Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 16 2014, 11:12 PM   #181
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: "Planet of the Titans" Revisited

Missing tick? Perhaps he meant 40" underbelly?
Old July 16 2014, 11:33 PM   #182
JJTrek4ever!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It appears to me that trevanian is saying that ILM considered fabricating a 40' underbelly miniature for the Star Destroyer flyover but ultimately decided against it because the existing 3' SD model provided a sufficiently convincing effect as far as Lucas/Dykstra/Whoever was concerned.
JJTrek4ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 12:18 AM   #183
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Yeah, the giant underbelly (which I've heard described as planned to be either 30' or 40' in length) would have been built custom for the opening flyover, but Edlund kept playing with lenses while having the model guys do a superfine detailing job on the 3' model, and what you see on screen looks awfully fine indeed.

I'm of the opinion that even the giant one wouldn't have worked as well, because you'd've had to cut before seeing the engines and the back top of the ship.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 01:28 AM   #184
JJTrek4ever!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

trevanian wrote: View Post
I'm of the opinion that even the giant one wouldn't have worked as well, because you'd've had to cut before seeing the engines and the back top of the ship.
Perhaps Lucas could have used a full-frame whiteout from the weapons fire to seamlessly switch between miniatures when the mocon camera reached the stern of the 40' footer?
JJTrek4ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 01:32 AM   #185
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Ah, the proposed 40' underbelly. Gotcha.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 04:45 AM   #186
trevanian
Rear Admiral

JJTrek4ever! wrote: View Post
Perhaps Lucas could have used a full-frame whiteout from the weapons fire to seamlessly switch between miniatures when the mocon camera reached the stern of the 40' footer?
Yeah, that approach worked for the dive into the trench, bridging from a matte painting incorporating a still photo to the physical miniature, with lasers covering the blink.

Or ... I think there's a bit of lens flare on the engines anyway. You could build on that, too. You could just bring a light off-camera in the right orientation to get a flare coming from above as you get near the back end of the 40' and use the big-flash moment of flare to transition out.

I'm awash with practical solutions today, I got to spend a few hours at Laika looking at their BOX TROLLS sets and figures (I think it is the first time since 1996 and FIRST CONTACT that I've been on a model stage) and I was totally blown away by how much they get in-camera (though their CG end of things is not a bunch of slouches either. They use a couple forms of 3d printing - one of which bakes the color in throughout an object, so when you break it the color is still in there, and which has a translucency that gives you a better flesh tone than you'd expect with stop motion figures, sort of a real-world version of subsurface scattering.)
Old July 17 2014, 08:10 AM   #187
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Yeah, that approach worked for the dive into the trench, bridging from a matte painting incorporating a still photo to the physical miniature, with lasers covering the blink.
I always see the "jump" in that shot.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old July 17 2014, 09:22 AM   #188
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

even with the jump that may be there, that shot is brilliant filmmaking
Old July 17 2014, 01:58 PM   #189
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
I always see the "jump" in that shot.
The jump isn't what bothered me about it opening day (and since, though to a lesser degree), it is that the shot looks like you're moving in on a still image for the first half (which it is.)

The deadness of it is just so off compared with all the shots around it (and the second half, which is a great bit of rollercoastering) that I think it is something where people became so interested in solving the shot technically they let slip the point of the thing (kind of like the taun-taun across the snow near the beginning of EMPIRE - yeah, they were able to track a location plate and put a stop-motion character in, but it still didn't look RIGHT.)
Old July 17 2014, 02:17 PM   #190
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
The biggest Star Destroyer model I know of is the edge of the Super Star Destroyer seen at the end of Empire, which I've seen in person.
Yes, me too. Marin County Fair July 1988?
Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 04:10 PM   #191
pfontaine2
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I never realized that the trench shot in Star Wars was in fact two shots tied together by a "flash" until many years later. I was so taken by dynamics of the shot that it slipped by me entirely.

Now that I know what to look for, I see that the first half of the shot doesn't change perspective as the camera moves towards it. It's only after the "flash" that the perspective changes because the camera was actually moving around a model by that point.

It was an audacious shot to pull off and I'm certain 99% of the viewers never realizes what's actually going on. I heartily recommend purchasing the Star Wars double issue of Cinefantastique if anyone wants to know in excruciating detail what was involved to get that film made.
pfontaine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 08:39 PM   #192
Maurice
Vice Admiral

It's hardly the worst shot in the movie, despite the hiccup, and given the rush they were in, it's unsurprising it's not better. Most people don't know this, but during post they compressed Luke's two trench runs into one, which cut out a lot of effects shots (giveaway: "They coming in much faster this time. We can't hold them.").

P.S. This is documented in The Making of Star Wars book and the two trench runs appear in the shooting script (not the one published in The Art of Star Wars, which was edited into a continuity script close to the finished film).
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; July 17 2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Added a P.S.
Old July 17 2014, 10:13 PM   #193
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

My relationship with special effects is odd. I kind of like shots that are "so close to being perfect and yet something is still off." Unlike a lot of "perfect" shots done with computers today, it reminds me that I'm still looking at the product of human hands, but if the shot is good enough, the flaw that reminds me that's fake won't actually remove me from the artifice of the film. If the shot is badly done, I wouldn't buy into the artifice from the get go.

An example is when I saw Batman as a kid. I could always kind of tell that the Batwing was a miniature, and, even as a kid, I could almost see them using black electrical tape on the model, and it still felt large somehow, and I bought into it, despite possible glimpses into what went into it.

These days, if something is CG, I usually can tell, especially if there's lots of CG, and the idea that it was just done on a computer is so unimpressive despite how much more perfect it is.
Old July 17 2014, 11:26 PM   #194
Shat Happens
Captain

Took me more than 20 years to notice (or being pointed to me) that Kruge's fall into the lava was made in two stages too.

When I learned that, I admired even more their craft.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 11:26 PM   #195
Shat Happens
Captain

Took me more than 20 years to notice (or being pointed to me) that Kruge's fall into the lava was made in two stages too.

When I learned that, I admired even more their craft.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote