RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,750
Posts: 5,433,293
Members: 24,838
Currently online: 413
Newest member: Mei'konda

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 21 2008, 01:12 AM   #1
jims kirk
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: England, UK
Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

Whilst watching the closing fight scenes towards the end of the movie, I noticed something dumb.

Once the main bridge had been shot in two, the 'control panel' was on the other side, and the missile launch pad hidden from view. As the Nexus was coming over the top of the mountain, what was the need for Kirk and Picard to want to bother getting the control panel?

Soran was not in sight, the panel was on the other side of the bridge, and as Kirk found out, there would be no way that Soran could have got the control switch, rematerialised the missile, got off the falling bridge, gone round to the missile, gone past Picard and Kirk and fired it into space in the time available and without the pair of them stopping him.

My point is that I hate Kirk's death full stop, but could accept it if all of the actions lead on from each other for a reason. In this case, he jumped for that switch for no reason, as long as the missile was 'invisible' there is no danger, hence Kirk's death is pointless.

Anyone else spot this or any other stupid oversights from the writers?
jims kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 01:14 AM   #2
jims kirk
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: England, UK
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

Sorry mods, you will want to move this to The Movies forum, sorry for misplaced thread!
jims kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 01:21 AM   #3
TK421
Commodore
 
TK421's Avatar
 
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

jims kirk wrote: View Post

Anyone else spot this or any other stupid oversights from the writers?
Aside from the whole dumb movie?

You know, like, if you can step out of the nexus at any point in time, why not cause Soran's mother to have a miscarriage? The end.
__________________
"I know engineers. They love to change things." Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy explaining the accepted canon of why the Starship Enterprise looks so different from time to time.
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 02:42 AM   #4
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

jims kirk wrote: View Post
Sorry mods, you will want to move this to The Movies forum, sorry for misplaced thread!
Should be able to manage that, I think. Hold on...
__________________
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 02:55 AM   #5
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

TK421 wrote: View Post
jims kirk wrote: View Post

Anyone else spot this or any other stupid oversights from the writers?
Aside from the whole dumb movie?

You know, like, if you can step out of the nexus at any point in time, why not cause Soran's mother to have a miscarriage? The end.
Or that the Enterprise got taken out by a 20-year-old Bird of Prey!!!
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 03:00 AM   #6
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

TK421 wrote: View Post
jims kirk wrote: View Post

Anyone else spot this or any other stupid oversights from the writers?
Aside from the whole dumb movie?

You know, like, if you can step out of the nexus at any point in time, why not cause Soran's mother to have a miscarriage? The end.
But then Soran would have never been there to cause you to enter the nexus to do that...

It's one of those headaches when dealing with time travel.
__________________
We first fought... in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change. -Serj Tankian
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 04:35 AM   #7
Praetor_08
Ensign
 
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

jims kirk wrote: View Post
what was the need for Kirk and Picard to want to bother getting the control panel?

Soran was not in sight, the panel was on the other side of the bridge, and as Kirk found out, there would be no way that Soran could have got the control switch, rematerialised the missile, got off the falling bridge, gone round to the missile, gone past Picard and Kirk and fired it into space in the time available and without the pair of them stopping him.

Anyone else spot this or any other stupid oversights from the writers?
Aside from the many errors, oversights, and headaches caused by the writers in this movie... I believe your argument is based on a false assumption.

Based on my understanding, or at least my interpretation. Soran didnt need the control pad, he has already set his plan in motion, by setting the missile on a timer and cloaking it. Once he did that he was done, and only need to keep the Captains from preventing it from go off.

Thats why he shot at Kirk as he was making his way across the bridge to get to the control pad that would have decloaked the missile. Soran didnt care about the control pad anymore, he just didnt want the captains to get. And the reason he ran to the missile after it had decloaked was to make sure picard hadnt done anything.

I base this on the fact that if Soran did indeed still need the control pad he wouldnt have shot at/destroyed the bridge while the pad was on it. And on the belief that it didnt appear that Picard did anything else to the missile beside lock the clamps inplace preventing the missile from leaving when it was fired.
Praetor_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

Indeed. Being cloaked was apparently the ideal state for the launch pad, and would in no way have interfered with the automated launch.

One just wonders if the cloak only hid the pad (as out heroes rather baselessly assumed) or perhaps would have hidden the rocket in flight as well - in which case Worf would have had absolutely no hope of shooting it down even in the best case scenario!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 04:24 AM   #9
leandar
Vice Admiral
 
leandar's Avatar
 
Location: Ft. Smith, AR USA
Send a message via AIM to leandar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to leandar Send a message via Yahoo to leandar
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

I doubt it, unless the probe had a separate cloak of its own but that really seems impractical and cloaking devices seem to be fairly large from what we've seen of them and I doubt Soran would have worried about that very much. I'm sure he knew the odds of shooting the probe down as well as Worf did when he calculated them.
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/leandar

Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average...
leandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 04:54 AM   #10
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

Praetor_08 wrote: View Post
Based on my understanding, or at least my interpretation. Soran didnt need the control pad, he has already set his plan in motion, by setting the missile on a timer and cloaking it. Once he did that he was done, and only need to keep the Captains from preventing it from go off.

Thats why he shot at Kirk as he was making his way across the bridge to get to the control pad that would have decloaked the missile. Soran didnt care about the control pad anymore, he just didnt want the captains to get. And the reason he ran to the missile after it had decloaked was to make sure picard hadnt done anything.
Yes, I agree. We were clearly shown that the missile was on a timed countdown. The only reason Soran cloaked the missile was to prevent Picard (and subsequently Kirk) from being able to shut down the preprogrammed launch -- since he couldn't operate a control panel he couldn't see. If anything, destroying the remote control was in Soran's best interests.

There is one stupid thing about this scene, but it's not that. It's the fact that the characters instantaneously see the sun go out just seconds after the missile's launched -- even though it should take several minutes for the light to travel that distance. (It takes an average of 8.3 minutes for light to get from the Sun to Earth, and since this was an Earthlike planet around a yellow star, it would've had to be a similar distance away.) But then, there's a similar problem with the whole premise, namely that the supernovae have an instantaneous gravitational effect on things light-years away, even though gravity only propagates at the speed of light.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 05:56 AM   #11
leandar
Vice Admiral
 
leandar's Avatar
 
Location: Ft. Smith, AR USA
Send a message via AIM to leandar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to leandar Send a message via Yahoo to leandar
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

If memory serves, it is accurate though with what you would see. I'm sure that the travel time would have just been cut out for dramatic purposes and that it just skipped ahead a few minutes (depending on exactly how far Veridian III was from the sun) and went straight to the explosion cause standing around waiting for the explosion to happen would have really been quite boring.

But then, you probably already knew that.
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/leandar

Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average...
leandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 07:28 AM   #12
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

...cause standing around waiting for the explosion to happen would have really been quite boring.
Indeed. And what would you expect from two elderly men who had just finished a physically demanding yet inconclusive fight and were quite winded? One of them had just reached the goal of his entire life (or what had been his goal for some 80 years, at least) and only needed to stand on a platform and wait. Another had failed in his attempt to save half a billion people. Neither of the two would be inclined to do much else besides stand, breathe heavily, and wait, for those 5-10 minutes it would take for the darkness to catch up with them....

It's perfectly possible to assume that those boring minutes were indeed cut!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 02:38 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

Hard to believe, though, that Picard wouldn't have made some attempt to find a self-destruct control for the missile. Unless we assume the missile made a warp jump to get to the sun in seconds, rather than taking minutes or hours to get there at sublight.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 12:30 AM   #14
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

He'd probably gotten the crap kicked out of him...
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 05:13 AM   #15
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral
 
Haggis and tatties's Avatar
 
Location: Glasgow
Re: Just ReWatched Generations and this bugged me...

What gets me about Generation is that after Soran has won and has made it back into the nexus, Picard can now somehow change all this and reset everything and go against Soran's wishes while he is actually in the Nexus.

Strange one that one, still with Generations your better just grabbing a big bag of popcorn and switching off, save all those headaches...
__________________

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.