New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night"
Excellent 105 68.63%
Above Average 36 23.53%
Average 8 5.23%
Below Average 2 1.31%
Poor 2 1.31%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 9 2008, 07:58 PM   #211
JeremyW
Commander

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night - SPOILER Thread

Well, in the first 100 pages of the novel, you were introduced to a mystery, the Columbia had come under attack by Romulans, Troi learned she was going to miscarry again, the Enterprise blew up a cube, and two officers on the Aventine were killed mysteriously on the wreck of the Columbia. Ever try watching a show like Dallas? I chose not to add this in my review, but the pacing of the book is akin to that of a serial program like Dallas or Dynasty (personally, I'd use the Dallas analgoy). There are multiple plots going on, and some are accelerating faster than others. For each section of the book, there's character drama, a mystery, and an action event that keeps the story going nicely...not introducing you to anything before it's needed. Yes, in this part of the book, Dave's doing a quick job of finishing up loose ends from Titan's Sword of Damocles and moving the story along from Greater Than The Sum. Dax and the Aventine were alluded to in Greater Than The Sum, although Dax's story from where she was on DS9 to her position as Captain now is forthcoming in the Deep Space Nine post-finale literature. To keep those plot elements a surprise, they couldn't be referenced here, only vague allusions. As the novel progresses, you find that these characters and these multiple stories will all make sense, and when they do, you want it to continue, but then you see that The story will continue in 'Mere Mortals' and you're like "WHAT THE?!" Just like in Dallas, the writers had to create the characters that, although NOT necessarily members of the Ewing family, they had to be believable that they could have a relationship TO the family. It couldn't just be about J.R screwing everybody around in Dallas, whether it be man or woman. That would have been boring. It's cause and effect. Dave's done a great job with this story, and the cause/effect relationship works well here. I'm sorry you're not liking it too much so far. Finish it through, and then decide.

Yes, there are characters that you may not be aware of, if you have not read some of the post-Nemesis TNG literature, the Titan literature or even some of the post-DS9 literature. The crew of the Columbia were introduced fully in Kobayashi Maru, earlier this fall. Feel free to ask around if you're unsure about someone. There are many people here that could help fill you in.
Old October 9 2008, 11:38 PM   #212
Steve Roby
Commodore

spocksbrain wrote: View Post
Somebody please tell me that something of interest happens ...
It's possible that this just isn't the book for you, but part of what the book is about is making you care about the characters, and it worked perfectly on that level for me. Oh, and between a hundred pages into the first book and the end of the trilogy, a whole hell of a lot happens. Body count in the billions, whole worlds destroyed. Painful experiences for a lot of the main characters. Suspense. Action. Heroism and betrayal. All that big epic stuff.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 12:13 AM   #213
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Corran Horned wrote: View Post
I very much enjoyed this book.
Glad to hear it!

I did have some questions...what was the mechanism that the mutineers used to destroy the third city (not where they were nor where Hernandez was)?
An improvised explosive device that was merely meant to be a distraction/diversion when detonated inside one node of the Caeliar's planetary apparatus ended up causing much more damage, because the MACOs underestimated the amount of energy that would be released as a consequence.

Are we to assume Foyle died along with the rest of the crew onboard Columbia?
Yes.

Hernandez and the aliens ended up way out where the Titan found them, The Columbia ended up in the Gamma Quadrant after passing through that tunnel, where did the third group (the mutineers that stayed on the city that survived) end up?
Good question.

Nice work on giving the origin of the Azure Nebula, btw.
Glad you liked that. To give credit where it's due, that was actually a suggestion from Christopher L. Bennett. Originally, I had hidden Erigol inside the nebula. Christopher pointed out that the supernova would disperse the nebula's gases; he suggested instead that I have the destruction of Erigol be the origin of the nebula.

This, of course, necessitated hastily informing the writers who were working on Enterprise-era books not to reference the Azure Nebula prior to 2168.

All in all, I really liked this book. I feel silly for having had reservations. I've never disliked a David Mack work (Harbinger is one of my favorite ST books) and I shouldn't have doubted.
I'm happy to hear you feel it was money well spent.

Thanks for your comments!

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 08:06 PM   #214
jezor
Lieutenant Commander

Having purchased this on Fictionwise and devoured it within a day (I read on my Palm TX, by the by), I wanted to weigh in to tell David how much I enjoyed it. While I generally resent the idea of a 1/3 book (as in, first of a trilogy), this one had enough substance to it that while I am impatient for the next two books, I'm not unhappy having purchased this one.

More to the point, David very solidly managed the multiple plot lines, stretching literally over parsecs, and ensured each crew had its own unique voice(s). The subplot about Will and Deanna's conception issues was a welcome change from the "medical science cures everything instantly" we've grown to expect, and adds a very interesting dynamic to that already unusual crew mix on Titan, as well as being a callback to an otherwise forgettable episode early in TNG. I also liked the dynamic of Hernandez' crew, particularly the conflict between the Fleeters and the MACOs.

Once again, thanks for an entertaining first of three, and I look forward to the next two. {ProfJonathan}
Touro Law Center
jezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 08:20 PM   #215
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ I'm glad you dug it. Thanks for your comments!

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 08:22 PM   #216
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I finished this book on Monday, after managing to space it out over several readings (I think I managed to milk about 5 days out of it, which is surprising). I loved it all. I'm only bummed that there wasn't even more action, but then I keep telling myself that there's two more books to go. This does a great job at setting the stage, re-introducing the characters and laying the groundwork for what I assume will be a huge climax and finale.

There were times when I wasn't sure which crew I wanted to follow. I really wanted to stick with the Enterprise and follow the Borg invasion, and felt that maybe the Titan crew had the least interesting story of the bunch, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it all. It would be really nice to see the Enterprise and Titan team up at some point in the trilogy - we'll see what happens.

I'm just happy that we only have to wait a few weeks (instead of a few months) for the next book.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 01:44 AM   #217
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

David Mack wrote: View Post
Chi'pok wrote: View Post
Foyle... any relation to Gully Foyle of Alfred Bester fame?
Nope. Major Foyle — and several other characters in the trilogy — are named in honor of characters from various mystery series and police procedural TV shows, some British, some American.
Oh, excellent! As a Foyle's War fan, I was always thinking of that show all the way through, but period British police shows don't typically get name-dropped in Star Trek novels.

"My name's Foyle. I'm a police officer."

EDIT: Between that and Mirren, I should have realized, though. Duh.

Last edited by Stevil2001; October 11 2008 at 01:55 AM.
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 08:07 AM   #218
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

I absolutely enjoyed this book a lot. I thought that David Mack did an absolutely fantastic job of balancing the storylines and the plot points. The characters were excellent and each one of them were written wonderfully. It opens up a lot of interesting situations and scenarios and I personally don't see them getting wrapped up within the three novels.

I do agree that it was nice that some of the mysteries were wrapped up by the end of the book. There are a few that still need to be answered (like how the Borg found the tunnels, if indeed they are using them, which looks likely). There are some other ramifications that need to be sorted out as well, like what is going to happen to the Titan. I pray and hope that no one simply 'resets' this like nothing happened. I feel like Troi, Riker, or part of the crew is going to be pushed and forced to make a decision that will ultimately shake up the entire crew and that the next Titan book some of the regulars we've seen won't be there anymore. I don't think it's possible for Vale, Troi, Riker and Rees to all continue working together without some unforseen event. Something has to give and Vale's assertions were correct.

The same goes with Picard. He's been driven to the edge and I like that. There are questions of capability that I enjoyed. Crusher seemed a little off but nothing major. I think mostly it was spot on characterization.

All in all a wonderful book.

My last question posed is this: While not ideal, why doesn't Riker and Troi adopt a child? I know they can't implant one of Troi's eggs in someone else because they are mutated but why didn't this pop up? I know it's not the ideal solution but with such an advanced society and such, is adoption still frowned upon? Or even occur in the 24th century?
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 08:42 AM   #219
LaBarre
Commander

Guys, I know this seems stupid, but I'm a Star Trek fan purely through the TNG series, movies and novels. So, my knowledge of 22nd century Starfleet is sadly lacking. Hence, my surprise by the MACO. It didn't affect my reading of GoN because I sort of had Major Foyle and crew sorted out as Marines in my head (as in Alien or BG).

What I can't figure out is what the acronym MACO stands for. And it's driving me crazy!

Please put this anal-retentive lawyer out of her misery.
LaBarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 09:08 AM   #220
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Military Assault Command Operations
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 10:22 AM   #221
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Just Died wrote: View Post
He's not saying you can't express your opinion, he's just telling us not to bother responding to you.

Zing! Good one!

I love when someone post, someone else disagrees ,then the first poster whines about some percieved violation of free speech or whatnot.

It's true what William Leisner said...that debate could trun into some silly 3 page debate about space battles nobody knows about and then McCain/Obama and the Iraq war come up.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 02:11 PM   #222
Baerbel Haddrell
Commodore

theBoilingChef wrote: View Post

My last question posed is this: While not ideal, why doesn't Riker and Troi adopt a child? I know they can't implant one of Troi's eggs in someone else because they are mutated but why didn't this pop up? I know it's not the ideal solution but with such an advanced society and such, is adoption still frowned upon? Or even occur in the 24th century?

Maybe they will consider adoption later if all other options have failed. I can understand that they don`t want to give up hope yet. Even if there is really no way to tweak Deanna`s eggs so that they can be used, there is nothing wrong with Deanna`s womb. Even today, women who can`t use their eggs can have a donated egg fertilized with the huband`s sperm. I have heard of cases in which the mother donated eggs to the daughter. In the news there was a report a while ago of a woman who gave birth to her own grandchild. In that case, her daughter had viable eggs but no womb. In the Star Trek universe, there should be even more options.

Nevertheless, of course there is nothing wrong with adoptions and also couples who are natural parents also adopt. I don`t know if this is also an official adoption but in NF Captain Calhoun adopted an orphaned boy who lives with him on the ship. I don`t live in America but that adoption is frowned upon is new to me. It certainly shouldn`t.

It occurred to me later, Worf was adopted by human parents. This is another example

Last edited by Baerbel Haddrell; October 11 2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added something
Baerbel Haddrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 02:38 PM   #223
Christopher
Writer

I absolutely enjoyed this book a lot. I thought that David Mack did an absolutely fantastic job of balancing the storylines and the plot points. The characters were excellent and each one of them were written wonderfully. It opens up a lot of interesting situations and scenarios and I personally don't see them getting wrapped up within the three novels.
Which is why we have A Singular Destiny, Over a Torrent Sea, Full Circle, and Losing the Peace next year. Or, as we refer to them collectively, "Cleaning Up Dave's Mess."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 06:07 PM   #224
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

I'm about halfway through now, and I'm really liking the Columbia and her crew's storyline. I'll admit to not being a big fan of Titan and her crew, but I wasn't a big Riker/Troi fan when TNG was on, so that's not surprising.

I do wish I'd read Greater Than The Sum first for the TNG crew background story! I bought it last night so it's next

In all, an enjoyable read so far
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 07:13 PM   #225
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Which is why we have A Singular Destiny, Over a Torrent Sea, Full Circle, and Losing the Peace next year. Or, as we refer to them collectively, "Cleaning Up Dave's Mess."
Yep I can't wait to read them because frankly, this is so massive that I know I won't be disappointed if it all doesn't wrap up at the end or at least some of the minor plot points.

Are they going to have a spin off novel with the Avertine? I can't remember
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote