnt there yet.
Old September 28 2008, 09:15 PM   #44
Starkers
Admiral

Well I thought the second episode was enjoyable enough but this really is lightweight stuff, and Merlin and Arthur are bonding perhaps a touch too quickly, I'm hoping something will come between them sooner or later.

It's not a show I'll ever want to own but its diverting enough before Strictly comes on

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 09:41 PM   #45
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Enjoyable enough. As above, not something I'd pick up on DVD, but something I'd definitely watch if it were on.