Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night"
Excellent 105 69.08%
Above Average 35 23.03%
Average 8 5.26%
Below Average 2 1.32%
Poor 2 1.32%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 21 2008, 09:36 PM   #271
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night - SPOILER Thread

DarkShinobi wrote: View Post
Ooh, then I take it back. She photographs well, but I was very unimpressed by her in what I saw of Samurai Girl. She's nowhere near the ballpark personality-wise..
I guess that's why they call them actors.

That's part of what I meant -- I was trying to say tactfully that I didn't think she could act particularly well.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 03:09 AM   #272
Ferd Burfel
Lieutenant Commander

I know I'm late to the game, but the book was excellent. I finished Orion's Hounds and decided to skip forward to it because I was so ready to read it. It took me two sessions. I started it IMMEDIATELY after OH and read 3/4 of it. I went to bed and woke up and finished it and IMMEDIATELY started Mere Mortals. I have tomorrow off so Mere Mortals will be finished tonight.

It was so easy to read because it kept moving so fast. I was wondering how effective all the threads would be in a novel that didn't look very thick at first glance, but my questions were answered promptly.

My biggest like was that the Borg more or less remained the McGuffin. We had lots of story and character action without really seeing much of the Borg. I know this will change, but through a book and a half I'm happy to see the Borg aren't the ones driving the story, our heroes are. I was worried about "another Borg story" but this is far from. Great job, great novel.

Don't just challenge what they think, challenge how they think.
Ferd Burfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2008, 10:43 PM   #273
Marie1
Rear Admiral

I just bought this and I'm so excited I had to post something... but seriously looking at the back, and after this thread, I'm very intrigued... *exciteddddd*
Vote: RA Avatar Contest #21!
"He sings lounges? I'm not familiar with that musical form."
-Taran'atar, DS9-R Mission Gamma 3 --Save Taran'atar!
Marie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 02:58 PM   #274
JD
Admiral

Trust me, you're in for a very good read.
Old November 1 2008, 02:13 PM   #275
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG

Just finished Gods of Night... Gotta say, this is sure to go down in TrekLit history as one of the greatest stories\series thus far!

I didn't read KM (not that keen on ENT-era novels), so this was my first TrekLit exposure to the Columbia crew and it did NOT disappoint, as the events (not to spoil anyhting) had me at the edge of my seat.

I think that David Mack has outdone himself (yet again )... at least unbtil I get to read Mere Mortals
RonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2008, 06:27 PM   #276
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Hope the rest of trilogy continues to please.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 12:02 AM   #277
Marie1
Rear Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ I have one class over the summer and then I will graduate with degrees Business Administration and Public Administration both.

Up to Chapter 13.
Yay, you're almost done! I'll be done in December (tho they won't give me my piece of paper til May )... albeit with an Arts (ENG) degree... you should have no trouble finding work NX!!

I'm about halfway through... trying to slow down a bit so I can stop thinking about Soul Key for a bit longer...

Just Died wrote: View Post
Trust me, you're in for a very good read.
You are indeed correct! Very good intro to this trilogy.

Before this novel I didn't have a "healthy" fear of the Borg. As Sloan reminded me in Abyss- "we've beaten them" more than once. I just thought SF could... replicate old fashion cannons or something. Yes, the Borg have assimilated billions of people, but we always found a way to stop them. They always seemed... dangerous, but kinda childish somehow- always trying to make everything their way.

Honestly, in this novel, I've been "afraid" of the Borg for the first time; their ideas, their actions. (First time in a while in the ST universe I've felt sad and teary too, not since... Ties of Blood and Water maybe?) Despite my abhorrence of the Sad emotion. It takes a lot of talent for a book to make me sad, or evoke fear.
Old November 3 2008, 02:44 AM   #278
JD
Admiral

Yeah, David has done a great job with the Borg. It takes alot to make them feel like a real threat again, and this book has managed to do that. IMO it's the best Borg story since First Contact.
Old November 3 2008, 09:09 AM   #279
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

I finally got around to starting the book on Friday and I'm done already. I can't remember the last time I finished a 400+ page book in a weekend. What a great read. All 4 story lines were compelling. I had purposefully not been reading any comments on the book before hand because I didn't want any spoilers and didn't want to be disapointed because the hype was too much but so I didn't know a lot going in other than it featured the 4 captains on the covers and there was some amount of borg stuff but that was it. I think even if I had started buying into the hype it would have met those expectations. I was one of the people voting as "excellent". I don't really have much to add that hasn't been said earlier. Just some comments on what's been said:

- I had no issues with Dax as captain. I didn't question it in the book and when it came up here I was like "I'll just skip over this argument..."

- Yeah, Ree was kind of acting like a jerk but Riker was basically blowing off his XO and CMO because of his wifes feelings. When Vale was saying this was the situation Riker said would never happen and that arguement gets interrupted by the ship dropping out of warp, well, I'm hoping that thread gets picked up again, if not in the next 2 books then the next Titan book.

I've got the 2nd book but I'm going to read something else in between. I don't want to be in a situation where I've blasted through the first two books and need to wait three weeks for the next one to come out. I picked up Greg Cox's CSI book so I think that will be next. Hopefully I'll find the Ward and Dilmore 4400 book after I've read the 2nd Destiny book.

And I got a huge laugh when I started looking at this thread today. I saw one person had voted "Poor" and I thought to myself "I bet I know who that is". I was right.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 10:55 PM   #280
nx1701g
Admiral

Marie1 wrote: View Post
^ I have one class over the summer and then I will graduate with degrees Business Administration and Public Administration both.
Yay, you're almost done! I'll be done in December (tho they won't give me my piece of paper til May )... albeit with an Arts (ENG) degree... you should have no trouble finding work NX!!
English degree, you shouldn't either. Consider contacting the Communications and PR Departments of local universities and politicians (if in the US - not sure about elsewhere).
Old November 4 2008, 12:08 AM   #281
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Marie1 wrote: View Post
... you should have no trouble finding work NX!!
English degree, you shouldn't either.
Ha!
Old November 4 2008, 12:50 AM   #282
nx1701g
Admiral

^ At my university they hired an English Major (she hasn't had a previous job) as a member of the PR staff of the university. Actually I've read of such openings at several universities (she's starting off a 60,000 btw).
Old November 4 2008, 03:16 AM   #283
Marie1
Rear Admiral

Thanks Steve...

Old November 5 2008, 07:55 PM   #284
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I picked up a copy on holiday in San Diego last week. I'm not going to get into drawn out reviews, but I really enjoyed it. I'm still unhappy about what was done to Janeway, and I hated seeing another character die (in a good way) but it really is a great novel.

I started reading it when I boarded the first leg of my flight home, and finished it before we touched down in the UK. It's a really page-turner. Thanks for a great book.
Old November 7 2008, 11:51 PM   #285
JD
Admiral

I finished the book the night before last, and I LOVED IT! It is easily one of my favorite books I've ever read. I thought all of the storylines were really interesting, and all of the characters and situations were handled very well. I don't really feel like writing a full in depth review right now, but I might later this weekend.
Rating excellent (9.5/10)