Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 27 2014, 03:00 AM   #151
pfontaine2
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: "Planet of the Titans" Revisited

I thought this might be a nice place to share this paper model I designed a few years back. I'm not a huge fan of the McQuarrie/Adams Enterprise but I wanted to build one anyways to see if I could match the paintings. This is what I came up with. It's very small, only about 5 inches wide but it seems to be a very good match.
pfontaine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 03:19 AM   #152
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

pfontaine2 wrote: View Post
I thought this might be a nice place to share this paper model I designed a few years back. I'm not a huge fan of the McQuarrie/Adams Enterprise but I wanted to build one anyways to see if I could match the paintings. This is what I came up with. It's very small, only about 5 inches wide but it seems to be a very good match.
Great job.
Old June 27 2014, 03:38 AM   #153
Creepy Critter
Admiral

pfontaine2 wrote: View Post
That's beautiful. Very well done.
Old June 27 2014, 12:39 PM   #154
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Nicely done. However, as I've noted before, I think that version is a McQuarrie take on the design and not one that appeared much. The one Adam seemed to sketch was the much better proportioned small-bodied one with the big nacelles.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 01:55 PM   #155
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
I have more to post on this... but I didn't want to do it all in one message: figured I'd see if there was any interest.

I agree that I like Adam's renderings of his designs better. They feel sleeker than McQuarrie's take. I would've loved to get my hands on the study models...where they sold at the auctions?

I edited the Planet of Titans entry on Memory Alpha to make it more accurate, and also corrected some of the captions which attributes the Titans designs to Phase II (and added an entry for Study Models, since they erroneously referred to the study models as Studio Models), and I revised their entry on McQuarrie to correct Titans errors there, and to add mention of his work on Star Trek VI. Whew!

There's an entry on the project in "The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made".
I just read the synopsis for the movie, and I will say that I'd preferred that Planet Of The Titans was the movie made instead of caca like The Motion Picture

As to Mifune...I love the man. I love him in High and Low in particular, amongst many great performances. I was thrilled when I picked up a capsule toy in Japan and opened it to find it was Mifune as his nameless Samurai from Yojimbo...in black and white! Yay!
Seconded. Mifune was an amazing actor.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 02:34 PM   #156
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I think that version is a McQuarrie take on the design and not one that appeared much.
Seeing it like this makes me wonder how much Star Wars had been on McQuarrie's mind. The wedge-shaped main hull does have characteristics of a SW vehicle and the ST elements look somewhat added on.

The one Adam seemed to sketch was the much better proportioned small-bodied one with the big nacelles.
Do you have a sketch or the like which illustrates that? Thus far I think I've only seen the McQuarrie proposals.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 06:41 AM   #157
trevanian
Rear Admiral

There are a couple sketches in THE ART OF STAR TREK.

And here
http://gullcottageonline.com/CostDesg.html
is one about halfway down the page, with the shuttlebay interior below that (and below that, ATLANTIS from SPY WHO LOVED ME, which practically has warp pontoons.)

There are three sketches partway down this page
http://obviousmag.org/archives/2007/02/ken_adam.html

His Saucer interior is INSANE, like a French airport or a hamster habitrail inside a primary hull, with everything OPEN. Apparently Kaufman wanted a shot that started on the bridge and then looked out and down through the whole saucer.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 07:25 AM   #158
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I think that version is a McQuarrie take on the design and not one that appeared much.
Seeing it like this makes me wonder how much Star Wars had been on McQuarrie's mind. The wedge-shaped main hull does have characteristics of a SW vehicle and the ST elements look somewhat added on.

The one Adam seemed to sketch was the much better proportioned small-bodied one with the big nacelles.
Do you have a sketch or the like which illustrates that? Thus far I think I've only seen the McQuarrie proposals.

Bob

The top study model (with nacelles flipped around at some point) is the one most people associate with the film from two of McQuarrie's renderings.

What you see in most of Adam's sketches seen to date skews towards the second one, as seen at the bottom of the page below.

They might both be McQuarrie concepts, they both might've started with Adam, either way, it seems there was a preference for the second one in most of the sketches we've seen.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 01:34 PM   #159
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ Many thanks. If the assumptions are correct, then I'm relieved to see that apparently Ken Adam had a better understanding for appropriate Enterprise proportions than Ralph McQuarrie, IMHO.

Bob
Old June 29 2014, 03:09 AM   #160
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I've owned pretty much all the Adam books at one point or other, even the one when his stuff was on exhibition, and it seems his Ent sketches pre-date all the McQuarrie work, which suggests they were evolving in a bad direction IMO. Then again, they might not have used the mcq stuff at all, as kaufman has a tendency to throw stuff away wholesale, be it writers or six figure motion control systems (both went largely bye bye on THE RIGHT STUFF.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2014, 11:42 AM   #161
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I love the look of the PotT Enterprise, always have since I saw it in the Phase II reference book I got years ago.

In my own personal continuity, I have it that Starfleet did indeed design and build such a ship and designated it the Titan-Class (which I chose since it was designed for PotT) since it was the largest ship built by Starfleet at the time (with the Titan being commissioned in 2265). A purpose-built deep space explorer, she was designed to last for years out in the depths of uncharted space, away from support.

The Titan was placed under the expert command of Number One, which was why she didn't assume command of the Enterprise, or why she wasn't at hand to help Pike return to Talos.
Old June 29 2014, 03:38 PM   #162
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^Actually, we see her as a Commodore in issue #1 of John Byrne's Star Trek photonovel/fumetti comic book from IDW, talking to Kirk & Co post-mission on a viewscreen.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 11:13 AM   #163
Robert Comsol
Commodore

It never ceases to amaze me, that we saw the stern part of this ship in Earth Spacedock in ST III:TSFS.

Maybe that's where the Starfleet Museum is located, too, and that's why Morrow had the Enterprise anchor there (to become the latest addition of the SFM?)

Bob
Old July 6 2014, 01:40 PM   #164
austen_pierce
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
It never ceases to amaze me, that we saw the stern part of this ship in Earth Spacedock in ST III:TSFS.

Maybe that's where the Starfleet Museum is located, too, and that's why Morrow had the Enterprise anchor there (to become the latest addition of the SFM?)

Bob
Yep... I was wondering when this pic would find its way onto this thread. Research into what the heck I was looking at in this scene from TSFS is what led me to discover PotT and the two study models. Again, I'm a starship junkie.

I wish PotT had been made into a feature film as conceived. Let TMP then be a reboot. The two don't need to be connected. More Trek is never a bad thing.
Old July 6 2014, 02:49 PM   #165
Christopher
Writer

^Oh, holy cow, I see it, in the background just below and left of the Enterprise. You mean that's the study model for the Adam/McQuarrie "Star Destroyer" ship?

Hmm... I suppose, in-universe, it could be a descendant of the "Warp Delta" ships seen in Enterprise. Although in reality it's probably the other way around.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote