Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 19 2008, 05:20 AM   #1
davidant32
Commodore

What was the point of FC?

I know, it's a favorite, especially with the TNG crew. But really, what are the Borg doing? I thought they were interested in Humanity for its technology, but Earth has worthless technology in the 21st century. It's not like the Borg need to eliminate this great Federation threat, which has been able to only destroy 2 cubes (out of thousands?) at a cost of many Starfleet ships. How about an "all-out invasion" constitute more than a SINGLE cube?? Especially since the Borg have a transwarp conduit right on Earth's doorstep (according to "Endgame"). I seem to recall the Voyager episode "Dauntless" where the alien described "hundreds of cubes" just around his single planet, much less an entire Federation. Do the Borg need a source of drones? I doubt they would pick Earth, considering all the drawbacks listed by the Queen in "Dark Frontier," not to mention that BEFORE WWIII would've been a better choice (600 million more drones). Plus I don't think that they're running short on drones.

The only thing I can think of is that the Borg want a foothold in the Alpha Quadrant. But without Earth, all that delicious (or not? not too effective vs. Borg) Starfleet technology doesn't exist, and so they would begin assimilating species with also not-too-impressive technology in that century (save for the Vulcans). The Borg should just send a few hundred cubes straight to Earth and collect all that great 24th-century tech and be done with it. Stop the clever ploys that don't add up.

Last edited by davidant32; September 19 2008 at 08:20 AM.
davidant32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 05:27 AM   #2
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: What was the point of FC?

There is a force more powerful, more fearsome than the Borg...

...the Writers.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 05:31 AM   #3
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Starflee has shown they have the ability to come up with ingenious tactics and weapons. I imagine the Borg calculated that the Federation may become a threat and launched a minor mission to keep them from ever becoming so by removing the main driving force (Humans).
Old September 19 2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Timo
Admiral

Then again, we should remember that the Borg are using time travel to retroactively change history. This carries a clear implication: they can do it again, and again, and again, until they get it right, or destroy themselves so that they can't make another attempt.

Since the Borg still exist at the conclusion of the movie (as established in VOY), we must therefore conclude that the Borg mission in ST:FC was a complete success.

And, really, it looks like one. There we have this deluded hillbilly from Earth who couldn't put together a warp drive even if a 24th century engineer showed him how. But now the Borg lure that engineer, along with his entire staff, to help the hillbilly "rebuild" his piece of junk into a warpship - and lo, the technological miracle that is the Federation is given a kickstart.

It probably didn't happen all at once, during a single loop. What we witness might be the ninety-fourth loop, with LaForge's contribution now limited to making small refinements to Cochrane's design rather than building it from scratch. After this final loop, the iterative process is complete, and the ship that Cochrane designs will be the same that LaForge learned about at school, and hence the ship that LaForge helps Cochrane build.

What would originally have been a cesspool of stagnated cultures, with the low-tech Romulans and Klingons fighting ankle deep in the ashes of the Vulcan civilization, now becomes a unified high-tech Federation, an endless source of quality assimilables for the Collective.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 09:21 AM   #5
Ebuntor
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow, I really like that theory Timo. Makes perfect sense and it gives First Contact a lot more dept.

Using your theory we could also assume the first cube that was send in BoBW was an incentive for the Federation to start developing anti-Borg countermeasures: Defiant class, quantum torpedoes etc.
Taking it even further we could say "Endgame" too was a whole setup to allow Voyager to take back all that future technology although it seems kinda excessive for the Borg since it ended with their entire Unicomplex and transwarp network being destroyed. But heck if the tech is worth it to the Collective, who knows.
Ebuntor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 08:51 PM   #6
davidant32
Commodore

Timo wrote: View Post
What would originally have been a cesspool of stagnated cultures, with the low-tech Romulans and Klingons fighting ankle deep in the ashes of the Vulcan civilization, now becomes a unified high-tech Federation, an endless source of quality assimilables for the Collective.

I see... so you liken the Borg to what could be thought of as "galactic farmers," in that they manipulate time to 'seed' various/promising parts of the galaxy in the past, 'cultivate' it with repeated time incursions, and then 'harvest' slowly (in the case of the Federation) or just slaughter altogether. Interesting....
Old September 19 2008, 09:02 PM   #7
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

We have no idea how many times it took for the current timeline to occur. I do not think the Borg at that time to be that inventive/creative.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 02:36 AM   #8
startrekfiero
Lieutenant Commander

..or, maybe the whole point of FC was just to be entertaining..
startrekfiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 04:45 AM   #9
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Teh quean wuz sexi.

About as much thought as Braga and Moore put into the script, apparently--check the Details artticle which tried to sell FC on its sex ap- , I'm sorry, it's sex , no, really , its sex appeal . It's the article that gave us the infamous 50 ft woman quote from Braga. Yeah, that about sums it up. And yet it's still hands-down the best of the TNG films. Go figure.
Old September 20 2008, 05:04 AM   #10
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Teh quean wuz sexi.

And yet it's still hands-down the best of the TNG films. Go figure.

Nope..Just proves to me that GENERATIONS is still the best TNG movie...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 05:20 AM   #11
Gagarin
Commander

Timo wrote: View Post
Then again, we should remember that the Borg are using time travel to retroactively change history. This carries a clear implication: they can do it again, and again, and again, until they get it right, or destroy themselves so that they can't make another attempt.

Since the Borg still exist at the conclusion of the movie (as established in VOY), we must therefore conclude that the Borg mission in ST:FC was a complete success.

And, really, it looks like one. There we have this deluded hillbilly from Earth who couldn't put together a warp drive even if a 24th century engineer showed him how. But now the Borg lure that engineer, along with his entire staff, to help the hillbilly "rebuild" his piece of junk into a warpship - and lo, the technological miracle that is the Federation is given a kickstart.

It probably didn't happen all at once, during a single loop. What we witness might be the ninety-fourth loop, with LaForge's contribution now limited to making small refinements to Cochrane's design rather than building it from scratch. After this final loop, the iterative process is complete, and the ship that Cochrane designs will be the same that LaForge learned about at school, and hence the ship that LaForge helps Cochrane build.

Timo Saloniemi
If only the writers were able to do that kind of mind-screw.
Gagarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 12:37 PM   #12
Timo
Admiral

They did go for the "Borg fake an attack in order to promote the development of technologies" plot in the VOY episode "Child's Play"... Too bad our heroes never saw the wider connection!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2008, 07:16 PM   #13
22 Stars
Commodore

The point of FC was to make a 'Borg' movie. Becuase the Borg were 'kewl'. The movie, as popular as it was is just not THAT good IMO.

If you look at the zero gravity scene by itself, and just imagine what else the writers could have come up with to fill that 15 or 20 minutes. I mean that 'action' scene is just so slow and lame it bothers me each time I try to watch the movie. The pacing just sucks, the effects are passable but not exciting, it just slows the whole movie down.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2008, 10:42 PM   #14
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Teh quean wuz sexi.

And yet it's still hands-down the best of the TNG films. Go figure.

Nope..Just proves to me that GENERATIONS is still the best TNG movie...

Rob
To you. As far as I'm concerned, that movie's plot was even more arbitrary, made even less sense and was something FC had the good graces not to be, even with all its flaws: skull-crushingly dull.
Old October 3 2008, 06:46 AM   #15
WalkinMan
Commodore

On a contrarian note, and not necessarily one I agree with, Seven of Nine states in "Relativity"...

SEVEN: The Borg once travelled back in time to stop Zefram Cochrane from breaking the warp barrier. They succeeded, but that in turn led the Starship Enterprise to intervene. They assisted Cochrane with the flight the Borg was trying to prevent. Causal loop complete.
DUCANE: So, in a way, the Federation owes its existence to the Borg.
SEVEN: You're welcome.
So the actual point of FC was for the Borg to be there in order to cause Zefram Cochrane to finish his warp ship, thereby leading to the creation of the Federation, a unique source of plunderable technologies for the future...maybe only the Queen knew this...maybe subconsciously...
WalkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote