Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old November 20 2008, 01:32 AM   #1
Supervisor 194
Captain

Bryan Singer talks about the next Superman film

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/artic...81/story.jhtml
  • MTV: There's a lot of confusion about whether you will be directing another Superman film. Can you set the record straight?
  • Singer: At the moment I can't really talk about that. I wish I could. From my perspective I'm going to take a brief pause. This movie [Valkyrie] has taken a long time so I'm going to take a pause. A movie like that takes some time to do right. That's all I can say about that.

Check out my collection of original comic book art
Supervisor 194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 02:06 AM   #2
Haytil
Captain

Re: Bryan Singer talks about the next Superman film

In other words, when asked to clarify the confusion, Singer simply made it worse.
Haytil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 03:10 AM   #3
T'Baio
Admiral

Actually, he made it obvious it ain't gonna' happen.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 04:13 AM   #4
ancient
Vice Admiral

Were there any pancakes on his head when he said this, because that would've made more sense to me.
Old November 20 2008, 04:36 AM   #5
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Thread should be retitled "Bryan Singer can't talk about the next Superman film."

Personally, I hope Singer will get another shot. Rebooting the franchise shouldn't require bringing in a new director.

Last edited by Bad Bishop; November 20 2008 at 05:30 AM.
Bad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 05:10 AM   #6
theenglish
Rear Admiral

LOL--he should have just answered "No, I can't set the record straight." and let it be.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 06:19 AM   #7
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

There is a large Elephant in the room that is effecting future Superman films. Which fans seem to overlook. A massive lawsuit between the family of Jerry Siegel and DC Comics. Its not just Bryan Singer who is keeping quit on this subject but Warner Bros as well. Singer himself even testified in the trial. On whether the core elements introduced in Action Comics #1 are still the basis of the modern Superman character.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Dream
Admiral

ancient wrote: View Post
Were there any pancakes on his head when he said this, because that would've made more sense to me.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 07:59 AM   #9
Hicks
Captain

Actually, I kind of get the impression he IS still attached.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 09:25 AM   #10
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

I wish they would reboot the entire Superman franchise and start over like Batman.

I was talking to a friend and personally I would have Darkseid as a background villain in the first episode, having him create Superman. Darkseid, in his quest to conquer the galaxy, finds out that a Kryptonian will be a constant thorn in his side (not necessarily his downfall) in his bid to add more planets, including a planet called Earth to his Empire. So he sends a small task force to the planet but before he can slowly infiltrate the planet, it explodes because of seisimic problems. And then you go from there.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 09:35 AM   #11
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

I choose to take this as good news.
Old November 20 2008, 12:42 PM   #12
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
There is a large Elephant in the room that is effecting future Superman films. Which fans seem to overlook. A massive lawsuit between the family of Jerry Siegel and DC Comics. Its not just Bryan Singer who is keeping quit on this subject but Warner Bros as well. Singer himself even testified in the trial. On whether the core elements introduced in Action Comics #1 are still the basis of the modern Superman character.
I didn't even know there was a lawsuit going on at this point. Disregarding AC#1 and looking at the original newspaper comic strips set on Krypton (if it was even called Krypton?) it is pretty obvious that all the core elements are still there in the modern day character.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 02:16 PM   #13
the Dagman
Commodore

theenglish wrote: View Post
Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I didn't even know there was a lawsuit going on at this point. Disregarding AC#1 and looking at the original newspaper comic strips set on Krypton (if it was even called Krypton?) it is pretty obvious that all the core elements are still there in the modern day character.
At this point DC, and Time/Warner their parent company, really needs to just bite the bullet and settle with the Siegels. They have lost the war with the ruling on Action Comics, they should just accept the fact and move on. That way they will stop hampering the current creative people they have on the character. Allow them to create the stories people have been clamoring for and make more money for the company overall. The hamstrings they have put on their creators amounts to DC not liking how the game is being played, so they are leaving and taking their ball (the trademark) with them. They really just need to play and everyone will have fun.
Old November 20 2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Forbin
Admiral

theBolianChef wrote: View Post
I wish they would reboot the entire Superman franchise and start over like Batman.
Not me, 'cause then we'd have to see the goddamn origin story yet again!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 04:58 PM   #15
RookieBatman
Commodore

^I don't understand why we need an origin story every time a franchise is rebooted. Batman I can understand, since the new origin was part and parcel of the story. But someone like Superman, everyone knows the basics, and those are really all that matter for such an iconic character. Why can't we just start with Superman in Metropolis, already active and famous, and tell a good story from there? I don't really see a need to either show his youth or to show him coming back from being gone for five years. He's Superman, he came from another planet as a baby and got superpowers, what more do you need to know?
Actually, I kinda wish other superhero franchises would be a little risky and just show the characters already in business, with maybe some quick explanation or flashbacks. It appears that they're doing this with the Spirit, but that doesn't really count for me because I can't stand Frank Miller as far as I can throw him. But then, if that one works, maybe others will try it.