Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night"
Excellent 105 69.08%
Above Average 35 23.03%
Average 8 5.26%
Below Average 2 1.32%
Poor 2 1.32%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 8 2008, 09:27 PM   #196
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Destiny - Gods Of Night REVIEW (NOTE: SPOILERS ABROAD!!

Ah, yes.

P.S. — As long as you're retconning, the name of the engineer on Titan is Torvig — his species is called Choblik.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 09:36 PM   #197
JeremyW
Commander

AH SON OF A..........GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

No wonder you guys have editors...I guess the last thing needed is another Warpath hiccup, eh? Thanks for keeping an eye out for it. I only wrote several thousand words...how you managed to write 400 000 of them...wow, I tip my hat. LOL

NOTE: The second ret-con has been done. Hopefully I haven't screwed anything else up. Just checked to make sure I spelled Caeliar right. Phew! (I guess after looking at a keyboard for 3 consecutive hours typing this up that words become other words, and whatnot...wait, I write 25 page religious studies papers..I know that feeling)

*going to walk away now before I put my foot in my mouth or something*
Old October 8 2008, 09:42 PM   #198
Marco Palmieri
Rear Admiral

JeremyW wrote: View Post
No wonder you guys have editors...I guess the last thing needed is another Warpath hiccup, eh?
Except that the "Warpath hiccup" was the editor's fault.

"Pessimism is a misuse of imagination."
Marco Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 09:51 PM   #199
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Marco Palmieri wrote: View Post
No wonder you guys have editors...I guess the last thing needed is another Warpath hiccup, eh?
Except that the "Warpath hiccup" was the editor's fault.
We'll spank the editor later.
Old October 8 2008, 09:56 PM   #200
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

This was the book where Geddy Lee joined Starfleet, right?
Old October 8 2008, 10:07 PM   #201
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Since we already have a review thread on this book, I'm going to merge the two.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 10:18 PM   #202
JeremyW
Commander

Okay...sounds good.
Old October 8 2008, 10:36 PM   #203
David Mack
Writer

Corran Horned wrote: View Post
This was the book where Geddy Lee joined Starfleet, right?
Indeed. And look for namesakes of his cohorts hidden elsewhere in the narrative....

Old October 8 2008, 11:53 PM   #204
Judith Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

Phew! Now that that's done with, let the discussion begin. Anybody who wants it in its non-chopped mode, email me and I'll send the document over to you. Feel free to use at your leisure.

Wow. Just...wow. I've already read the book twice. Now I think I'm going to go back and read it a third time with your notes at my side.

Thanks for sharing.
Judith Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2008, 03:26 AM   #205
casey
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night - SPOILER Thread

I have been lurking for a long time, but decided that Destiny is enough to bring me out of hiding and finally register.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I ended up reading it in one sitting, even though I wanted to space it out so I did not have to wait as long for Mere Mortals but I simply couldn't do it.

First the Dax storyline. I am liking her as captain. I admit to being a bit skeptical at first, but it immediately worked when I started reading it.

Second, I really liked the Columbia storyline. I didn't particularly like Hernandez in Enterprise and didn't really find her or her crew all that interesting in Kobayashi Maru, but David did an excellent job with her characterization her. And I found this storyline to be a standout for me. I really enjoyed the Caeliar and found them to be a believable representation of what such an advanced race might be capable of. I think the continuation of their story is what I am most excited about for the next book.

Finally I also thought the Troi/Riker issues were well handled. My wife and I are dealing with somewhat similiar issues (well, minus genetic damage from being impregnated by an alien) and this really resonated with me. And I found myself understanding the reactions of both Troi and Riker. What an aweful situation. And though I do like Dr. Ree, I found myself seeing him almost as I picture Troi was seeing him, and I was annoyed.

I had to wonder about the not-so-platonic hug. I almost hope we see more of this geting developped because it has so much potential (though I DO NOT want to see Will cheating on Deanna) I have to ask myself how you hide your affections for your captain when he is married to an empath???? And given the history between Vale and Troi I she some interesting potential.

Anyhow, that is my perspective. Thank you, Mr. Mack, for an excellent read, very well done. Now that you have spurred me out of hiding I am sure everyone will hear alot more from me, for good or for bad!
Old October 9 2008, 04:44 AM   #206
David Mack
Writer

^ Thanks for your comments, Casey. As for having spurred you out of hiding, I can only hope that I haven't created a monster.

Old October 9 2008, 05:03 AM   #207
JeremyW
Commander

David Mack wrote: View Post
^ Thanks for your comments, Casey. As for having spurred you out of hiding, I can only hope that I haven't created a monster.
Which really means that he hopes he hasn't created another monster...those baddies in the Taurus Reach... you and Wardilmore created enough interesting creatures out there to last a lifetime.

And then let's not forget the monster lab you created at Grennokar Prison in Warpath

And then, let's not forget Prime Minister Kinchawn...he's a monster, firing those cannons like that....

So, Dave's created monsters aplenty. He hopes you don't become one. Welcome Casey to the TrekBBS System.
Old October 9 2008, 07:23 PM   #208
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I very much enjoyed this book. When I first heard about it I had the same reaction as some (ugh, Borg) but while the Borg are involved in this story they're almost like a McGuffin because their actions drive the other characters they themselves aren't overly important to the story. Obviously, they have nothing to do with the 22nd century portions, which I very much enjoyed.

I did find Foyle to have gone off the deep end rather easily (and the MACOs under him as well) but I guess this is a play on the Starfleet/MACO resentment we saw in Enterprise as well a result of the time dilation affect ending up meaning that the crew was overly detached from what was going on with Earth. Getting back to where they should have been in time was too much of a carrot for Foyle to pass up I guess.

I did have some questions...what was the mechanism that the mutineers used to destroy the third city (not where they were nor where Hernandez was)? Are we to assume Foyle died along with the rest of the crew onboard Columbia? Hernandez and the aliens ended up way out where the Titan found them, The Columbia ended up in the Gamma Quadrant after passing through that tunnel, where did the third group (the mutineers that stayed on the city that survived) end up?

Nice work on giving the origin of the Azure Nebula, btw.

Forgive me if I'm misremembering about anything, I read it during a hectic work week and plan to re-read.

All in all, I really liked this book. I feel silly for having had reservations. I've never disliked a David Mack work (Harbinger is one of my favorite ST books) and I shouldn't have doubted.
Old October 9 2008, 07:27 PM   #209
spocksbrain
Lieutenant Commander

I'm about 100 pages in and I'm fighting the urge to just stop reading it. It's not that it's bad, it's just that nothing of interest has happened yet. Is something going to happen? Presumably so, but it's going really slowly.

Except for Troi, Riker, Picard, etc., I don't know any of the other characters, nor do I care about them. I feel like all of these new characters are wasting my time. And it's been 100 pages introducing them all with no actual story. The one encounter with the Borg so far, the Enterprise blew up the cube in about 10 seconds. So much for great action.

Somebody please tell me that something of interest happens ...
spocksbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2008, 07:40 PM   #210
Christopher
Writer

spocksbrain wrote: View Post
Except for Troi, Riker, Picard, etc., I don't know any of the other characters, nor do I care about them. I feel like all of these new characters are wasting my time. And it's been 100 pages introducing them all with no actual story. The one encounter with the Borg so far, the Enterprise blew up the cube in about 10 seconds. So much for great action.
Fundamentally, story is driven by character. The characters are the story. The action is just a means to explore them.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote